Should I just quit while I'm ahead???

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Should I just quit while I'm ahead???

Post by vinyl master » 07 Oct 2018 05:13

OK, guys...This has been a momentous week for the vintage audio nut in me! #-o I happened to mention recently that I purchased my 33 1/3rd table, a fabulous Dual 1219 sent to me by none other than our resident Technics guru, BMRR! It will be a special gift for my vinyl mentor, who has been looking for a turntable with an automatic function, due to diabetes making his hands too shaky to hold a tonearm...I wrote much more about it here...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=107326

It's been a gift a long time in the making...I also plan to send him a great receiver and some awesome speakers to go with it...Well, I think the "receiver and speakers" part is set now! :D

The plan is to still give him this Sherwood, picked up at a local thrift store...

But NOW, I have TWO MORE pieces for my "audio puzzle"! A local seller named Jim had a receiver for sale and I had a chance to look at it today...This has got to be the "impulse buy" of impulse buys, but I loved the look of it!

And I loved the price! 8)

So, for $50 (that's right, folks!), THIS one followed me home again, too!

An SX-1500TD! :D

And what are the chances of the "TD" being my initials?! :shock: =D>

Here's the back...

And along with a copy of the manual, he even threw in a bag of assorted parts...

I call it "blue light syndrome" and yes, I suffer from it! #-o

In any case, while I was there, I had a chance to look at some other stuff he had...So I went down to his basement lair, where he had some AR speakers on the shelves, but those were not what he wanted me to see...He had these other speakers set up and demoed with another Pioneer receiver and I loved the sound that was coming out! Reminded me of my Dynacos, although I'm not giving those up any time soon! He wanted $100 for them, but was willing to go down to $80 for me, so for an extra $80, I think I may have found the missing piece of the puzzle for my friend...The perfect set of vintage speakers...What do you think of THESE bad boys???

A pair of Advent/1's! In fact, I like them so much that if my mentor DOESN'T dig them, I'll pay for him to send them back to me! :mrgreen:

Here's another look at the back...

And with the grille removed...

The cabinets look great and the grilles seem OK, but they do have a few tears in spots...

Any thoughts on repairing those or should I just get new grilles for the Advents? :-k

They both have their original nameplates, too!

It also turns out that our seller Jim's FIRST turntable was one he bought himself, a Dual 1219 and he also owned some Dynaco A25's! =D>

What are the chances of THAT kowinky-dink??? :-k

Anyway, he is also an longtime audio buff who has gotten older and has a hard time playing around with that stuff now, so he was happy to see it go to a good home! He said that the Advents should play fine with the Sherwood, but what are your thoughts on that??? On this thread, bhs60 asked the same question and it seems like a good combo...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... es.140199/

40 watts per channel on the Sherwood, and my new Pioneer gets 55 watts per channel...

I found this interesting, too...

http://hudsonvalleyhifi.com/archives/1861

Some may even say that when restored right, it might be Pioneer's best-sounding receiver...Jim did say that there was a slight issue with the output transformers, which explains the $50 purchase price...I will probably have my local audio guys refurb it, though, eventually...If it IS that great, I want the pros to get into it like they did with my Sansui and do a complete overhaul...Maybe it will take my SX-450 out of the lineup for my Pioneer system (PL-12D II, Boston Acoustics speakers)...By the way, how would you compare the two (SX-450 and SX-1500TD), other than the wattage differences? :-k

All I know is that "cheap vintage" found another home today and I'm that much closer in getting everything ready for my vinyl mentor...Of course, I have some time before the holidays, so there's no need to rush just yet...

I will keep you guys posted in time, though... :wink:

I think I did good...But, as usual, if you have any thoughts, comments or suggestions, send 'em my way! =D>
Last edited by vinyl master on 07 Oct 2018 05:55, edited 5 times in total.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Re: Should I just quit while I'm ahead???

Post by Ghaasl » 07 Oct 2018 05:27

VM, your digging prowess never ceases to amaze. Great buy!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Oct 2018 07:21

Thanks, my friend! By the way, someone else really loves his Pioneer, too!! :wink:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Oct 2018 10:03

Those look like a couple of excellent finds VM! 8)

I think either the Sherwood or the Pioneer SX-1500TD would be fine with the Advents and Dual as a thank you for your friend. You will have to find him a pair of speaker terminals if those were not in the parts bag you got.

When comparing it to the SX-450, the 450 was the starter in the lineup while the SX-1500TD was the top of its lineup. Also the tone would be a bit different on the earlier 1500.

I have a Pioneer SX-939 which was a couple of years newer and has been restored, that shares similar beautiful styling and sounds beautiful. If you get the 1500 restored it will be a real keeper much like your Sansui 5000A.

I'm pretty sure member Almabes has the same model which he posted some photos of somewhere on the site. I'll see if I can find them.
Klaus posted an ad for it here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=84609&hilit=bit+of ... &start=165

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Oct 2018 13:59

You mean this ad, Tink? :-k

I like how they use "his" and "her" receivers as a couple's compromise...Either one of those Pioneers would be NO compromise sonically, though...Still, the idea of two systems in the house could be just the thing to alleviate any "musical tensions" between husband and wife...What a way to sell more receivers, Pioneer!! =D>

$599.95 for that TD when brand new, too! :shock: I wonder how that relates to "today's dollars"? :-k

Anyway, I think the full-on refurb is what this TD needs...I really like it and it should sound excellent, once fettled properly! :D

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 07 Oct 2018 14:16

vinyl master wrote:You mean this ad, Tink? :-k

I like how they use "his" and "her" receivers as a couple's compromise...Either one of those Pioneers would be NO compromise sonically, though...Still, the idea of two systems in the house could be just the thing to alleviate any "musical tensions" between husband and wife...What a way to sell more receivers, Pioneer!! =D>

