How do you catalog your collection? Show some screenshots!

anything and nothing
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

How do you catalog your collection? Show some screenshots!

Post by vinyl master » 03 Apr 2017 09:30

OK, guys...Our man Frank here put out another video about how he uses Excel spreadsheets to catalog his collection...

I use the OrangeCD program, and have been using it for 5-6 years now...I absolutely love it! I have several different databases according to genre of music, and I've even catalogued books, sheet music and equipment...Take a look at a few screenshots...

My classical database...
Part of my classic rock database...
My Jack White/White Stripes 7" collection in a nutshell...
And some screenshots of all my 60's soft-pop records...

I don't have everything in alpahabetical order yet like Frank does, but it's a work in progress...I catalog them as I can, and I can rearrange things later...

I usually have a reference number for each album, the artist, the title, the label, the year, the format (LP, CD, Audio Cassette, etc.), the genre or a category for each one, and a location (whether that be a box of sorts or a particular numbered shelf)...I have been adding new albums steadily for a while, and with a slew of purchases recently, I've had more to add, but it's coming along nicely! I also have the option to add artwork to each entry and any notes at the end about condition, price, producer credits, and anything else I want to add about that particular album...I also back up my databases every so often, so I always have access to them one way or another...It's very handy, and a neatly organized way to keep track of all of my albums...When you're burgeoning on 15,000 (12,000 not that long ago) LP's and 8,000 or so 45's, you need something to corral them all...For insurance purposes, it can also be good, so my question is...What do you guys do to catalogue your collections? :-k If you can, why not show some screenshots of how your database looks! I'd love to see some pics! :mrgreen:

michaelrandrews

Re: How do you catalog your collection? Show some screenshot

Post by michaelrandrews » 03 Apr 2017 17:25

Discogs!

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 03 Apr 2017 18:48

I use a P2P based system (pencil to paper). The list automatically organises itself by purchase date.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 03 Apr 2017 19:28

On my shelves, by genre, and within genre, alphabetical by band or composer in case of the classical records.

The same with my tapes. The Grateful Dead concerts (a few hundred cassettes) sorted by concert date. 8)

My digital collection is cataloged via iTunes.

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 03 Apr 2017 22:26

Another one for Discogs

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 03 Apr 2017 22:49

RockerFrank wrote:I use a P2P based system (pencil to paper). The list automatically organises itself by purchase date.
Amazing how that works.

+another 1 for discogs. I recently catalogued my whole collection there after I saw that you only have to start typing a title and pretty quickly you see your record in the suggested results. This made the process go really fast.

sebrof

Post by sebrof » 04 Apr 2017 02:16

I have used Music Collectorz for 5 years or so.
The primary reason I started was because it syncs with my phone so that I don't buy something I already have.

https://www.collectorz.com/?from=google ... AkQL8P8HAQ

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Apr 2017 04:30

I like that you guys use Discogs...Still, I'm very old-school like Frank...I became very frustrated that a good portion of my collection was not even listed on Discogs or that the details differentiated from my actual copy of the record...So, I went DIY...When I tabulate all the data, I have the ACTUAL record and label in front of me, so that I can get the info right the first time! I like Discogs as another tool for buying and adding to my wantlist, but for cataloguing, I felt I needed something more...I can see how it would be useful if you have a lot of common albums...My collection can border on the rare and obscure with all sorts of odd ephemera in between (Flexi-discs, postcard records, polka compilations, cassette singles, children's albums, spoken word lectures, etc.)...There have even been occasions when I couldn't find the cover art for some of my albums online anywhere! Or I found a different or alternate cover for the same album, just not my particular pressing...For example, I have an LP from a local jazz group, The Vince Mance Trio, but I can't find anything but one of their singles on Discogs...I think with local or regional artists, Discogs can be problematic...Of course, YMMV!

That said, if any of you guys use any program other than Discogs, the nerdy side of me still wants to see a few screenshots! :mrgreen:

Maybe it's just me, but peering into others' vast and varied collections can often be a fascinating trip, and sometimes it turns me on to music I hadn't considered before! We're all die-hard music lovers here, so there's no need to be ashamed! :wink:

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 04 Apr 2017 06:30

I started to catalog my records once with Access, but never got past the Edisons, as the computer I had began crashing about 2005. That said, I just successfully reinstalled Office 97 back onto my 2 year old Windows 10 laptop in record room the other day. We also just bought a laser printer :-k
IMG_1894.JPG
(929.73 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Apr 2017 07:32

Big B5515 wrote:I started to catalog my records once with Access, but never got past the Edisons, as the computer I had began crashing about 2005. That said, I just successfully reinstalled Office 97 back onto my 2 year old Windows 10 laptop in record room the other day. We also just bought a laser printer :-k
IMG_1894.JPG
Sounds like another great project to keep you busy, Big B! I would definitely (at least) get a flash drive or two to back it up on, unless you have an external drive...I do both, to be safe! What's important is that your process works for you! :D You probably haven't even begun to do the cylinders...How many cylinders, 78's, and other discs do you think you have so far? How about the LP's? :-k

I must say that having a system, even a system I can use when the Internet isn't working properly, is a lifesaver...I can still get into my program and make adjustments, even if I can't get online...Another advantage over Discogs! Plus, I'm always tweaking things, so it's a work in progress! That new laser printer should come in handy, too, should you ever want to print out a listing of what you have...I've printed hard copies of my databases for reference, too, and keep them in a binder, with copies elsewhere...Sure I'm meticulous, but this hobby does make you a little "anal" sometimes...It's the Virgo perfectionist in me, I guess! :roll:

When I've cleaned, organized and catalogued a stack of albums to my satisfaction, I do feel like I've done a little bit more for my collection, and it allows me to focus more on enjoying it!

