Number 33 1/3...And it's a special one for the 45's!!

snap, crackle and pop
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Number 33 1/3...And it's a special one for the 45's!!

Post by vinyl master » 04 Oct 2018 16:46

Well, guys...I've finally gotten up to speed!

33 1/3 that is... 8-[

It's turntable #33, but it's also one-third of a system that I'm putting together with a receiver and speakers for someone very important...It took a while to get here, but the idea has been in the making for quite some time...and thanks to one of our members here and some luck of my own, the system is turning out quite nicely! First off, though (and this is purely educational), I hear a lot here about turntables that were shipped very badly in the past...I would like to show you guys how a turntable is supposed to be shipped...

Now, mind you, this may not be the ABSOLUTE best wrap job I've ever seen, but it didn't HAVE to be! It worked and that's what counts! :D In fact, even though it may not be the cleanest job AND the poster of this turntable was not used to shipping turntables out to Michigan, we STILL worked out the details together and it DID arrive here in one piece, intact, as you will see...I was so impressed, by the way, that I'm keeping all the packing materials he sent me for future use!

But, I digress...I hope he doesn't mind, but I wanted to share his handiwork, so that the rest of you will have an idea how a turntable should be shipped...First off, make sure the box you use is larger than the turntable itself...

Pack it with plenty of stuffing, wrap, paper, foam or whatever else you can find lying around...

If you include separate accessories, pack them separately within a smaller box or two...

It does help to list the contents inside so that the recipient knows exactly what they're getting...

If you're packing something like a turntable, a box within a box is a good idea!

Well, what's to keep the contents from sliding around in transit, you say??? Well, how about taking some bubble wrap pieces and making little rolls that you can stuff alongside around the perimeter of the bigger box...You could take some paper towel rolls, fill them with tissue and wrap with some bubble wrap, too, and secure them with tape...

Our poster made a bunch of those "bubble wrap rolls" and I'm keeping every one for my future packing needs...Now, if you send a turntable, make sure you separate the platter...This one was stored at the bottom of the bigger box...

...and wrapped tightly...

The second box also had plenty of bubble wrap...This all came from another shipment and was donated to our poster by a friend of his...

Remember, guys, even if you think bubble wrap is expensive (which it is and can be...), I would urge you to a.) check your local grocery store as apples and grapes often come packaged with it, b.) ask your local appliance dealer if they keep any of their packing materials and see if they'd let you have some of it, c.) look on Craigslist, as there often are some good deals on packing materials there, or d.) ask a friend to save you some, like our poster did! :wink:

I'm sure there are other sources, too...And if you know someone who has these materials, have them save them for you ahead of time...You never know when you might need it in the future to pack something away or send out a package...

Also...Be sure to wrap the dust cover separately and keep it on top, so it doesn't get cracked or crushed...

The turntable itself should also be tightly wrapped...

There was plenty of tape on the outside which held everything together nicely...

Hmmm...Can you guess what it is yet??? :wink: :D

Notice the cardboard protecting the tonearm...Very important! Here's a look at the underside...

And a look at the idler wheel...

The platter itself was well-protected...The cardboard backing was helpful, too!

And yes, NOTHING'S missing, guys, except a spindle...

The three C's...counterweight, circlip and cartridge are all accounted for...As for the center spindle, in case you guys forgot, I have this little stash of Dual items socked away for moments like this...One of those in the lower left here should do the trick...I could also add one of those 45 rpm adapters...

So, with no further ado, I now present to you...the latest in a long string of projects that have graced my "home for wayward audio"...a "brand new" (well, almost... :roll: ) Dual 1219! =D>

Notice that the tonearm was secured with tape (It came off fairly easily, but you could also use some cable ties or maybe a very tight string and attach it to the tonearm rest...) and transit screws are tight! The idea is that you don't want the tonearm or turntable chassis itself to move around...

The dearing ring looks to be in good shape, although if there are any issues you guys notice in any of these pics, let me know...This is my first 1219, after all, and I could use any and all feedback...

Here's an overhead shot...

And finally, the TT complete with dust cover...

Yeah, it will need some work...The dust cover could use some polishing...I may need another steuerpimpel from Don again...A good cleaning of old grease...A shine of the chassis and some clean-up around the old UA plinth...Looks like a project that's right up my alley... =D>

Now, THIS one is gonna be special, though, as it's not necessarily for me, but part of a project for my vinyl mentor, the man who got me back into vinyl after a 10-year lapse...I owe a lot to him and this will be the perfect gift for him! I had seen a 1219 locally...This one, in fact...

