Stanton 500 replacement stylus question

the thin end of the wedge
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Stanton 500 replacement stylus question

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jul 2016 19:00

Hey, guys...As you may know, I recently got a hold of this Dual 1019 with a Stanton 500 cartridge attached...

I've been looking through lots of info, and I think I've narrowed things down to a few choices...Here's what I've uncovered...

Kabusa.com has this great chart...Check the fourth set of listings down...

https://kabusa.com/stantonx.htm

I was reading this, too...

viewtopic.php?t=15763

And while I don't frequent AK much, I also happened upon this discussion here...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index. ... us.222078/

Looking at what beatcomber said...

"How will you use it? There are many many options available for the good ol' Stanton 500.

I use mine exclusively for vintage 45s and '50s mono LPs, and have it fitted with a Stanton D5100-ALII .007mm conical stylus.

For general hifi use I would recommend a Stanton D71EE .003 x .007mm elliptical.

There is also a variety of 78 styli available too..."

and what SA-708 said...

"The D71EE is built for the L720, the p-mount version of the 500, and will work on a 500.

That photo isn't accurate; the D71EE is narrower than that."

I think the D71EE might work for general duty...

Our own KentT says..."Get yourself a Elliptical stylus (the P-Mount version works well here). Tracking force 1-2 grams VTF. For Styrene 45 RPM duty, the 500A stylus tracks superbly at the same force range and is spherical. Excellent for broadcast use and disco use and applications which need ruggedness. Excellent sounding with better stylus options. Can have fun and work for a living if needed."

Then, ke4jhj said..."Stanton's own website has errors on it concerning their cartridges. It list the D71EE stylus as a .3 X .7 mil elliptical, but actually it is a .4 x .7 mil. The D71EE is the recommended replacement by KABUSA to use to replace the now obsolete D50E. Although not as wide as the original, the D71EE fits the 500 cartridge with no problem.

lpgear.com has a generic replacement for the D5100EE stylus which is a .3x.7 mil. and garage-a-records.com also carries aftermarket Rek-o-kut styli for the 500 in 1 mil conical and 1.2 mil elliptical sizes. "

So, my question is...the P-Mount version would work?

This one doesn't seem to get good reviews across the board...

https://www.amazon.com/Stanton-D71EE-St ... B000LIWNEM

This a little better, but with mixed reviews again...

https://www.amazon.com/Stanton-D71EE-St ... AVA30V6AZJ

The 5100E here looks very good...

https://www.amazon.com/D5100E-Stanton-T ... 5RMR12W0DT

So, I'm thinking about going with either Gary again or Kabusa.com...

I think an elliptical for my good records, and a 78' stylus are in my sights now...

1. Gary has the D71ee replacement here...

http://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part ... ategories=

4826-DE for $17.00, and it tracks from 0.75 to 1.5 g

2. They also have the D5100E replacement...Pfanstiehl 4820-DE for $14.50 that tracks at 3.5 g...

http://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part ... ategories=

3. The 4820-D3 is a 78' stylus that tracks at 3-7 g and is $17.25

Here, on kabusa.com's web site, they have 4. an EVG (possibly JICO-made) PM4023DE for a meager $20.00, and they say it replaces the P-Mount (same as 500EmkII)...It should work on the 500, no?

https://kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/stantonhifi.htm

5. There's a generic D5127 78 stylus there for $27...

On the same site, there is 6. a generic EVG PM4204DE, which replaces the D5100E, also JICO-branded for $23.95...Fits all 500's new and old, they say...

One or two of those six is on my radar...I'm leaning towards the JICO EVG's again, but am not sure...Know anything about the Pfanstiehls on this one? I thought I'd run this by you guys to get your thoughts...I'm basically looking for a general duty-elliptical stylus to play my good 45's and possibly a decent-sounding 78' stylus...

Any thoughts are welcome again...

Someone mentioned that the Tonar-branded styli are good, too, but where to find the right one?

By all means, if there is an option I've missed, please let me know...
Last edited by vinyl master on 07 Jul 2016 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Stanton 500 replacement stylus question

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jul 2016 19:23

I also have an original Pickering stylus from Gary for my V-15 AME3...It has the brush...Maybe it would work, too?

