the home of the turntable

Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

twice the fun

Replacement of the Steuerpimpel

Postby sonicolone » 08 Aug 2011 05:13

Hi. I recently picked up a Dual 1264 and when I got home and tested it, none of the automatic functions worked. I opened it up, and found the black main control arm was sitting in the bottom of the base. I reattached it, but when the turntable cycles, the banana shaped metal piece with the little metal pin on it, circles around and gets stuck on the control arm and pops it off!

I have searches long and hard on this forum and others and can't seem to figure this one out. Any help would be greatly appreciated - this table sounds awesome as a manual table but I really want the automatic functions! Thanks.
sonicolone

Postby 3rd_Ear » 15 Aug 2011 22:13

Hi, sonicolone!

Your "Steuerpimpel" is gone. That's a small piece of plastic.

Maybe, this helps:

How to open the turntable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpuH-PTXzPk

(similar, but your turntable is mounted by three screws, Oh, and it's a belt-drive, so you might have to loosen the belt, before you take the platter off)

Oh ,there's also a new video, where you can watch the Steuerpimpel work it's magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWDPi8vkocY

Best regards,
Dirk
Regards, Dirk

Master of Re-Edit. Owner of the Internet. Hero of Cosmos.
3rd_Ear
contributor

Re: Dual 1264 - No Automatic Functions

Postby blistabusta » 28 Jan 2012 00:39

I realize that this thread is a bit old but I just want to thank the gentleman who uploaded the diagrams and gave this easy to follow description. This was very helpful.
blistabusta

Postby dualref » 29 Jan 2012 18:32

Yes, I agree. Those diagrams are priceless. If we had sticky threads, I'd recommend this become one.
dualref
contributor

Postby rbryan1984 » 31 Jan 2012 18:36

Would a bad pimpel prevent the tonearm from dropping when it swings over the platter? I have a 1215 and most of the automatic functions seem to work, but the arm isn't dropping. Would the lack of a cartridge also prevent it from dropping?
rbryan1984

United States of America

Postby dualref » 31 Jan 2012 19:45

Have you checked to make sure the cue control is disengaged to allow the tonearm to come down? Maybe it became disconnected under the table top.
dualref
contributor

Postby Alec124c41 » 01 Feb 2012 05:23

rbryan1984 wrote:Would a bad pimpel prevent the tonearm from dropping when it swings over the platter? I have a 1215 and most of the automatic functions seem to work, but the arm isn't dropping. Would the lack of a cartridge also prevent it from dropping?

Lack of a cartridge would mean that there is not enough weight in the head for the tonearm to drop.
It also makes it very hard to play records.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby kareldc » 13 Dec 2012 12:56

Any idea what to use as a replacement for this "Steuerpimpel"?

Should it be made out of rubber? Something flexible? Or hard plastic?

Cheers,
Karel.
kareldc
contributor

Postby Alec124c41 » 14 Dec 2012 02:32

kareldc wrote:Any idea what to use as a replacement for this "Steuerpimpel"?

Should it be made out of rubber? Something flexible? Or hard plastic?

Cheers,
Karel.

I have used bits of old ballpoint pen refills, with a drop of super glue. Others have used inner insulation from coax.
mrow has made some that may be better. I think he sells them on eBay, but a PM here should reach him.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby kareldc » 14 Dec 2012 13:14

Thanks for the tip Alec, I used some parts from a ballpoint pen.

There are some weird actions going on however. When I pull the start lever, the tonearm rises in the lock position, I hear some rubbing, then it moves to the middle of the record, it lowers and rests for about a second, then it moves back to the lock (the idle position). It does not stop at the beginning of the record and lowers itself.

It also hear the "Steuerpimpel" rubbing the lever on the inside. Is this a good sign? Or should I shorten it? It's made out of hard plastic from the inside of a ballpoint penn.

I put it on youtube to clarify:
Exterior action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-xGXJvkUNo
Interior action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv1K833hpeE

Cheers,
Karel.
kareldc
contributor

Postby Alec124c41 » 15 Dec 2012 02:16

Some changers would have the tonearm bump against the suspended record, to get the size, the record would drop, and the stylus would descend on the record. You might be trying to use a changer function for single play. Check the owner's manual. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1225.shtml

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby BOSE901 » 02 Feb 2013 17:32

Alec124c41 wrote:Some changers would have the tonearm bump against the suspended record, to get the size, the record would drop, and the stylus would descend on the record. You might be trying to use a changer function for single play. Check the owner's manual. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1225.shtml

Cheers,
Alec

May I ask,How to set inner stop point to return arm back due to my Dual 1264 is some time working some time need to push arm in more abit 1-2mm.

Have any point to adjust and to solve this problem? Thanks
BOSE901

Thailand

Postby mrow2 » 03 Feb 2013 01:32

I provide a pretty extensive (presently 17 pages as I'm writing this in Feb 2013) manual (covering most servicing issues) with 2 pimpels, at no charge for that. It covers the rubbing issue. It is also available separately and with a single pimpel for a little extra. The rubbing sound caused by the steuerpimpel on the main lever is not right, and just puts strain on everything. I would look at the pimpel length, adjustments and surface lube.
mrow2
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby BOSE901 » 04 Feb 2013 16:14

mrow2 wrote:I provide a pretty extensive (presently 17 pages as I'm writing this in Feb 2013) manual (covering most servicing issues) with 2 pimpels, at no charge for that. It covers the rubbing issue. It is also available separately and with a single pimpel for a little extra. The rubbing sound caused by the steuerpimpel on the main lever is not right, and just puts strain on everything. I would look at the pimpel length, adjustments and surface lube.

I am very interesting on it,Please send more information d_ticha@hotmail.com

Thank you very much.
BOSE901

Thailand

Postby mrow2 » 05 Feb 2013 04:30

OK, I sent a listing number to you, this should provide the info you requested. Those listings expire and get re-posted weekly; another way to get there is to type "Steuerpimpel" in the search window there and the various options should come up. Participants can also use the PM feature here which sends messages directly to other members. Thank you
mrow2
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Dual