...but it got away! :( I wrote about it here...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91628&start=45

Now, I paid a little more for this one, an initial $50 + shipping, but I think it will be worth it...The plan is to pair it up with this $35 Sherwood receiver I picked up at the local thrift shop, which should serve the Dual nicely! :-k

...and then, some speakers that would match, I think would be in order, although my mentor has some nice quadraphonics from the 70's that could work... :-k

I wanted to give him something automatic, as he has diabetes and his hands aren't as steady as they used to be for lifting a tonearm...I think the 1219 covers those bases...It's a stellar table and worth the resuscitation, don't you think? :-k

Besides, a man with this many 45's...

...needs something decent to play them on, no? 8)

So, just WHO is the man responsible for sending this one out to me, you might ask...

Well, it is our own esteemed member BMRR, who graciously worked with me to get it out...I know sending turntables off to Michigan from Maine is not necessarily his forte and I know it took some time, but he did an admirable job of packing it and deserves much credit that it arrived here in one place...Messy, BUT effective! AND worth the wait! =D> I like it! :mrgreen:

So, for all you turntable packers...Keep those tips in mind when sending a turntable...Secure the tonearm, separate the dust cover and platter, unscrew counterweights, and pack cartridges, headshells, styli, spindles, and any other accessories in a separate box or two...Use plenty of filler like bubble wrap and paper on top...A box within a box is a good idea...I would stay away from the packing peanuts, though...Those little things are insidious in getting everywhere and you have to be careful with something delicate like a turntable with many moving parts...

Still, this will be a fun project for the winter to come and I'll keep you guys updated as time goes on...Come to think of it, I'll probably save all the materials for when I send everything off to my mentor...I know he'll get a kick out of playing his precious 45's again...And it's no slouch for albums, either! :wink:

In closing, I would like to thank BMRR for his time, kindness, patience, generosity and immeasurable skill in getting this one out to me...Yes, my friend, I'm glad you didn't scrap it for parts! #-o [-X

And thanks for the AT91, too... =D> I might enclose a spare stylus, just in case, so I could some suggestions for that, as well... :-k

This Dual deserves to stay intact and make music again, which I'm most certain it will! :D

So, what do you guys think of my latest "toy"? I'm sure there will be many thoughts, comments and words of advice, so bring 'em on!! =D>

I, for one, am a happy camper with a new project, but then again, when it comes to new projects, when am I NOT a happy camper??? :lol:

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Number 33 1/3...And it's a special one for the 45's!!

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Oct 2018 19:00

Hi Vinyl Master,

Congratulations! I expect that your latest Dual will turn out fine.

Is that your record collection? I need to show my wife that picture in an attempt to convince her that I'm almost sane!

Phil
vinyl master wrote:Well, guys...I've finally gotten up to speed!

33 1/3 that is... 8-[

It's turntable #33, but it's also one-third of a system that I'm putting together with a receiver and speakers for someone very important...It took a while to get here, but the idea has been in the making for quite some time...and thanks to one of our members here and some luck of my own, the system is turning out quite nicely! First off, though (and this is purely educational), I hear a lot here about turntables that were shipped very badly in the past...I would like to show you guys how a turntable is supposed to be shipped...

Now, mind you, this may not be the ABSOLUTE best wrap job I've ever seen, but it didn't HAVE to be! It worked and that's what counts! :D In fact, even though it may not be the cleanest job AND the poster of this turntable was not used to shipping turntables out to Michigan, we STILL worked out the details together and it DID arrive here in one piece, intact, as you will see...I was so impressed, by the way, that I'm keeping all the packing materials he sent me for future use!

But, I digress...I hope he doesn't mind, but I wanted to share his handiwork, so that the rest of you will have an idea how a turntable should be shipped...First off, make sure the box you use is larger than the turntable itself...

Pack it with plenty of stuffing, wrap, paper, foam or whatever else you can find lying around...

If you include separate accessories, pack them separately within a smaller box or two...

It does help to list the contents inside so that the recipient knows exactly what they're getting...

If you're packing something like a turntable, a box within a box is a good idea!

Well, what's to keep the contents from sliding around in transit, you say??? Well, how about taking some bubble wrap pieces and making little rolls that you can stuff alongside around the perimeter of the bigger box...You could take some paper towel rolls, fill them with tissue and wrap with some bubble wrap, too, and secure them with tape...

