Dual 704 Anti Resonator Repair help Needed

twice the fun
wktcknet

Dual 704 Anti Resonator Repair help Needed

Post by wktcknet » 15 Oct 2010 08:50

Hello, I am new to the Vinylengine forum but have owned a 1215 and 1228 since the 1970s.

I just purchased a 704 from a garage sale enthusiast who was having trouble getting it setup properly. It really just required the usual TLC like a good cleaning & lube as well as adjusting R20 to help lock in 45 speed.

After installing one of my spare carts/stylus I must now turn my attention to the Counterbalance Anti-Resonator. At some point a previous owner loosened the top screw that holds the resonator to the counterbalance. When I bought the 704, the resonator was just kind of laying down on the back of the counterbalance because it was no longer attached to anything.

I have now removed it from the back of the Counterbalance and a small rectangle shaped nut fell out. So now I have the Anti-Resonator, the attachment screw that goes in the back and the tiny nut.

After fooling around with this the better part of an eveing, I have no clue how to reattach the Anti-Resonator to the "suspension clip" or whatever it's called that's attached to the Counterbalance.

I would imagine at the old Dual factory the suspension clip piece was first attached to the Anti-Resonator with the screw & rectangle shaped nut, and then that assembly was next attached to the back of the Counterbalance.

I really need help on trying to put this back together. If any fellow Dual enthusiasts have ever had to re-attach the Anti-Resonator to the Counterbanlance, I sure could use your suggestion on how to do it!

Thanks in advance for any help.

3rd_Ear

Post by 3rd_Ear » 15 Oct 2010 19:16

Hi.

I didn't take that antiresonator apart myself, but there is this drawing from an old brochure:

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8502 ... nator2.jpg

Hope that helps.

safe1

Post by safe1 » 16 Oct 2010 00:01

You have to disassemble the counterweight in order to put the nut and screw you removed back into place.

The nut you talk about is the one with the red arrow below.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8502 ... nator2.jpg

1. Unscrew the screw i point out with the bottom* yellow arrow (downside the anti-resonator base)

2. remove the back aluminum bracket that* this screw holds in place (upper* yellow arrow)

3. carefully take apart the 2 pieces of the counterweight. They come together at the point where i placed the 2 blue arrows.

Notice: you need to mess a little with the downside black bracket which was hold in place together with the aluminum bracket you removed in step 2.

4. Now you must have separated the counterweight in 2 pieces. You will now be able to see the screw i point out with the green arrow.
Remove it.

5. Now you have the anti-resonator spring assembly in your hands. Now you can screw it in the anti-resonator tube using the nut and screw you removed by mistake.

6. Now take the anti-resonator tube and spring assembled in step 5. and put it back in the plastic counterweight housing.
Secure with the green arrowed screw.

7. Put the 2 pieces of the counterweight together and assemble them using the opposite steps of steps 1,2, and 3.

...now you know that you 'll never want to remove that screw again :D

I understand that my description is not the best but first i don't know the exact naming of all these parts, and, second English is not my native language.

If you do the steps above i'm sure you'll figure out how to do it.

NOTE: the anti-resonator spring is "sandwiched" between the screw you removed AND the rectangular nut.

wktcknet

Post by wktcknet » 16 Oct 2010 13:52

Thanks to Third Ear & Safe1, both for the pics and Safe1 for the directions. I was able to pull apart the counterbalance, remove the screw that holds the spring clamp (or whatever it's called) to reattach to the Anti Resonator. Great advice from Safe1 about the attach screw on the Anti Resonator.

I personally did not try to make any adjustments on the resonator but do believe the person I bought it from had unscrewed it. He had tinkered with just about everything possible on platter top and I'm glad he couldn't figure out how to remove the mechanism from the base or some real damage could have been inflicted.

When I originally pulled the Resonator out the little rectangular nut was stuck to a black felt pad at the spring clip. The pad itself was gummy and I guess it has something do do with the overall dampening that Dual Techs designed into the tonearm.

The only reason he sold it to me is that he spent hours trying to get a record to play. Fortunately for me, he was trying with a stylus that had nothing left on the tip but a stub. I was saving an AT12 / AT12S combo for many years hoping to get a TT worthy of it. Even prior to trying to repair the Anti Resonator damage I had mounted it & played a few tunes with it. The result was what I had hoped for and more.

Thanks to the Vinylengine.com documentation and this Forum I believe the 704 will give me long service and great listening pleasure!

safe1

Post by safe1 » 16 Oct 2010 17:38

well, i'm happy that my almost bad description did it for you.

I couldn't even tell a word without having 3rd Ears pic as a reference.

--------------------------

I don't think that this kind of anti-resonator has anything adjustable in it.

Perhaps the center tiny screw on the back of the anti-resonator weight is used to cancel the spring free movement thus canceling the anti-resonator effect.

I believe this comes loose (unscrewed for the most part of it) for normal operation.

And it's just another screw nobody should mess with, because if someone screws it all the way in, it'll get to the opposite side of the anti-resonator weight and drop into it.

Dismantling is again the only way to find it and to put it back.

Best regards.