Show us your unique turntable or record player!

snap, crackle and pop
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: Show us your unique turntable or record player!

Post by Japi Roelofs » 18 Dec 2018 21:32

Here's a turntable from my personal collection. It doesn't look like anything special, it's a Japanese run of the mill belt drive auto-return deck from the seventies.
Roelofs RP-121.jpg
(149.8 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
What makes it special, very rare and (at least for me) very desirable is the company brand.
Roelofs RP-121 2.jpg
(115.84 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Yes, it's my last name... The Roelofs name is not that unusual here in the Netherlands, and although I might be related to the company, I would probably have to go very far up the family tree to find a connection.

The brand is kind of mysterious, but from what I found it was an electronics store from the Rotterdam area that had their own line of audio equipment, back in the seventies. Most of it was sourced from Japan and rebadged, I guess you can compare it to an extremely tiny version of Radio Shack. The product line consisted mainly of headphones and cheap mixing desks, although they did sell a couple of amps and tuners. Over the years I collected some of their stuff, and I have quite a pile of not-very-good-audio-gear in the attic, just because of the name. I also found a cassette deck, and two pairs of speakers. As a matter of fact, this afternoon I went to the thriftstore in my neighborhood and I found another, bigger pair of Roelofs speakers. Unfortunately they were in poor shape, and on one of them the logo faceplate was missing, so I passed on them (with a little encouragement from my girlfriend :D).

The turntable is extremely rare, I have only seen one other example, ever. I don't use it so it just sits here taking up space, I don't even think it's that pretty, and the logo looks like someone made it at home with rub-on letters — but you know, how could I ever sell this thing?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Dec 2018 00:19

You know, Japi...I completely understand the sentimental value attached to that one...It's just so perfect that you would own it...I'd never sell it either if I were you...You might want to play around with it a little though, sometime, just to make sure all the functions are operating correctly on it...I personally think it's a very cool-looking model, but I go for those wooden plinths, you know... :roll: One man's trash is another man's treasure, so they say... 8-[

Plus, it sports a snazzy-looking Concorde on it, so it can't be all THAT bad! :wink:

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 19 Dec 2018 04:51

vinyl master wrote:
19 Dec 2018 00:19
You know, Japi...I completely understand the sentimental value attached to that one...It's just so perfect that you would own it...I'd never sell it either if I were you...You might want to play around with it a little though, sometime, just to make sure all the functions are operating correctly on it...I personally think it's a very cool-looking model, but I go for those wooden plinths, you know... :roll: One man's trash is another man's treasure, so they say... 8-[

Plus, it sports a snazzy-looking Concorde on it, so it can't be all THAT bad! :wink:
Yesterday, I sold a lovely old 1962 Zenith changer to someone from my C/L ad.
Originally from a console, I mounted it on a custom made wood base - during the "demonstration", the customer loved it.
Despite it's looks, it's got a tonearm with precision knife-edge vertical pivots, belt/flywheel drive, built-in 45RPM stacking spindle, and runs as quiet and smooth as a mid-line Dual.
With a few minor tweaks, and my own designed "ceramic-to-RIAA" built in adaptation, it plays through an amp's mag phono inputs with a full-bodied impressive accuracy.

I'm sure the new owner will enjoy it for a long time without issues.
ZenithTTnew.JPG
(64.23999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Dec 2018 05:55

Nice, Spinner...They are marvels of mid-century design, aren't they? =D> My radio repairman Chris was right about those Zenith models...At least the consoles he'd sold in the past at his "audio estate sales" went very quickly! :D

What cartridge were you using on that Zenith anyway, if you don't mind me asking? :-k

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 19 Dec 2018 06:11

vinyl master wrote:
19 Dec 2018 05:55
Nice, Spinner...They are marvels of mid-century design, aren't they? =D> My radio repairman Chris was right about those Zenith models...At least the consoles he'd sold in the past at his "audio estate sales" went very quickly! :D

What cartridge were you using on that Zenith anyway, if you don't mind me asking? :-k
The original Zenith-made "floating" cartridge - Gary Stork still sells them.
http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ategories=

It tracks beautifully at 3 grams, has a "flip" LP/78 stylus, puts out around 250 millivolts.
But with the right network, it can be used into a magnetic RIAA input.
And it sounds like a magnetic too!
I wanted to keep the functionality of the Zenith design with the 78 option, and the tonearm was designed for that cartridge.
Plus, hidden in the rest post, a tiny soft brush rises up when the arm comes over to wipe the needle, then retracts into the rest post again after the change cycle.
It's so neat!
Seriously, when the needle hits the groove, all you hear is the background of the record noise, no hum, no rumble, then MUSIC!

ethorn66
United States of America

Post by ethorn66 » 19 Dec 2018 13:55

Japi Roelofs wrote:
18 Dec 2018 21:32
Here's a turntable from my personal collection. It doesn't look like anything special, it's a Japanese run of the mill belt drive auto-return deck from the seventies.

Hey Japi, I think that's a good looking table!
Looks like a mix between a Marantz 6110 and a Pioneer PL-12D! I say get her up and running!🎶

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 19 Dec 2018 14:09

I had this few years ago, but had to sell it sadly due to lack of space
http://www.rw6ase.narod.ru/00/komb/elfa6.html
17431711_6.jpg
(25.93 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
This picture is not mine but of one on sale currently for 500EUR in Estonia.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 19 Dec 2018 17:03

and I thought roelofs was a high frequency drop off mispelling. #-o :)
Keep these coming. They are wonderful.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Dec 2018 22:37

OK, we'll keep 'em coming! I saw this Sunny Vox Stereo Music Center on my local Craigslist...Interesting to say the least! :D

Crazy, eh? :crazy:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Dec 2018 23:52

And yet again...Shopgoodwill.com does not disappoint...Check out these oddities! :D

First up is a Pioneer PL-1000a tangential tracking table...Unusual design, too...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Dec 2018 23:54

Then, we have this odd little player from Webcor...a CH480 mini changer...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Dec 2018 23:55

Next up are a couple of older models...A Columbia Grafonola with a built-in record pouch!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Dec 2018 23:56

This one looks like a kiddie player...Made by Geib Inc., it is an unusual teardrop shape...The Model 94!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Dec 2018 23:57

Next up is something from the 80's, a cool Akai AP-060 turntable...

Quite unusual switches, don't you think? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Dec 2018 23:59

I saw this one while trolling someone's Craigslist a while back, but I have no clue as to the model...Any takers? :-k