Our poster made a bunch of those "bubble wrap rolls" and I'm keeping every one for my future packing needs...Now, if you send a turntable, make sure you separate the platter...This one was stored at the bottom of the bigger box...

...and wrapped tightly...

The second box also had plenty of bubble wrap...This all came from another shipment and was donated to our poster by a friend of his...

Remember, guys, even if you think bubble wrap is expensive (which it is and can be...), I would urge you to a.) check your local grocery store as apples and grapes often come packaged with it, b.) ask your local appliance dealer if they keep any of their packing materials and see if they'd let you have some of it, c.) look on Craigslist, as there often are some good deals on packing materials there, or d.) ask a friend to save you some, like our poster did! :wink:

I'm sure there are other sources, too...And if you know someone who has these materials, have them save them for you ahead of time...You never know when you might need it in the future to pack something away or send out a package...

Also...Be sure to wrap the dust cover separately and keep it on top, so it doesn't get cracked or crushed...

The turntable itself should also be tightly wrapped...

There was plenty of tape on the outside which held everything together nicely...

Hmmm...Can you guess what it is yet??? :wink: :D

Notice the cardboard protecting the tonearm...Very important! Here's a look at the underside...

And a look at the idler wheel...

The platter itself was well-protected...The cardboard backing was helpful, too!

And yes, NOTHING'S missing, guys, except a spindle...

The three C's...counterweight, circlip and cartridge are all accounted for...As for the center spindle, in case you guys forgot, I have this little stash of Dual items socked away for moments like this...One of those in the lower left here should do the trick...I could also add one of those 45 rpm adapters...

So, with no further ado, I now present to you...the latest in a long string of projects that have graced my "home for wayward audio"...a "brand new" (well, almost... :roll: ) Dual 1219! =D>

Notice that the tonearm was secured with tape (It came off fairly easily, but you could also use some cable ties or maybe a very tight string and attach it to the tonearm rest...) and transit screws are tight! The idea is that you don't want the tonearm or turntable chassis itself to move around...

The dearing ring looks to be in good shape, although if there are any issues you guys notice in any of these pics, let me know...This is my first 1219, after all, and I could use any and all feedback...

Here's an overhead shot...

And finally, the TT complete with dust cover...

Yeah, it will need some work...The dust cover could use some polishing...I may need another steuerpimpel from Don again...A good cleaning of old grease...A shine of the chassis and some clean-up around the old UA plinth...Looks like a project that's right up my alley... =D>

Now, THIS one is gonna be special, though, as it's not necessarily for me, but part of a project for my vinyl mentor, the man who got me back into vinyl after a 10-year lapse...I owe a lot to him and this will be the perfect gift for him! I had seen a 1219 locally...This one, in fact...

...but it got away! :( I wrote about it here...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91628&start=45

Now, I paid a little more for this one, an initial $50 + shipping, but I think it will be worth it...The plan is to pair it up with this $35 Sherwood receiver I picked up at the local thrift shop, which should serve the Dual nicely! :-k

...and then, some speakers that would match, I think would be in order, although my mentor has some nice quadraphonics from the 70's that could work... :-k

I wanted to give him something automatic, as he has diabetes and his hands aren't as steady as they used to be for lifting a tonearm...I think the 1219 covers those bases...It's a stellar table and worth the resuscitation, don't you think? :-k

Besides, a man with this many 45's...

...needs something decent to play them on, no? 8)

So, just WHO is the man responsible for sending this one out to me, you might ask...

Well, it is our own esteemed member BMRR, who graciously worked with me to get it out...I know sending turntables off to Michigan from Maine is not necessarily his forte and I know it took some time, but he did an admirable job of packing it and deserves much credit that it arrived here in one place...Messy, BUT effective! AND worth the wait! =D> I like it! :mrgreen:

So, for all you turntable packers...Keep those tips in mind when sending a turntable...Secure the tonearm, separate the dust cover and platter, unscrew counterweights, and pack cartridges, headshells, styli, spindles, and any other accessories in a separate box or two...Use plenty of filler like bubble wrap and paper on top...A box within a box is a good idea...I would stay away from the packing peanuts, though...Those little things are insidious in getting everywhere and you have to be careful with something delicate like a turntable with many moving parts...