Still, it's good to have other options, as well, and I may want one or two strictly for this Stanton cart alone...

needlewhine

Post by needlewhine » 07 Jul 2016 21:46

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want a heavier tracking stylus--say over 2.5g, there are plenty of styli that are very nice and sound great like the Pfanstiehl 4820-DE .3 x .7 elliptical.

For light tracking, though, nothing you've listed is going to be better than that V15/AME3 which is a light tracking elliptical--should be .3 x .7, but if it's old it could be something like .5 x .8. Nonetheless, it's light tracking and has excellent highs and detail.

The Pfanstiehl 4826-DE is not likely going to satisfy you unless you can track it a little heavier--of the top of my head I think the few I had needed like 2.5g. That 4826-DE is sold for P Mount duty and it fails at 1.25g--it's way too sibilant at 1.25g.

The Jico D71EE replacement, which is the same as the EVG 4024DE is good. It won't be sibilant, but the highs are also rolled off--muted somehow. Not my cup of tea.

The OEM D71EE is both .4 x .7 and .3 x .7 elliptical. The later Florida ones are .3 x .7--I think they were just using up old tips. Visually, you can't tell any difference. I think that my later .3 x .7 might have white lettering while the older .4 x .7 ones have silver lettering. But I'm not sure. I don't mix them up.
In any event, the chances are worse than 50/50 that you'll get a sibilant one at 1.25g, so they are not reliable for P Mount use. I have plenty of them that are great at 1.25g--silky, smooth, everything you want. But I've got more that are crap.

The best stylus I found was the D5300E MKIII. It's a .4 x .7 elliptical for the later 500 MKIII. It's got a unique plastic grip that fits all 500, V15 and the P Mount versions and is good enough to track superbly at 1.25g. Sounds fabulous. Hard to come by these days though. A guy on ebay had a pretty substantial stash very recently though and I blabbed and now they're gone, I think. Wouldn't hurt to keep checking though.

Sources for nice light-tracking ellipticals are drying up. Vickers had a nice D-5-E that I was recommending for a long time if you didn't mind paying $50. It's excellent. But those have gone the way of the dinosaur within the last few months, too.

I'm a big fan of the TEI 791D which can be found on ebay, if you don't mind tracking at DJ forces of over 3g. It's $10 and you can't beat it for sound. It sounds and plays just like my NOS OEM 500AL-II on my SL1200.

One of the nicest, easy to get ellipticals that will fit that cartridge anymore is the OEM Pickering DE from LPGear for $34.95. I've been recommending that one lately. I have had no problems at all with the ones I've got. They are built to a higher standard, I guess, than the Pickering D71EE even if they are the same design and spec. One person recently complained that the one he got had a problem with sibilance. That was the first and only complaint I've heard of about this stylus.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 08 Jul 2016 12:08

On aftermarket styli for these for LP and 45 duty, Jico is the one reliable consistent generic supplier. Pfanstiehl is a crapshoot (they no longer actually make their own styli). Tonar styli are also great, EV Game if Japanese sourced good. Swiss sourced, avoid. Originals still the best.

haroldj1923

Post by haroldj1923 » 08 Jul 2016 22:07

The best for the 500 was the D5100EE- a light tracking 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical. Recommended tracking force 1.0 to 2.0 grams (1.5 optimal). Black with a metallic gold mark on the front. The original genuine Stanton is now hard to find but there is one on ebay.

