Stereo, Mono .reverse !.

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
whitenoise
England

Stereo, Mono ....reverse !.

Post by whitenoise » 06 Feb 2016 09:48

My pre amp has a switch which has 3 possible settings, one is Stereo, one is Mono and the 3rd is Reverse. I'm pretty sure on the 1st 2 and I'm guessing that the Reverse setting has something to do with polarity ....but what does this actually do to the sound, I cant tell if its just "swapping" the channels left to right ..info on this would be appreciated

Rich.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Stereo, Mono ....reverse !.

Post by circularvibes » 06 Feb 2016 10:22

Yes, the reverse setting simply swaps your right and left channels, no phase changes or reversing mono to stereo. It has been used when one's sitting position is reversed or when you have reason to move things around.

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 06 Feb 2016 10:53

...I may be missing something but what would reversing my sitting position actually in tale, I can only think that it must mean sitting with my back facing the speakers ! ..if I were to reverse my sitting position and my speakers too so that I would again face my speakers then stereo would still be "as it was" before with left still been left and right still right if you get my drift ..

Rich

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 06 Feb 2016 12:14

You understand the concept. Think of the possibility of sitting at a desk, then choosing to sit facing away from the desk, or perhaps having your stereo speakers between two rooms, you can direct the proper position without changing wires.

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 06 Feb 2016 12:42

I understand the concept but what I'm failing to comprehend is, for example why would anyone want to sit facing away from a desk, now and again maybe but it would not make any sense to sit facing away from a desk on a permanent basis as that would make the desk somewhat redundant until you turn to face it again. If you wanted to face the opposite way then it would be a prerequisite that the desk be in front of you, whichever way you wanted to face. I'm definitely starting to question my reasoning regarding this topic ...if I wanted to face the opposite way in my room I would surely put my speakers in front of me + my TV and coffee table too otherwise we are in "Alice through the looking glass" territory. I wouldn't need to change anything as everything would be the same, apart from the direction I'm facing.

Your (perplexed)
Rich.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 06 Feb 2016 12:56

Many of us have rooms that by necessity require them to be multi-functional, hence the desk analogy. The other situation I mentioned is supposing you have two rooms opposite each other, such as a living room and dining room/library/den/etc.where you can only have one system, one pair of speakers, but require usage in two rooms. Also, another possible use is to correct a poor recording where channels are reversed, whether by user error or necessity. In the early days of two channel systems, you did not have left and right, you had channels one and two. While we might assume that channel one is left, the engineer of the individual recording may have assumed the opposite. Rather than reversing wires every time you play that recording, you can just turn a switch. Basically the switch is a throwback to early twin channel hifi.

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 06 Feb 2016 13:12

I think I understand. If in these 1 and 2 channel recordings the engineer assigned track 1 as left and track 2 as right or indeed the opposite how would one know which way around the engineer had assigned the two channels ?.

Rich

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 06 Feb 2016 14:56

I had a DVD player that had the left and right audio channels reversed, when run through the TV to my stereo. That switch would have fixed that.

Cheers,
Alec

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 06 Feb 2016 19:14

I can see where that would be useful, I had a set of h/phones that switched around the signal too ...but if I hadn't have played with the balance knob, or indeed not had a balance (pan pot) how would I have known ?. I suppose I could have made an assumption that, in the case of a full orchestra there is, or was a school of thought that the instruments be placed in an order, left to right, top to bottom as to have a balanced frequency sweep which would aid in the mixing/mastering of any such recording ...but I doubt if anyone could instantly tell that a recording had been switched so left was right and right was now left, it would not sound any different surely ?.

Rich.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 06 Feb 2016 23:36

In the past i have found the "reverse" mode a useful tool in balancing out a system and for trouble shooting.

The same goes for a mono mode.

tubeactive

Post by tubeactive » 07 Feb 2016 01:00

Surprisingly, sometimes the reverse switch does more than simply achieve the "strings to the left" illusion and can "enhance" some mixes played back on your particular system.

For me, certain favorite bands always had the guitarist on a certain channel. Hearing him where he was onstage is important. While some sound engineers intentionally chose to mix in some possibly out of phase tracks for spatial or fill-in effect and other engineers may have done this unintentionally, the reverse switch can change the 3D illusion or soundstage effects. Check it out and enjoy the position that sounds best to you with your fave discs...

DualSpinsMyVinyl
United States of America

Post by DualSpinsMyVinyl » 07 Feb 2016 20:13

As others have said, it is used to swap left for right for those that are sticklers for proper orchestra placement where you can tell of the violins are on the right or left etc. Going back many years ago (this one will date me) when early stereo radio first came into being, one channel was broadcast on AM and the other was broad cast on FM. My parents bought a radio in the late 1950's early 60's that used both AM and FM to do stereo and there was not a standard as to which channel left or right was broadcast on. So there was a reverse switch to change left for right to make the orchestra sound correct. This phase in stereo radio was short lived probably because FM was slow to catch on in the early years especially where we lived, so we never had a radio station that was using this feature. The salesman saw my folks coming. There are few receivers out there that will do this any more. Ours is long gone. Not many remember that one.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 07 Feb 2016 21:08

Also there are some records that have the channels switched over at the pressing stage (for whatever reason?)
For instance I have two copies of Fragile by UK prog band Yes from 1971, one original from the UK and another from the US, a repress from 1977 which has right and left switched over!
Relatively trivial I know, but if you were greatly bothered by this you could 'reverse' it back again!

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 07 Feb 2016 21:25

Definitely some interesting stories attached to this thread, I'm enjoying the scope of peoples experiences.

DualSpinsMyVinyl, that's the strangest story I've heard regarding FM,AM radio, If had been around in those pioneering days I think I may have chosen as your parents did. Pity its not around anymore.

Pikey, have you any theories regarding the Yes LP and how the swap may have happened ?

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 07 Feb 2016 21:51

I read something a while back on another forum (Steve Hoffmans maybe?) about different stampers being used by Atlantic depending which plant was doing the pressing?