Re: Cartridge/Tonearm Theory Question

Post by Solist » 14 Jun 2019 19:30

WHAMMO_63 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 19:01
Solist wrote:
13 Jun 2019 17:52
And then you have the 45 degree gimbal tonearms:

Reed-1X-tonearm2.jpg

I also have my doubts about these. A weird compromise. I think its one of those innovations for the sake of innovation.
But the cool factor is off the charts with that tonearm :wow:
To be honest there might be something to it. I dont deal with mechanical engineering in my everyday life, and I dont want to be viewed as the guy who trashes other ideas.

I just think that if you play a normal non warped lp, the position of the traditional gimbal bearing is preferred. I have no idea why would you want to offset the vertical gimbal bearings (which deal with the horizontal movement of the tonearm) to an angle. That way you compromise the vertical bearings for the sake of the horizontal ones. They dont show much details of their design either. Who knows, maybe I am wrong.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 14 Jun 2019 22:12

Well as the coils on most cartridges are +/-45 and the modulations are as well you can see the argument. Only Decca have sum and difference coils and one could argue that is superior, but I've not tried analysing it.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 14 Jun 2019 22:23

Makes sense, did not thought about that.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 14 Jun 2019 23:57

Solist wrote:
13 Jun 2019 17:52
And then you have the 45 degree gimbal tonearms:

Reed-1X-tonearm2.jpg

I also have my doubts about these. A weird compromise. I think its one of those innovations for the sake of innovation.
Hello,

That has to be one of the coolest tonearms I've seen. There are some innovative arms that are ugly, but this is gorgeous as well as mechanically different. Maybe it is because there is wood in the arm and I love wood! It is not just the 45° gimbals though, there is a lot of thought to the counterweight and other elements. It looks well conceived, whether that translates to a good arm is purely a matter of conjecture, unless someone actually owns this arm and can add some perspective.

Mike.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 15 Jun 2019 00:37

I am glad you like it! It certainly looks well though, I am not gonna dispute that. Its just that 45° gimbals threw me off. There are certainly lot of things in audio and vinyl in particular, that either seem counterintuitive or complete nonsense at first glance.