needlewhine

Post by needlewhine » 09 Jul 2016 02:58

KentT wrote:On aftermarket styli for these for LP and 45 duty, Jico is the one reliable consistent generic supplier. Pfanstiehl is a crapshoot (they no longer actually make their own styli). Tonar styli are also great, EV Game if Japanese sourced good. Swiss sourced, avoid. Originals still the best.
Forgot about those Tonars that suddenly appeared on eBay in recent months. The one I got for the 681 is very good. I have yet to try the one for the 500.
Last edited by needlewhine on 09 Jul 2016 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

needlewhine

Post by needlewhine » 09 Jul 2016 03:02

haroldj1923 wrote:The best for the 500 was the D5100EE- a light tracking 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical. Recommended tracking force 1.0 to 2.0 grams (1.5 optimal). Black with a metallic gold mark on the front. The original genuine Stanton is now hard to find but there is one on ebay.
I got one of those a while back but not from that seller. I really looked forward to it. I spent about $60 on it. Alas, it was sibilant as hell. It needed well over 2.5g to kill sibilance--so in the end about as good as a $15 aftermarket stylus. Very disappointing. Hopefully, that seller would take a return if it turns out to be as average as mine was.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Jul 2016 11:32

I have a Pickering XV-15 which I've used a Stanton stylus on.

Are there any Pickering stylii that will work on the Stanton 500 cartridge and vice-versa such as Stanton stylii on the Pickering V-15 cartridge?

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 09 Jul 2016 11:47

Yes, that's what the KAB chart is for:

https://kabusa.com/stantonx.htm

It is not complete though. And with the mind-boggling amount of different styli that would be a hard task to accomplish...

There is a guy who wrote a book (!) about all things Stanton and Pickering, his name is Richard something, needlewhine will probably know (or is actually him?).

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jul 2016 12:01

I'm in no rush at the moment, but I am looking at all the available avenues...Who'd have thought that one cartridge can elicit so many responses from people, or have so many stylus options??? But, I'll take all of this into advisement before making a purchase...If you guys still have any thoughts or recommendations to add here, keep them coming! Do any of you guys actually have this cartridge, and what do you use (or what have you used)? :-k

needlewhine

Post by needlewhine » 09 Jul 2016 23:25

Yes I have a ton of V15 and 500 carts. Why? Because plenty of times I just want the stylus and it comes with the cart, like those two very rare 500 MKII EE carts that are on eBay right now for very attractive prices.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 10 Jul 2016 03:44

Like needlewhine, with me, Stanton and Pickering spoken here. My professional reference cartridges I use in broadcasting and playing records at home, and for transfers and archival work. And I am here to assist and to serve you on how to keep the records playing to their finest, new or old.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 05 Dec 2016 23:46

needlewhine wrote:I'm a big fan of the TEI 791D which can be found on ebay, if you don't mind tracking at DJ forces of over 3g. It's $10 and you can't beat it for sound. It sounds and plays just like my NOS OEM 500AL-II on my SL1200.
Thanks to your recommendation, I'm now a fan of this stylus as well. I bought one a few months ago but hadn't gotten around to trying it until today. I put it on an old Realistic RS500DJ (rebadged Stanton 500AL Mk-something), and it really does sound just like the OEM stylus. The treble might be just a tiny bit more rolled-off than the OEM, but not objectionably so. High-priced cart makers call that "warmth." :wink:

Here's the link to find it on the 'bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turntable-Needl ... 3cdc7d5637

Free shipping, too. (I had to pay a couple bucks for shipping when I bought mine.)

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 06 Dec 2016 00:05

I have a generic D5127 78 stylus on a 500 that I find to be excellent for playing 78s on my Garrard 4HF. The heavier tracking weight (up to 7 grams) is useful as many 78s are less than pristine :) , and the sound is excellent.

For 45s and 50s LPs I use a 400 in a different headshell, so haven't used the 500 that way.

jgifford25

Post by jgifford25 » 07 Dec 2016 04:39

I have the D71EE and a D70E styli for the P style cartridge I'm using with my Stanton 500 cartridge. Both of those styli do a really good job with the cartridge. And they're about your only option for original Stanton styli. Seems Stanton is getting out of the cartridge business, which also means the styli business.

Aftermarket styi, there are lots of options for the Stanton 500 in many flavors with similarities to the original Stanton designs. If you have reviewed LP Gear, you should have an idea of the variations you can find with their aftermarket listings. And as you pointed out, LP Gear suggests the D71EE as an option for the Stanton 500.

I may be wrong, but I've not seen any original Stanton styli for the Stanton 500 cartridge with options of a brush. If there were any, it was probably and aftermarket model or a Pickering.