Still, this will be a fun project for the winter to come and I'll keep you guys updated as time goes on...Come to think of it, I'll probably save all the materials for when I send everything off to my mentor...I know he'll get a kick out of playing his precious 45's again...And it's no slouch for albums, either! :wink:

In closing, I would like to thank BMRR for his time, kindness, patience, generosity and immeasurable skill in getting this one out to me...Yes, my friend, I'm glad you didn't scrap it for parts! #-o [-X

And thanks for the AT91, too... =D> I might enclose a spare stylus, just in case, so I could some suggestions for that, as well... :-k

This Dual deserves to stay intact and make music again, which I'm most certain it will! :D

So, what do you guys think of my latest "toy"? I'm sure there will be many thoughts, comments and words of advice, so bring 'em on!! =D>

I, for one, am a happy camper with a new project, but then again, when it comes to new projects, when am I NOT a happy camper??? :lol:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 04 Oct 2018 19:16

It looks great VM!

That was very nice of BMMR to find a new home for it with you! =D>

The important thing with the dearing of in is to check the single/multi sleeve under the tone arm which holds two ball bearings in place. Sometimes the sleev gets brittle with age and can break. If you see any cracks whatsoever in the sleeve then replace it, and it should probably be replaced if it hasn't been since new.

Don can help you out with a new sleeve in addition to a new steurpimpel if needed, and Alvania grease too if you need some.

It's a beautiful turntable which will impress you once you've had a chance to get it set up and playing.

MRL_LPLvr

Post by MRL_LPLvr » 04 Oct 2018 21:17

Coffee Phil - what was the point of quoting the entire first post? Confused.

VM - great info and story. Thanks for sharing.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Oct 2018 22:55

No point really. I should be more careful to edit out the pictures.

Phil

MRL_LPLvr wrote:Coffee Phil - what was the point of quoting the entire first post? Confused.

VM - great info and story. Thanks for sharing.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Oct 2018 06:44

Coffee Phil wrote:Hi Vinyl Master,

Is that your record collection? I need to show my wife that picture in an attempt to convince her that I'm almost sane!

Phil
THAT, my friend, is the 45 rpm collection of my vinyl mentor! =D> 5,000+ of the little buggers (Go ahead and show the wife! My vinyl mentor is proud of it! :D), although by now, I have him beat...Still, he has a lot of great records that he hasn't been able to enjoy, due to having trouble manually moving a tonearm...Like I said, the automatic feature should help immensely, so having that work is a must! I wrote a little about his collection some time back...Look at the 2nd post here...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=80818&start=75

For all he's done for me, it's the least I could do for him...He has talked about getting a belt for this old plastic Realistic turntable from the 80's for years and I just thought that he could do much better than that for the 45's and with his condition, I thought having a decent working automatic turntable would give him a reason to enjoy them again without too much agitation...When I talked about this to him some time back, he seemed very excited about the idea...So now, I just need to spend some time getting this gift together for him and making sure everything works!

For sure, I need to get in touch with Don and get one of those steuerpimpels and it probably wouldn't hurt to get the sleeve I need, too, just in case! Even if I don't use it here, who's to say that another 1219 won't come along eventually...

Again, I have that AT91 cartridge and stylus from BMRR...What do you think about that one for the 45's? Any thoughts on a spare stylus I could go with? What are my options here...or in other words, what would you guys go for if you were me?

I might also want to send him a vintage Shure, for comparison on another headshell...or maybe there's one out there I'm missing? :-k What would YOU guys recommend for something like the 1219? Just in case the stylus gets dropped somehow, I don't want to spend a total fortune on the stylus, even though he'll probably use the automatic function more than not...

In any case, this one was too good to pass up and I just had to get it...When BMRR said he was going to scrap it if there were no takers, I couldn't let it happen...It deserves to stay intact! 8) You guys gotta be quick if you want those good deals...I'm now sorry I passed it up for so long, but funds just weren't available at the time...Fortunately, things are good now and I have been able to remedy that...Now I can say I don't just rescue them from the landfill, but from the "parts bin", too! :wink:

Know quality when you see it and don't give it a second chance or else it might escape from you...

In any case, stay tuned for further updates in time...

Keep the advice and suggestions coming! :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Oct 2018 09:56

You could use a Shure M91ED as an alternate cartridge since you may have a spare around and know a lot about them. When 45s were big that was a go to cartridge for many, along with the M75ED. The different styli which would fit the M75 will also work on the M91.

