your advice for nottingham analogue hyperspace

snap, crackle and pop
kostas k

your advice for nottingham analogue hyperspace

Post by kostas k » 08 Jan 2009 20:07

Hello all,

I will meet pretty soon (tomorrow evening most probably) a guy that sells his Nottingham Analogue hyperspace turntable (http://www.aslgroup.com/nottingham/hyperspace.htm) for 1700 EUR (1550 GBP or 2350 USD).
As he said, the turntable is only 2 years old (but he does not have the invoice receipt) and in perfect condition. If this is true, you thing that this is a good purchase?

What is your opinion about the Nottingham Analogue turntables?
I can not find any reviews for Hyperspace.

In fact I can not find even the manufacturer’s site!! :shock:
What is going on? The company still function normally or is closed?

Any kind of information is welcome.

Thank you

Kostas

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 08 Jan 2009 22:09

Hi,
Tom Fletcher, the owner of NA apparently doesn't 'do' the internet so it's telephone or snail mail only I'm afraid :(

I gather he's open to answer questions personally if you give him a ring?

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/not ... ogue.shtml

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Nottin ... visit.html

Regards,
JaS

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 08 Jan 2009 23:06

Hi,

Actually, I've heard that Tom Fletcher sold (or, in fact, gave away!) Nottingham Analogue to an employee some time ago. He was very ill, and didn't want the firm to disappear if he died, leaving his staff unemployed. He's now much better, and has started a new company. There is some detail in this thread on another forum:
http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthre ... 319&page=1

Meanwhile, Nottingham Analogue are very much still in business, but, as before, they have no website. The Hyperspace has a great reputation as the first of their "super" decks, though the new Ace Spacedeck is said to be much closer to its performance than the old model. I may be auditioning one of these soon with a view to making a purchase.

The price quoted sounds pretty good, as a new Hyperspace would be about 2200 GBP. Nottingham apparently offer good after-sales backup for their decks, though I haven't had to call on it with my current Horizon. The firm have, though, come across second-hand decks that were not all they claimed to be, so perhaps you should find out as much as you can about the Hyperspace via some of the websites given above before committing yourself. You will then be in a better position to assess the condition of the deck on offer. For example, I did see a Hyperspace for sale on UK E-bay a few months ago that was plainly an earlier specification model, and not quite like current production. To be fair, I think the seller made this clear.

HTH,

Mark

Nper70

Post by Nper70 » 09 Jan 2009 09:01

Yeia sou Kostas,

Is this price inclusive of tonearm? If yes, which one?

Nick

kostas k

Post by kostas k » 09 Jan 2009 09:34

Nper70 wrote:Is this price inclusive of tonearm? If yes, which one? Nick
hello Nick

yes, this price inclusive of tonearm Ace-Space Arm.

I would like to thank all off you for your reply

Nper70

Post by Nper70 » 09 Jan 2009 10:36

Kostas,

Do you have the option to compare the Hyperspace with your RPM4, using the rest of your equipment? It would be nice if you could do that and see for yourself if shelling out 1700E is worth the trouble.

Nick

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 09 Jan 2009 11:42

Hi Kostas, I had the good fortune to live with a Nottingham Anna Log for three months and it was wonderful. If I could afford it I would have kept it.

Does it come with the 9 or 12 inch arm and the Wave Mechanic power supply?

My impression of the Anna was that it was very quiet, supremely stable and a joy to listen to. It was pretty neutral in its sound unlike the LP12/Lingo/Ekos I'm currently borrowing which sounds dark and veiled in comparison.

I'd imagine the Hyperspace would sound 100% better than the RPM4.

JT

kostas k

Post by kostas k » 11 Jan 2009 20:53

Nper70 wrote:Kostas,

Do you have the option to compare the Hyperspace with your RPM4, using the rest of your equipment? It would be nice if you could do that and see for yourself if shelling out 1700E is worth the trouble.

Nick
It would be nice, but I don't have that option.

The replacement of RPM4, it 's one of the steps, that I am planning to follow in order to upgrade my Hi-Fi system. Therefore I don't mind (a lot) if the 1700EUR for Hyperspace is worth the trouble for the current status of my Hi-Fi.

I just want to buy a dependable-quite-musical turntable, that will keep me company at least for the next 10-15 years (I have the RPM4 since 1999) and has the ability to manage very good cartidges with deferent charactericts and temperament.

kostas k

Post by kostas k » 11 Jan 2009 21:54

jon tiltman wrote: Does it come with the 9 or 12 inch arm and the Wave Mechanic power supply? JT
I thing that it comes with the 9 inch arm but without the external power supply.
I will call him, one of the next days in order to set the date of my visit at his place, and I will ask him for the arm and the external power supply.

By the way, what is the deference between the 9 and 12 inch arm?

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 12 Jan 2009 09:48

The 12" arm is generally considered better because it has less tracking error - the radius is larger.

Still, Nottingham only use unipivots which to my mind is the most musical of arm - the one I used was possibly the least fiddly to set up and extremely stable in use.

I think if you go and listen to it you'll be seduced. There are also plenty of upgrades available - the offboard power supply is supposed to make a huge improvement but the one I used came with it so I didn't hear it without.

JT