Oiling Of An Sl-10 Spindle?

turning japanese
valvehead

Oiling of an SL-10 spindle?

Post by valvehead » 19 May 2010 12:53

Hi folks!

On a whim I purchased a Technics SL-10 from Ebay for £130. Not in A1 perfect visual condition, it still looks pretty good for its age, and most importantly works as it should. One of these days I will get around to stripping it down completely and getting the chassis resprayed.

Anyways, I am REALLY surprised how good this thing sounds. I'm used to a Garrard 301 and 401, but the Technics has better speed stability, and sounds more exciting shall we say, on some recordings! This is with a cheap stylus too so looking forward to some experimenting here... With a decent support, phono stage and perhaps a new turntable mat I think this deck could really be something special indeed.

Being as the deck is nearly 30 years old, surely the main spindle bearing should require oiling by now? Question is how does one take the spindle out to do this, and what oil should be used? (or did Technics use something else like grease?). I know how to get the platter off, but I don't think the service manual mentions getting the spindle out.

Thanks,

- John

Shoji

Post by Shoji » 19 May 2010 20:16

Hello. Is possible for spindle service and require experience for such service. So please to excuse me if I make not the recommendation for you to task this service :) Is also possible no problem for lubrication as most time I have seen plenty example and all is still good condition with lubrication remaining. If require to add 1 or 2 drop of oil by spindle exit from housing is good to make use of SWFO 010 from Panasonic as sell in small tube with applicator. If require further assistance for this please ask in PM.

Bebé Tonto

Post by Bebé Tonto » 19 May 2010 21:17

SL-10 is an excellent turntable. I had a SL-7 and sold it while having a temporary lack of sense.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 19 May 2010 22:18

Bebé Tonto wrote:SL-10 is an excellent turntable. I had a SL-7 and sold it while having a temporary lack of sense.
You did? :shock: :shock:

What P-type did you sell the SL-7 with? What P-type did you like the best on the SL-7?

And what tt are you tweaking now? :-k

Fred and just serviced my SL-7 return limit microswitch because it was intermittent and now stopping the drive motor..... :? :)

Trajic

Post by Trajic » 19 May 2010 23:58

I agree with Shoji. It probably doesn't need to be oiled. I bought an SL-10 in September and just plugged it in and started playing it. All I did was replace the cart. I've had no problems at all. An excellent turntable. I use it almost every day.

Brett Schultz

valvehead

Post by valvehead » 20 May 2010 13:09

Thanks for the suggestions guys - as the turntable appears to be working perfectly (touch wood!) I think I'll leave it alone then.

Now I just need to decide on a cartridge - LP Gears audio-technica with Shibata stylus, NOS Technics EMC P550 or possibly Ortofon X1 MCP MC cartridge - decisions decisions!