There could also be the opportunity to use the 1219 as a stacker with the right spindles down the road.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 05 Oct 2018 15:23

The stock stylus on the AT91 has a .6mil spherical diamond with a tracking range of 2.5g to 3.5g. It sounds great, and the cantilever is very durable/rugged. A good alternative stylus if you want a bit more fidelity is the Pfanstiehl 4211-DE, available from Gary for $12:

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ategories=

That stylus has a .4x.7mil elliptical diamond and tracks at 2g.

If you wanted a really big upgrade, there are hyperelliptical and Shibata styli from TurntableNeedles:

https://www.turntableneedles.com/ATN360 ... _3818.html

https://www.turntableneedles.com/ATN-36 ... ble_Stylus

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 05 Oct 2018 18:06

Hi Vinyl Master,

This morning I did show my wife the pictures. It did not work out as expected. Her comment:
"If only yours were that organized". One would think that after nearly 50 years of marriage I could have predicted that.

Phil

vinyl master wrote:

Phil
THAT, my friend, is the 45 rpm collection of my vinyl mentor! =D> 5,000+ of the little buggers (Go ahead and show the wife! My vinyl mentor is proud of it!

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 05 Oct 2018 22:11

BMRR wrote:The stock stylus on the AT91 has a .6mil spherical diamond with a tracking range of 2.5g to 3.5g. It sounds great, and the cantilever is very durable/rugged.
By the way, if your friend will be using this turntable mainly to play 45s, and especially if he'll be using the stacker spindle, his best bet is to stick with the stock stylus that comes with the cart, and if you want to get another one to keep on hand as a spare, Gary sells them for $20 (the 211-D6C):

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 06 Oct 2018 00:44

BMRR wrote:
By the way, if your friend will be using this turntable mainly to play 45s, and especially if he'll be using the stacker spindle, his best bet is to stick with the stock stylus that comes with the cart, and if you want to get another one to keep on hand as a spare, Gary sells them for $20
That was going to be my question, wheres the stacker spindles?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Oct 2018 16:00

eddie edirol wrote:
BMRR wrote:
By the way, if your friend will be using this turntable mainly to play 45s, and especially if he'll be using the stacker spindle, his best bet is to stick with the stock stylus that comes with the cart, and if you want to get another one to keep on hand as a spare, Gary sells them for $20
That was going to be my question, wheres the stacker spindles?
Hmmm...I do have an AW-3 here that I bought for my 1226 and I also have that AS-12, Drew...You guys have me thinking that I should look for another one for this 1219... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Oct 2018 16:01

BMRR wrote:
BMRR wrote:The stock stylus on the AT91 has a .6mil spherical diamond with a tracking range of 2.5g to 3.5g. It sounds great, and the cantilever is very durable/rugged.
By the way, if your friend will be using this turntable mainly to play 45s, and especially if he'll be using the stacker spindle, his best bet is to stick with the stock stylus that comes with the cart, and if you want to get another one to keep on hand as a spare, Gary sells them for $20 (the 211-D6C):

Good advice, there, my friend...I just may look into this one... =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Oct 2018 16:15

This morning I did show my wife the pictures. It did not work out as expected. Her comment:
"If only yours were that organized". One would think that after nearly 50 years of marriage I could have predicted that.

Phil

vinyl master wrote:

Phil
THAT, my friend, is the 45 rpm collection of my vinyl mentor! =D> 5,000+ of the little buggers (Go ahead and show the wife! My vinyl mentor is proud of it!
"If only yours were that organized", eh, Phil? Sounds like maybe you need to do what our friend Rob here did...

IF you could organize them autobiographically, though, that would REALLY be impressive! :lol:

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 06 Oct 2018 18:21

Hi Vinyl Master,

I'm not quite that bad. In fact before our move ~ a decade ago my records and CDs were pretty well arranged and on shelves. Those which were arranged then pretty much still are, but stuff acquired since the move from thrift stores and the Capital Public Radio record sales have largely been arranged "autobiographically" throughout my lab and stereo room upstairs. Hopefully I'll get better before I'm under the grass.

Phil
vinyl master wrote:

Phil
THAT, my friend, is the 45 rpm collection of my vinyl mentor! =D> 5,000+ of the little buggers (Go ahead and show the wife! My vinyl mentor is proud of it![/quote]

"If only yours were that organized", eh, Phil? Sounds like maybe you need to do what our friend Rob here did...

IF you could organize them autobiographically, though, that would REALLY be impressive! :lol:[/quote]