When you make the time for it, it's a worthwhile effort! :D

sebrof

Post by sebrof » 04 Apr 2017 13:20

sebrof wrote:I have used Music Collectorz for 5 years or so.
The primary reason I started was because it syncs with my phone so that I don't buy something I already have.

https://www.collectorz.com/?from=google ... AkQL8P8HAQ
Here's a screenshot.
No internet required except WiFi to sync with your phone, and if you want the program to find the album for you when you enter it into the db.
Attachments
Collectorz.JPG
Random Screenshot
(183.68 KiB) Downloaded 1022 times

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 04 Apr 2017 13:53

vinyl master wrote:I like that you guys use Discogs...Still, I'm very old-school like Frank...I became very frustrated that a good portion of my collection was not even listed on Discogs or that the details differentiated from my actual copy of the record...
Yep. I had to list a few dozen records myself on discogs in order to catalog my collection. At this point, discogs only works for cataloging if you're willing to add to the listings.

As for the different versions of a release, I gave up on that for the most part with discogs because there seems to be a lot of confusion on the topic. But that suits my needs fine, because when I'm shopping, I just want to be able to see what I have & don't have before buying something new. I used it (on my phone) in the store the other day, and it stopped me from buying a record I already had.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 05 Apr 2017 06:23

vinyl master wrote:
Sounds like another great project to keep you busy, Big B! I would definitely (at least) get a flash drive or two to back it up on, unless you have an external drive...I do both, to be safe! What's important is that your process works for you! :D You probably haven't even begun to do the cylinders...How many cylinders, 78's, and other discs do you think you have so far? How about the LP's? :-k
! :D
I do have almost all of the cylinders, and diamond discs cataloged, and was going to begin on the 78s, but never did. The old files are backed up in several places, but may need some editing\ additions. A check of the original floppy disc backup on bedroom pc shows 63- 2 minute cylinders, and 131- 4 minute cylinders besides the 124 diamond discs. A few more diamond discs and 4 minute cylinders were added since last entry, and a couple 4 min. duplicates went with an Amberola 50 I sold 6 years back, so an inventory is due. Access worked well for these records (mostly Edison) which are cataloged by record number, and may be good for 78 & 45 singles as well, but another system would be needed to keep track of what's on the LPs and albums. For that, I may look into slightly more up to date software, if I ever get motivated to begin the task. I always kept a printout of these 3 lists in the drawers with the records.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Apr 2017 08:22

Big B5515 wrote:
vinyl master wrote:
! :D
I do have almost all of the cylinders, and diamond discs cataloged, and was going to begin on the 78s, but never did. The old files are backed up in several places, but may need some editing\ additions. A check of the original floppy disc backup on bedroom pc shows 63- 2 minute cylinders, and 131- 4 minute cylinders besides the 124 diamond discs. A few more diamond discs and 4 minute cylinders were added since last entry, and a couple 4 min. duplicates went with an Amberola 50 I sold 6 years back, so an inventory is due. Access worked well for these records (mostly Edison) which are cataloged by record number, and may be good for 78 & 45 singles as well, but another system would be needed to keep track of what's on the LPs and albums. For that, I may look into slightly more up to date software, if I ever get motivated to begin the task. I always kept a printout of these 3 lists in the drawers with the records.
Every so often, it's good to take an inventory, especially with spring cleaning just around the corner! :wink: If you were to estimate, how many 78's and 45's do you THINK you have? :-k You could always start with the 78's and work your way to the other formats eventually...I've done my catalog in stages and built it up over time, when I've set myself some time to devote to it...I'm proud of where I've gotten it to now! I started listing 100 records...Soon, I had 500 listed, and I just kept going...One nice thing about my program, OrangeCD, is that you can try the free version out...I liked it so much, and I wanted to save all my work to that point, I just bought the registration license key and away I went...Every time I've used a new computer, I've always been able to re-install OrangeCD with my registration number, and continue my database where I left off...Plus, the forums are a great place to ask questions...You can check it all out here...

http://www.firetongue.com/
http://www.firetongue.com/boards/index.php

Andrei has been good in the past about answering questions, regarding the program, issues and any updates!

For a large collection, and at least for me so far, it's the only way to go! 8)

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 05 Apr 2017 09:08

Best estimate on the singles, I'd guess maybe 200 45s, and at least 1000 78s. I'll have to look into both OrangeCD, and Excel sometime when I get a chance.