$599.95 for that TD when brand new, too! :shock: I wonder how that relates to "today's dollars"? :-k

Anyway, I think the full-on refurb is what this TD needs...I really like it and it should sound excellent, once fettled properly! :D
$3898.84 according to the inflation calculator. Ah, to have a time machine disguised as a car hauler so I could spend my money on brand new cars and hi-fi stuff from back then. The problem is getting correctly dated currency.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 07 Oct 2018 14:32

vinyl master wrote:Thanks, my friend! By the way, someone else really loves his Pioneer, too!! :wink:

We’re everywhere! I like what you called it: Blue light syndrome. Though the only blue on mine is the Fluoroscan display. I’m contemplating blue LED replacements and getting the selector lights working and analogue tuner pointer synched up with the digital display. There’s a vintage audio sales/repair place about 20 miles away. Guy says he can get it done fairly inexpensively. Then, when I get some spare time, I might build a solid walnut outer case for it. That is a great looking Pioneer, Tony. Their advertised wattage is on the low end of the scale. When I have the 3700 at half volume it drives me out of the room and the neighbors are also listening :D That’s at 45WPC

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Oct 2018 15:30

Yes, it looks like it would have been pretty pricey back then. You can see how the Mad Men found a way to sell to both the husband and wife thus increasing their market! :wink:

There is a very nice brochure available under the manuals at for the Pioneer SX-1500TD on HFE.

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 07 Oct 2018 18:47

vinyl master wrote:You mean this ad, Tink? :-k

I'm listening to my SX770 at this moment. The tricky thing is getting speakers hooked up to it if you don't have those non-standard Pioneer speaker terminal thingies. But I used some screws and it works.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Oct 2018 16:22

ginniegatrit wrote: I'm listening to my SX770 at this moment. The tricky thing is getting speakers hooked up to it if you don't have those non-standard Pioneer speaker terminal thingies. But I used some screws and it works.
Long time, no hear, Ginnie! Where have you been??? :?

You've missed out on all our recent purchases! :wink:

By the way, your 770 would also be a great receiver to own...A 440 came up here locally some time ago, but I wasn't able to capitalize on that one quickly enough...People tend to spot good, cheap vintage FAST around here, but I've still done OK and have been patient enough and astute enough not to miss out on the deals...My recent travels over the past year or so have netted me the following...

1. TECHNICS SL-D202 TURNTABLE $35.00 (Bought an Ortofon Concorde STD cartridge for it - $20.00)
2. TECHNICS SL-D2 TURNTABLE (w/ AT4414S cartridge) $50.00
3. TECHNICS SL-D3 TURNTABLE (w/ Sanyo MG-29 cartridge) $45.00
4. SHERWOOD S-7310 RECEIVER $45.00
5. SHERWOOD S-7800 RECEIVER $20.00
6. TEAC MODEL 22 CASSETTE DECK $20.00
7. TEAC MODEL A-1500 REEL TO REEL DECK (plus 24 tape reels) $30.00
8. TECHNICS M215 CASSETTE DECK $5.99
9. TECHNICS SA-212 RECEIVER $14.99
10. DUAL 1219 TURNTABLE (w/ AT91 cartridge) $50.00 + Shipping
11. PIONEER SX-1500TD RECEIVER $50.00
12. ADVENT/1 SPEAKERS $80.00
13. REALISTIC STA-65C RECEIVER $40.00
14. REALISTIC NOVA-4 AND NOVA-6 SPEAKERS $21.00 FOR THE PAIR!

Whoever said that good vintage ain't cheap should look at those prices! Yes, some of them have needed or will need some work, but the quality is there and that is what counts! Plus, the prices were too good to pass up! :wink:

Sounds like my winter project to-do list will be full, though! #-o 8-[

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Oct 2018 17:34

vinyl master wrote: 4. SHERWOOD S-7310 RECEIVER $45.00
Oops...Meant to say $34.99... :oops: Still cheap, though! 8)

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 08 Oct 2018 21:11

vinyl master wrote:
I've picked up a few things "while I've been gone". Paradigm 9se's for $95... Paradigm 3se Minis for free, Yamaha RX350 for $35...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Oct 2018 21:47

ginniegatrit wrote:
vinyl master wrote:
I've picked up a few things "while I've been gone". Paradigm 9se's for $95... Paradigm 3se Minis for free, Yamaha RX350 for $35...
Ooooh! If you've got any pics of this stuff, I'd love to see 'em! =D> Sounds like you've found more good deals yourself! :mrgreen:

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 10 Oct 2018 22:09

vinyl master wrote:
ginniegatrit wrote:
Ooooh! If you've got any pics of this stuff, I'd love to see 'em! =D> Sounds like you've found more good deals yourself! :mrgreen:
Funny, up to a few months ago I always dreamed of owning some Paradigm speakers. Then my boss had some Paradigm 3SE Minis that he was getting rid of. Free! I refoamed them and was very impressed with their sound. Maybe I should get some more Paradigms I thought. Then I picked up some Paradigm 3SE (not the Mini) without the woofers for $10. To fit into my budget I'll have to get a pair of 8" woofers that certainly won't be Paradigms...
Then of course, I bought Paradigm SE's for $95. Was near the top of line when they first came out.
And yesterday I spotted two speakers on my neighbours curb with the garbage. I took them home and they were Paradigm Titans. They need to be refoamed which I'll probably do this week.
So now I have four pairs of Paradigms - two fully working and two a work in progress.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 12 Oct 2018 22:41

Why would you not use the exact replacement woofers?