Garrard 401 Novice

the jewel in the crown
Craig Schofield

Garrard 401 Novice

Post by Craig Schofield » 08 Apr 2008 15:23

I have just been clearing out grandma's house and found a Garrard 401, in a bit of a sorry state. I thought it looked impressive even in its current state, and after a quick internet search, it looks like I have a pretty good deck on my hands. This deck probably hasn't been used for over 20 years. I have downloaded the manual, and plan to perform a strip, inspection and relube. Can anyone advise on oil type to use? It will definitely need a new chassis, as the current one would have been a bit of a 'dog's dinner' even when new, and the years haven't been kind to it! Any advice on the construction of a new one would be greatly appreciated. The deck itself looks in good order apart from a couple of dents in the aluminium disc in the centre of the mat. I have no idea what type of tonearm assembly is on it, (and therefore I don't know if it is any good) and I can't seem to put photo's on this forum, so if anyone is willing to let me send them a couple of photo's by email, to try to identify it then I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance, Craig

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 08 Apr 2008 17:33

Hi Craig,

There is lots of information about making Garrard plinths on this forum if you search for them.

Does the arm have no information on it at all? What cartridge does it have?

If you're having trouble uploading pics they're probably too large - if you can reduce them to no more than 800x800 they should work fine.

JT

Craig Schofield

Post by Craig Schofield » 08 Apr 2008 22:12

No, there are no markings on the tonearm assembly at all. The mounting plate is basically rectangular, (flat sides, but slightly rounded front and back), the width is 63mm, and length (at longest point) is 92mm. There is a sliding plate on top of the mounting plate, for adjustment front and back, by 10mm, (marked from 5 to 0 to 5). The movement is affected by moving a bar at the rear, from left to right, and there is a black plastic clamping nut to fix this, which is labelled Lock <-> Open. There is a ring for adjusting the height, which is labelled Level Control. This ring is moveable by 90 degrees to adjust the height by 10mm. There is an Anti Skating adjustment knob, labelled from 1 to 3, which doesn't appear to do anything! The arm itself is what I think is described as S shaped, and a matt black Rotel cartridge is fitted which has a small skicker with GGD on it underneath. Any advice as to how good this cartridge is would also be appreciated.
I've read the FAQs now, and think I know how to attach the photos, so fingers crossed, they should be below......

[/img]

delcam1n0
long player
long player

401 Arm Identification

Post by delcam1n0 » 09 Apr 2008 11:00

As eMailed to Craig y'day

: :arrow: Acos Lustre GST1

Post by Guest » 09 Apr 2008 12:09

Bravo!! Great find!

All she needs is a good cleanin' boy... then your on your way... to happyness!

Dew

Craig Schofield

Post by Craig Schofield » 09 Apr 2008 17:00

Thanks Jos for all the info and advice. I'd better get started!