Who the hell did I loan THIS LP to?

how clean is your house
Jimbuy

Who the hell did I loan THIS LP to?

Post by Jimbuy » 27 Feb 2018 22:33

No, I'm not talking about lost records.
I mean have you ever taken out an old album only to be shocked at how dirty it is. I just took out Carol King Music, and two Delaney & Bonnie LPs and was horrified. And it's not like I even played Motel Shot more than 6 times. Could I have been that cavalier, or is something going on inside those covers while albums are just sitting there? Is the paper disintegrating? Nothing was ever stored in a moldy crawl space or anything.

Is it just me?

KILLorBE

Re: Who the hell did I loan THIS LP to?

Post by KILLorBE » 27 Feb 2018 23:10

At some point I had the idea some tiny critters were taking a s#*! on my records, but maybe it had to do with the room I was living in (Old house with wooden floors).

Ever since I moved to my current apartment I haven't played a lot of records, especially not in the past 5 years or so, so I don't know if it has gotten worse and I also didn't buy any (new) records for a very long time, til last week :D

Not to mention that most of my records (2/3 or so) are now stored in a steel cupboard.

Time will tell, but first I will clean every single record when I'm done building an ultrasonic record cleaner and a vacuum.

Jimbuy

Post by Jimbuy » 28 Feb 2018 00:06

Good plan. Enjoy getting reacquainted with your vinyl!

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 08 Apr 2018 15:19

I've said in another thread that I was horrified by the sound out of a James Gang Straight Shooter lp that I pulled out after years of non-use... NEVER loaned it out (I like obscure stuff), but I thought it was clean enough to play with just a brush...ran it through the SpinClean and the few invisible pops aside, it sounded great!

Jimbuy

Post by Jimbuy » 08 Apr 2018 16:00

Wow! Only the three of us are willing to admit to this. Must be a lot of folks in denial. ;^)

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 08 Apr 2018 16:34

Not sure about that, but I know that thread about 2 in 1 shampoo was pretty accurate, too. Digs deep down and leaves a shine on it, too...takes a lot of noise away... Shooter sounded even better.
I got a bunch of records from my neighbor when he moved last week. Many of them cleaned up really well between the SpinClean and 2 in 1.