Dual 1218 won't shut off

twice the fun
pdqwik

Dual 1218 won't shut off

Post by pdqwik » 05 Feb 2019 17:49

Loving this site by the way.
I've skimmed some tutorials and have reached the point where I know I just have to dive in. Some history, I bought this turntable as my first major stereo purchase probably with my first paycheck back in 73. Always loved it until I didn't. When it started malfunctioning I took it for service which made it a little better but problems started popping up again. So I put it aside. Now I want to get back at it again. I've made my own turntable bench and have been tweeking some things just to see if it is worth putting time into. Everything seems to be working again with a little drop of marvel oil here and there. The last thing really has me stumped. Can't tell if it's a worn spring or some lubrication point I'm missing but it will go through the whole cycle and not shut off. Give the lever a little shove from underneath and it completes the cycle. I tried changing the position of the spring for more tension and no go. If I can figure this little part out I want to purchase the proper lub and put my baby back in service. I have a brother in law with a dual that had the same issue and he installed a toggle switch in the plinth. Any advice would be appreciated. Not the steuerpimpel that is intact.

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Dual 1218 won't shut off

Post by mrow2 » 05 Feb 2019 18:53

Hi It's a very common issue. Really, try to avoid the tweaking in favor of a proper servicing instead. There are several good references here, and I have one along with a steuerpimpel if you are interested. The issue is old, dried grease in places where it gums up … nearly everything. The main pivot is a critical one, (SM) 251 to 254 to 257 and in-between but it affects other movements too. There's a chance that simply resolving this might restore shutoff again. The tech writer/engineers probably were not thinking about the effects of "dried" grease (Alvania and other lubes) when they wrote this, what, 40-something years ago. I am mystified about the B-I-L toggle-switch in the plinth. Your unit's motor also needs service, and it's probably fairly dry now. I hope Klaus comes in with more specific info. -- D
Last edited by mrow2 on 05 Feb 2019 19:00, edited 2 times in total.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 05 Feb 2019 18:58

Hi,
Does the motor stop when the cam (143 in service manual) completes it run after your nudge?
There are two item to check for.
If motor shuts off, the pivot point between shaft 257 and all the levers it holds, but specifically 252 is stuck because of dried lube. This is a common issue with the old changers.
If the motor never shuts off as per above, the capacitor 169 in the power box is shorted and bridges the switch and keeps the motor on.
Do not attempt to change or alter any spring in the changer; it is not a spring that is at fault, rather dry and stuck lubes which prevent the springs from doing their job. It is advisable to do a complete clean up because all the lube points get stuck after the years. Adding different lubes without cleaning off the old stuff, simply exacerbates the problem in short order.
I have a 1218 pictorial restoration on my website which can be reached via the contact link to the left. Look under service tips for the pictures.
Regards,
k

pdqwik

Post by pdqwik » 05 Feb 2019 21:38

Yes. The contacts open and the motor and platter stop. I don't see a link for the video. Thanks for the fast responses.

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 05 Feb 2019 21:46

Hi,
Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Dual%20Sha ... estoration
It seems I forgot that its not a 1218 but a 1216 on my webpage, however the vast majority of the mechanism is identical between the two. The 1218 has primarily a different tonearm.
Cheers,
k

pdqwik

Post by pdqwik » 06 Feb 2019 02:02

Does anyone know a fix for the s/m vta knob shaft. I read that a supplier in Germany had them in steel but I can't find anything about it?

dualcan
long player
long player
Canada

Post by dualcan » 06 Feb 2019 03:30

Hi,
The maker of the shaft for the TK15 and TK25 was Oliver Aichholz in Germany:
https://schall-und-crema.webnode.com/dual-ersatzteile/
TK 15 006.JPG
(42.26 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Unfortunately he is no longer making these items as they were difficult to make.
Regards,
k

pdqwik

Post by pdqwik » 21 May 2019 12:34

I would like to thank mrow2 and dualcan for your responses. The 1218 is up and running again. I've put 3 duals back in service since I started this thread. A cs 1268, a 1219 and my beloved 1218. They did not get proper overhauls because I strongly resisted getting over my head. I will be cracking the motors on the 1218 and 1219.
A little tip I'd like to pass on is on the main lever responsible for tonearm lifting and placement I used an engraving tool to rough up the smooth spot created by the constant lifting. My thinking was I didn't want to remove anything by sanding anything off. This worked well on the 1219 that wouldn't move at all after replacing the steuerpimpel. I didn't replace the steuerpimpel on the 1218 because it was still cycling properly. It just wouldn't turn off but all is good for now.
Regards,
Pat