Pioneer PL-450

snap, crackle and pop
southofmotown

Pioneer PL-450

Post by southofmotown » 22 Dec 2017 19:50

Once in the full play of an lp, the speed will slow (or speed up?) for a second, making a "wowwee" effect. It's enough to live with for my personal use, but is there anything I can do to eliminate the issue? Thanks, Todd

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Pioneer PL-450

Post by musicmn » 22 Dec 2017 22:28

Hi Todd, from what I can find online about this turntable is that it uses a DC motor to make the platter spin. Now on most turntables with DC motor there or Pitch controls for the platter speed. Some have external pitch controls that the user of the turntable can use to make adjustments in the speed of the platter (pitch). And some only have internal pitch controls that are usually only accessible only when the bottom is removed. These internal pitch controls can be cleaned with Deoxit contact cleaner spray and this will usually help to get rid the unstable pitch issues. On that turntable because there are no external pitch controls or strobe to watch you will need to down load a strobe from the tools section on this site to set the speed of the platter back to 33.3 and 45 once you clean the internal controls. I have included a picture of what the internal pitch controls look like they are called Variable resistors or VR's for short. Some are marked 33/45 or they maybe marked 101/102. There are a bunch of post that explain how to clean and adjust these just use the custom google search engine on this site to find them.
Attachments
Technics sl220 turntable 006 (Copy).JPG
This picture shows the 33 and 45 VR opening for adjustment. THIS is a Technics turntable but for the most part they all are the same when it comes to these VR's
(917.87 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Technics sl220 turntable 002 (Copy).JPG
Under side of board where the VR's are mounted.
(903.28 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

southofmotown

Re: Pioneer PL-450

Post by southofmotown » 27 Dec 2017 15:32

Very helpful stuff. Thanks for your time!