the home of the turntable

Source for AR Replacement Motors

american simplicity

Source for AR Replacement Motors

Postby ddarch » 10 Sep 2005 07:47

Though Hurst sells a replacement motor for the mid-eighties models, has anyone found a source for AR XA and XB motors, preferably one with a spindle that fits the current motor pulley?

Also, while on the topic of mid-80's motors, has anyone found an upgrade from the Hurst motor? Where? How much? What adaptations were needed? (Drill new holes, refit pulley???)

Dave
ddarch

Postby IronRinn » 11 Sep 2005 23:59

This may not be as helpful as you might like, Dave, but there are two options that I know of. The Origin Live DC motor kit, with outboard power supply, can be used on AR 'tables, according to their site. I believe the spindle size requires that you alter the top-plate to reposition it. Also, I had read somewhere (I believe on AK) that the 300rpm motor from a B.I.C. 940 can be used on the XA and XB, I'm not sure about the later models though.

Ross
IronRinn

Postby ddarch88 » 12 Sep 2005 12:07

Hi Ross,

Yeah, I knew the Origin Live kit worked, but being ever frugal, I was hoping there would be something a little less pricey. Over the past couple of years I have had two people say they were going to take up an AR Motor Upgrade project, but neither produced anything. (Yet, anyway.) I get at least an email a month from someone looking to upgrade...especially the motors on the mid-80's models.

As far as the XA/XB, there are always plenty of parts units out there, and even individual sales of the ever-reliable Haydon motors.

If you find the forum link discussing the BIC motors, send it along.

Dave
ddarch88

Postby IronRinn » 13 Sep 2005 06:40

Ok, I've never done this URL insert thingy so here goes. This is the link for the B.I.C. motor upgrade (under the tread for the openning of your wonderful site, ironically :D.) It's just a mention within the thread unfortunately (one of the last posts), not a tutorial. I figured you knew about the OL mod and you're right, they are way too expensive for me as well. Merrill's DC motor and power supply were even more, I believe. Also this search on AA brought up some interesting info on using a Linn motor and power supply. You don't have to reposition the motor apparently, you just have to get the 50hz AR motor pulley to replace the smaller, 60hz Linn pulley. This also seems a bit pricey though. I've been looking for a motor mod for my EB 101 for a while now. The vibrating of that motor when idle, even if it is normal, just makes me cringe :) . Hope this helps.
IronRinn

Re: Source for AR Replacement Motors

Postby Russellc » 22 Sep 2005 01:04

ddarch wrote:Though Hurst sells a replacement motor for the mid-eighties models, has anyone found a source for AR XA and XB motors, preferably one with a spindle that fits the current motor pulley?

Also, while on the topic of mid-80's motors, has anyone found an upgrade from the Hurst motor? Where? How much? What adaptations were needed? (Drill new holes, refit pulley???)

Dave

Very interesting and this needs to be addressed, I am very interested in such an upgrade.I have been told that the HUrst model RA-3915-001 is a high torque version that fits these tables, but I have never tried it. Someone pleas come up with a DIY motor upgrade, and matching power supply.

Russellc
Russellc

Postby ddarch » 22 Sep 2005 12:44

Russell,

I went to do a search on that motor at the Hurst site, and nothing came up.

Do you have a link?

I have made the appeal many times for someone retired or semi-retired to earn some extra money. I know from interest at my site that a good motor upgrade in the sub-250 dollar range that would be a near drop-in fit would sell well. (The same is true for AR/Thorens armboards and bases here in the US. Isn't there SOME retired woodworked willing to take this one?)

Oh well...

Dave
ddarch

Postby Tubedude » 22 Sep 2005 23:46

Re AR motors, I too have been searching diligently for a replacement motor; in that AR motors are notorious for bearing wear and subsequent audio noise.

I located what might be a "plug-in" motor:
http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl;jsessi ... ar%20motor

Now, I'm not sure if this is a Hurst, Princeton (what my TT has), or what. But it may be worth checking out. They want $100 for it.
Tubedude

Postby Russellc » 23 Sep 2005 05:34

Yes, try http://www.myhurst.com Then click products, then synchronous, so on.

Russellc
Russellc

Postby Russellc » 23 Sep 2005 05:45

Wow, I see what you mean. I swear I was looking at that motor under their listings, it was high torque, 300 rpm blah blah, but it sure isnt there today.
I sent them an email asking them to advise as to RA-3915-001. They are supposed to get back to me in 24 hrs. Will let you know.

Russellc
Russellc

Postby Russellc » 23 Sep 2005 05:53

Crap i feel like I'm in the twilight zone, I was just looking at that number a couple of days ago. The closet things I see now are the SC series, very high torque, also the SB 4011-001, SA 4009-001, or SA 4018-001. They are the only ones looking to be high torque, 300 rpm, and ball bearing I'll let you know what Hurst says.

Russellc
Russellc

Postby Tubedude » 23 Sep 2005 16:43

I, too, pored over the Hurst site and communicated with the sales agent. The 3009-001 appeared to have the best application for us. BUT she says this, and most of the others, are on a build-by-demand basis. If 25 of us order one, then they would construct. Otherwise, we gotta go through a distributor of Hurst products. This, unfortunately, limits the motor suite. She recommended a "similar" one which turned out to be a stepping motor!!
Tubedude

Postby Russellc » 23 Sep 2005 20:42

Tubedude wrote:I, too, pored over the Hurst site and communicated with the sales agent. The 3009-001 appeared to have the best application for us. BUT she says this, and most of the others, are on a build-by-demand basis. If 25 of us order one, then they would construct. Otherwise, we gotta go through a distributor of Hurst products. This, unfortunately, limits the motor suite. She recommended a "similar" one which turned out to be a stepping motor!!

Why would it be the best? it only has a fraction of the torque of the above mentioned motors and a sleeve bearing instead of ball bearings? I'm not saying your wrong, I just dont understand how low torque and cheap motor bearing would be better. That being said, I'm not all that up on turntable motors.

Russellc
Russellc

Postby Tubedude » 23 Sep 2005 21:02

Good question. It at least met the current torque output of the current motor (of which I had no issue - with power, that is) and I did weigh ball bearing vs. sleeve. I believed sleeve was better because there is little issue with surfaces vs. ball bearing, where any slight imprecision would be transferred to the media. Ball bearing would give an unlimited wear life, though.

Decisions...
Tubedude

Postby Tubedude » 23 Sep 2005 21:04

OH - sorry - another major consideration with the ball bearing is the fact the shaft is LESS than .125". The drive pully is a precision press-fit. A significantly smaller dia. shaft would prove a problem for sure!
Tubedude

Postby bauzace50 » 23 Sep 2005 21:16

One far-fetched suggestion, recognizing I don't know the issues at hand: Have you considered the special motor manufactured by VPI, called the SAMA? I wonder if this might do the job for an AR-XA?
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Next

Return to Acoustic Research