Is OM-20 good to pair with SME 3009

snap, crackle and pop
Post Reply
anilva
member
member
Posts: 77
Joined: 28 Nov 2002 06:42
Location: India

Is OM-20 good to pair with SME 3009

Post by anilva » 09 Nov 2009 12:24

Hi,

I have posted in few notes earlier that I have SEM 3009 Series 2 improved with a fixed headshell. I had struggled amongst various cartridges I had and finally settled with a Shure M75Xe due to it's higher compliance which the SME 3009 tonearm demands.

I have come across a new Ortofon OM20 cartridge which has a compliance rating of 25 (like the Shure V15). Should I look at this cartridge? Seems to have a nude diamond tip.

Any comments or experiences....

THanks.

Bebé Tonto

Re: Is OM-20 good to pair with SME 3009

Post by Bebé Tonto » 09 Nov 2009 15:08

anilva wrote:Hi,

I have posted in few notes earlier that I have SEM 3009 Series 2 improved with a fixed headshell. I had struggled amongst various cartridges I had and finally settled with a Shure M75Xe due to it's higher compliance which the SME 3009 tonearm demands.

I have come across a new Ortofon OM20 cartridge which has a compliance rating of 25 (like the Shure V15). Should I look at this cartridge? Seems to have a nude diamond tip.

Any comments or experiences....

THanks.
Yes it has a nude elliptical diamond.
Yes it is for low mass arms.
Yes it has a good reputation around here.

anilva
member
member
Posts: 77
Joined: 28 Nov 2002 06:42
Location: India

Post by anilva » 09 Nov 2009 19:26

Thanks. Any feedback from members regarding nature of reproduction from OM-20...muted, bright, solid bass? How good does it track?

Thanks...

Bebé Tonto

Post by Bebé Tonto » 09 Nov 2009 20:49

anilva wrote:Thanks. Any feedback from members regarding nature of reproduction from OM-20...muted, bright, solid bass? How good does it track?

Thanks...
I have not tested it first hand, but so far all i've read about the Ortofon OM line is that it's characterized by a neutral sound. Neutral sound is usually Ortofon's approach. Quite unlike (for example) Grado.

Note that even better is the Stylus 30 (which transforms the cart into an Ortofon OM30). It is a fine line (line contact) nude diamond.

And looks exactly like this:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716 ... ontact.jpg

OM10=bonded elliptical stylus
OM20=nude elliptical stylus
OM30=nude line contact stylus

Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Post by Jorlsafar » 09 Nov 2009 22:35

anilva wrote:Thanks. Any feedback from members regarding nature of reproduction from OM-20...muted, bright, solid bass? How good does it track?

Thanks...
Hi

I can vouch for flavio's info.

I own OM 10, 30 and 40. I'd say: Get the OM Super 40 while you are at it. It has a van den Huul/FG tip. It is a bargain at abt € 200. The price span between the OM30 and 40 is not significant. It is a bit difficult to align, but when you have (as I have) you will be richly rewarded.

Or you could buy a OM10 and try, and later upgrade to a OM40 stylus as the styli are interchangable. I only use my Om10 to play records that are in a sorry state. The Om20 seems to be an unnecessary intermediate.

Bebé Tonto

Post by Bebé Tonto » 10 Nov 2009 00:07

Jorlsafar wrote:
anilva wrote:Thanks. Any feedback from members regarding nature of reproduction from OM-20...muted, bright, solid bass? How good does it track?

Thanks...
Hi

I can vouch for flavio's info.

I own OM 10, 30 and 40. I'd say: Get the OM Super 40 while you are at it. It has a van den Huul/FG tip.
Just an observation: The OM40 is a FG shape, it's not the same as a VDH shape.

I have just created this big article/thread on stylus shapes, you might like it:
viewtopic.php?t=22894

anilva
member
member
Posts: 77
Joined: 28 Nov 2002 06:42
Location: India

Post by anilva » 10 Nov 2009 06:01

Jorlsafar wrote:
anilva wrote:Thanks. Any feedback from members regarding nature of reproduction from OM-20...muted, bright, solid bass? How good does it track?

