the home of the turntable

How to lubricate noisy 1219 motor?

twice the fun

How to lubricate noisy 1219 motor?

Postby Ken Arroyo » 05 Feb 2009 03:56

I have a 1219 which I enjoy very much, but the motor has become noisy to the point where it is audible during quiet passages in music. Last night it actually make a little screeching noise.
I have the service manual, which tells me I must lubricate the motor, but doesn't tell me how to open the motor housing to do it. I need help! I like this old table!
Thanks!
Ken
Ken Arroyo

Postby Damfino » 25 Feb 2010 06:43

I have a Dual 1229 which uses the same motor, and mine also makes a screeching sound.

I have removed the motor from the chassis but cannot find a way to lubricate the motor bearing. I have oiled the collar below the idler post, hoping it would trickle down to the motor interior, but it's still making the same noise.

Pressing down on the idler pulley/shaft will stop the noise for a very short time, but it returns after a about 30 seconds.

Does this motor need to be disassembled to gain access to the bearings for oiling? I could not find a way to do that.

Thanks,
Damfino
Damfino

Postby aardvarkash10 » 25 Feb 2010 08:34

1 - remove the motor
2 - dismantle the motor
3 - clean the bearings out with a cotton bud and clean lightweight (SAE 5) oil
4 - relube as in the service manual
5 - reassemble motor
6 - refit motor

Its about a half-hour job even if you are left handed like me.

NB - there are two bearings - one at each end of the motor.

Do it soon. If its squealing, its damaging the bearing and/or the shaft
aardvarkash10
long player
long player

New Zealand

Postby 3rd_Ear » 25 Feb 2010 21:50

There is a video on Youtube, which shows how to do it:

Opening and closing a DUAL continuous pole turntable motor

Regards,
Dirk
3rd_Ear
contributor

Postby Damfino » 26 Feb 2010 02:49

I greatly appreciate the responses to my question.

The problem was in dismantling the motor. I had tried opening the motor before using a wide-bladed screwdriver in the gap between the two ends, to force the two black ends apart, but fearing damage, I stopped using that method.

I viewed the video on You-tube, and it was perfect! I'll try that immediately.

The motor has been screeching on and off for the past few years, but lately has become intolerable. There may be permanent damage to the bearing. I'll know when I get the motor disassembled.

I plan to transfer all my old LPs and 45's that are not available on iTunes or Amazon using this turntable (I bought it new many years ago), but the noise was being conducted into the recording as a low rumble.

Again, many thanks to all!

-Damfino
Damfino

Re: How to lubricate noisy 1219 motor?

Postby Dog1 » 05 Feb 2012 05:57

The video not work,do you have other video.
Thankyou very much?
Dog1

Hong Kong

Postby mrow2 » 05 Feb 2012 06:13

Never run the motor when it's making so much noise. Set the unit aside until you can figure out how to service it. The two halves do need to come apart, as carefully as you can accomplish that. The spindle needs to come off first. Then, the bearings are cleaned and the motor is reassembled. Alignment marks should be made on the sides to bring the two halves together in their same respective positions, then the spindle is reinstalled. The oil in those motors wasn't supposed to last 40 years.

Might be able to see the alignment lines, 3 sets of these help to get it back together just right.
mrow2
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby mrow2 » 13 Feb 2012 04:13

In re-reading my own post I realized I forgot to mention you should add in the new oil after cleaning the bearings with the earbud Q-tip. I have used a little isopropyl on that to get the residue out. What oil to put in it is the question, camps seem split between 10-30 motor oil full synthetic, or a lighter turbine oil. I really like how the turbine oil goes in to the bearings, but the full syn motor oil is closer to what Dual originally used in these (think they used a single 40w synthetic oil, and I doubt if it was a motor oil back then. I have also used 5w20 full syn motor oil with success. These sintered bearings will soak up a fair amount of the oil, and it takes a while to seep in. Keep adding more til they won't take any more. I am led to believe the famous Dual repair shop uses a very thin electric motor oil, could be something like the turbine oil I've identified but I don't know for sure. They don't like to say.
mrow2
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Return to Dual