How Does Technics Overhang Gauge Function?

turning japanese
bumba

How does Technics Overhang Gauge function?

Post by bumba » 18 Oct 2010 07:04

Hi,

Would like to know in detail how the overhang gauge supplied with Technics TTs function and helps in aligning the cartridge.

When I am pushing the cartridge to the gauge its not going through in full because of a elevation at the top of the cartridge.Do I need to push the cartridge full inside the gauge and then do the alignment?

That 52mm distance recommended - is it after the cartridge goes in fully?

Please help.

Bebé Tonto

Post by Bebé Tonto » 18 Oct 2010 16:16

You don't push the cartridge to the gauge, you push the headshell fully against the gauge.

The distance between the mounting flange of the headshell and the stylus tip should be 52mm. You can also use a caliper.

analogaudio
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by analogaudio » 19 Oct 2010 00:59

I think there is a picture in the owner manual showing how they fit together, that's what is needed, a picture IMHO. If you don't have the manual download one from the library here

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... 1200.shtml

Look for illustration 5-1, this shows the headshell, gauge and cart assembled for overhang setting.

Ted

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 19 Oct 2010 07:38

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 20 Oct 2010 10:05

Here's a picture of the gauge in use.

Alan

bumba

Post by bumba » 21 Oct 2010 11:49

Thank you so much.

Kitsune

Overhang Gauge (slightly off topic)

Post by Kitsune » 02 Jan 2011 03:47

Hi all,

I believe it was Alan who mentioend using a Caliper if you no longer have the overhang gauge. SO natrually some questions;

I have Mitsugishi LT 5V and I wish obtain he orgianl or a generic that works properly .
The arm uses a GFRP Headshell and hte otne arm is listed on VE as: straight universal type, static balance
Overall length: 223mm
Effective length: 180mm
Effective mass: 15g
and the measurements for he overhang ar listed in the owner's/OPs manual.

Ok so anyoe kwo of or where I cold obtain a overhang gauge for this ssetup?

If I have ot use a caliper i am not al lthat sure how I cold dothat if I capable of doin hat ( sight issues), but stillok to use the overhang gauge).
Lastly if anyone has one fo rhtis unit and wishs to eithe rpart with it or have somene who can MAKE/CONSTRCUT oen form eht e it, well great!
any help asistance woudl be apprecaited
thansk all

Kistsune (one of the world's worse typists)

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 02 Jan 2011 05:51

I believe the Mitsubishi LT 5V is a linear tracker. Therefore your alignment protractor would be a straight line through the center of a hole that will go over your spindle. A grid at right angles to this, anywhere, and you are done.
If the stylus will follow the straight line, without moving the platter/protractor, the length is right. If it lines up perpendicular to the line, your angle is good.

Cheers,
Alec

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » 02 Jan 2011 19:30

Hi ALec and thank you ( as well `top of the year to you).

Thanks for the info. Yes it is Straight arm. I basically got the basic principle of how and why ot set the styus at a paricular point.
I do not think I cna locate/find an overhang gauge for this turn table, so I am wondeirng how to make sure it is correct.

For info on the turntable see th elink below, also on page 8 of the owner's manualare the measurements and the overhang Gauge too.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/mit ... t-5v.shtml

SOmeone suggested using a caliper to set up the styus point, but I am not to sure hwo to do that. I am well aware of how to set up the cart & Stylus with the overhang guage, but not without it ( cal lme stupid, it is ok many poeple have alrady done over this years LOL)

The other purposeof the overhang guage for this turntable is the tonearm distance fom the base/front/table portion that the platter sits on. os I am wondering if there is anyway to obtain a gauge? if anyone knwos great!

Once again i am not the brightest bulb in the pack, but hoping that everyone can help me out so I be a lilbrighter in some smallway.

thanks and regads to one and all
Kitsune ( wh ocannot type at all)

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 03 Jan 2011 04:17

Again, the 52 mm mounting distance is for the curved arms that pivot, not for a linear tracker. Your stylus should track a straight line through the center of the spindle, 0 overhang.

Cheers,
Alec