Thanks...
Hi

I can vouch for flavio's info.

I own OM 10, 30 and 40. I'd say: Get the OM Super 40 while you are at it. It has a van den Huul/FG tip. It is a bargain at abt € 200. The price span between the OM30 and 40 is not significant. It is a bit difficult to align, but when you have (as I have) you will be richly rewarded.

Or you could buy a OM10 and try, and later upgrade to a OM40 stylus as the styli are interchangable. I only use my Om10 to play records that are in a sorry state. The Om20 seems to be an unnecessary intermediate.
Is it a bad thing to play a records in sorry state on a good cartridge? I thought it is the otherway, i.e. not to play records with a bad cartridge, as the record can damaged. Does a cartridge get damaged as well. I am not talking of extremely bad records with pitting etc., but average ones.

Right now I am playing all my record collection (new and old) with well invested cartridges. Any risk?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Post by Jorlsafar » 10 Nov 2009 10:43

Bebé Tonto wrote: Just an observation: The OM40 is a FG shape, it's not the same as a VDH shape.
I have just created this big article/thread on stylus shapes, you might like it:
viewtopic.php?t=22894
:oops: I have read that after the patent for the vdH expired, then F Gyger manufactured and marketed the same stylus under his own name. I stand corrected and your thread about different styi is the best account on the subject I have ever read. :D It should be a sticky!

Jorlsafar
senior member
senior member
Posts: 653
Joined: 23 May 2008 00:51
Location: Sweden

Post by Jorlsafar » 10 Nov 2009 10:49

anilva wrote: Is it a bad thing to play a records in sorry state on a good cartridge? I thought it is the otherway, i.e. not to play records with a bad cartridge, as the record can damaged. Does a cartridge get damaged as well. I am not talking of extremely bad records with pitting etc., but average ones.

Right now I am playing all my record collection (new and old) with well invested cartridges. Any risk?

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Mucky and scratched records cause more wear on the stylus. Also, a vdH tip (as any stylus that goes deep into the grooves and has a greater contact with the "walls" of the same), will pick up more clics and pops, as well as surface noise.

An "inferior" needle might hence even sound better when playing records in a sorry state. In the OM system you could change between styli in a second, without having to align, set VTF, VTA etc. They just slip right on.

BTW I envy your TT.

/J

anilva
member
member
Posts: 77
Joined: 28 Nov 2002 06:42
Location: India

Post by anilva » 10 Nov 2009 11:46

Jorlsafar wrote:
anilva wrote: Is it a bad thing to play a records in sorry state on a good cartridge? I thought it is the otherway, i.e. not to play records with a bad cartridge, as the record can damaged. Does a cartridge get damaged as well. I am not talking of extremely bad records with pitting etc., but average ones.

Right now I am playing all my record collection (new and old) with well invested cartridges. Any risk?

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Mucky and scratched records cause more wear on the stylus. Also, a vdH tip (as any stylus that goes deep into the grooves and has a greater contact with the "walls" of the same), will pick up more clics and pops, as well as surface noise.

An "inferior" needle might hence even sound better when playing records in a sorry state. In the OM system you could change between styli in a second, without having to align, set VTF, VTA etc. They just slip right on.

BTW I envy your TT.

/J
Thanks for your comments on my TT. Yeah! I like it too...

Cheers.

2blue
junior member
junior member
Posts: 23
Joined: 05 Nov 2009 19:33
Location: Norway

Post by 2blue » 10 Nov 2009 14:47

I get rather confused about what I read on different stylus types and shapes. Two years a go I read that some styluses (more expensive ones) pick up signals from a part of the groove that cheaper or older type styluses do not reach. That was the explanation for how a good stylus can make a worn record sound almost like new.

In my ignorance I have used OM30 on all my records and I have been very happy with it, compared to other cartridges. I have just replaced my OM30 stylus with a new one. It has a very clean sound.

Post Reply