Ortofon OM 5E ? Keep or Dump ?

the thin end of the wedge
JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Ortofon OM 5E ??? Keep or Dump ??

Post by JollyJeweller » 22 Mar 2008 10:59

Chaps.
I've just bought a used Pro ject Debut II Phono SB to play with, but I think the Ortofon OM5E that it comes with could be improved on.
Any suggestions for decent MM that will work in the bundled arm ?
Ta.
Happy Easter !

gregor

om5e

Post by gregor » 22 Mar 2008 11:05

i'm sure you know but how about an upgraded stylus, om 10, 20 and so on. my post on the 2m blue may be of interest to you or you could try the red but my favourite budget cart is the at 95e, brilliant. all the best, gregor.

Post by Guest » 23 Mar 2008 17:13

Hi,

I will not argue about the AT95E(or AT110E) but IMO the AT120E/T is ideal.

Post by Guest » 23 Mar 2008 21:20

Nah... chuck it!! I bought one "to play with" but played only one record and sold it to a friend... its body is too light.

Why not try an Ortofon 320U? This is a great little MM cartridge from what I have heard so far (actually listened).

GD

Post by Guest » 23 Mar 2008 21:23

Or the Ortofon 530 mkII for that matter...

shonver

Post by shonver » 27 Mar 2008 07:53

Gliding Dutchman wrote:Nah... chuck it!! I bought one "to play with" but played only one record and sold it to a friend... its body is too light.

Why not try an Ortofon 320U? This is a great little MM cartridge from what I have heard so far (actually listened).

GD
Actually, GD. I'm enjoying the OM5E over the 320U. I'm using it with an Audio Technica AT1100 arm on a Technics SL1200. The OM5E has a warmer, fuller sound than the 320U, which can sound a bit sterile (I did not have the patience to break it in). I may be tempted to upgrade the stylus later.

Edit: As an afterthought, I'd like to add that if your record collection is not pristine, cartridges with more advanced stylus profiles can be too revealing. This is where "better is not always best". IOW, a warmer, less detailed cart might be a wiser choice.

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 27 Mar 2008 10:53

I've bought the Debut 2, as a TT to use to play my new eBay purchases to assess them prior to using on the Avid/Koetsu combo.
I bought a Dire Straits last month that was so bad I swear it was going to rip the stylus off :-(
I may keep the ortofon after all or upgrade the stylus.
Cheers.

Post by Guest » 27 Mar 2008 11:12

shonver wrote: Actually, GD. I'm enjoying the OM5E over the 320U. I'm using it with an Audio Technica AT1100 arm on a Technics SL1200. The OM5E has a warmer, fuller sound than the 320U, which can sound a bit sterile (I did not have the patience to break it in). I may be tempted to upgrade the stylus later.

Edit: As an afterthought, I'd like to add that if your record collection is not pristine, cartridges with more advanced stylus profiles can be too revealing. This is where "better is not always best". IOW, a warmer, less detailed cart might be a wiser choice.
Maybe my problem with the OM5E is the rather heavy SME3012 arm... :oops:

I think the AT1100 will be a good match. Very light and nimble.

GD

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 27 Mar 2008 17:11

hallo,

i too know the Ortofon OM5e,
let it first be said that i am not an Ortofon fan, i find them too analytical and emotionless....much prefer my Koetsu :lol:

IMO, it is better than nothing, but just that.
the treble is horrid and thin, other than that, it tends to be all bass.
if they let the mids be and didn't try to get so much treble out of the cheap diamond it mignt have been alright.

the cartridge is a dandy for testing your new used vinyl aquisitions :wink:

regards,
bastlnut

Paladin

Post by Paladin » 30 Mar 2008 20:14

It is a terrible cartridge, simply horrible. Before you get used to it, ditch it! You need an AT cartridge at the very least.

I have an insignificant turntable and a new dreadful spare stylus ready to buddy up with it when you decide to let it go.