What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

3 minute wonder
Mrs Ritchie Valens
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 305
Joined: 04 Jul 2019 23:01
Location: Williamsburg Virginia USA

What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 21 Jul 2019 00:23

There's a topic like this in the 45 RPM thred, so I thought the 78's should get the same kind of love!!
I haven't bought any 78's for a looooong while now, but maybe you all have?

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5793
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by BMRR » 26 Aug 2019 21:48

I bought a set of 78 discs with songs from the Doris Day movie "Young Man With A Horn." I posted some audio/video here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 65#p997127

Mrs Ritchie Valens
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 305
Joined: 04 Jul 2019 23:01
Location: Williamsburg Virginia USA

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 28 Aug 2019 15:51

Sweet!! Would love to own her on 78's!!
Have a couple of albums of hers as well as some 45's, but no 78's though!

Bob Dillon
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 628
Joined: 03 Mar 2019 20:22

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Bob Dillon » 28 Aug 2019 18:19

Very common, those Doris Day Columbia 78 singles. Harry James, too.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 305
Joined: 04 Jul 2019 23:01
Location: Williamsburg Virginia USA

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 29 Aug 2019 00:26

Well, Doris was popular when 78's rained. She started singing in the 30's on up through the 60's.
Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know if she sang in the 30's, it might have been through the 40's, on up through the 60's.

Bob Dillon
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 628
Joined: 03 Mar 2019 20:22

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Bob Dillon » 29 Aug 2019 00:36

She started with Les Brown's band right around 1938 or so ? Barely out of her teens at the time. I reflected on that fact after Doris's recent passing. I don't think there is another significant singer that came out of the big band era that is still living. Doris was the last one. Then there is Vera Lynne, still living, but that's the U.K. side.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 305
Joined: 04 Jul 2019 23:01
Location: Williamsburg Virginia USA

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 29 Aug 2019 15:24

I really love Doris's voice!! I'll have to keep my eye out for some of her 78's!! Were the only 78's of hers that came in sets were ones that came from her films?

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5793
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by BMRR » 29 Aug 2019 18:21

I did a search on Discogs and found one 78 album from 1949 that did not appear to be a movie soundtrack. The rest of the 78 albums were soundtracks.

Then I found a bunch of 78 singles from 1947 to 1956, but it was hard to tell whether the songs were from movies or not.

Bob Dillon
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 628
Joined: 03 Mar 2019 20:22

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Bob Dillon » 29 Aug 2019 20:41

Some would be from movies and some not. It'll usually say on the label, underneath the song title, if it's song from a movie or musical. One of her big sellers was It's Magic from the movie Romance on the High Seas. Common record to run into, that one. But years from now Sentimental Journey (with Les Brown) may be her most remembered. It was a big hit and not from a movie. It's also of course, very easy to find. The red 'microphone label' Columbia 78 singles with the likes of Day, Frank Sinatra, Jo Stafford, Frankie Laine, etc. are very plentiful out there.

wblynch
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 26
Joined: 06 Aug 2019 20:41

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by wblynch » 20 Oct 2019 23:57

Found a bunch of 78s at a local used stuff store. Came out with 120 random records for $80. Haven’t gone through them and don’t even have 78 playback capabilities at this time. But cleaned off the first dozen and added them to my DiscOGS collection. Earliest so far is from 1909. Most are 1920-48.

I’m excited to listen to them. Have to convert my SL-1900 first.

PioneerFan
senior member
senior member
Posts: 297
Joined: 26 Jul 2016 15:00

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by PioneerFan » 22 Oct 2019 16:07

I enjoy the sound and pressing quality of the Columbia red labels. Most of my Sinatra collection is on it. Just because it's "common" doesn't mean it's not great.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5772
Joined: 20 Sep 2008 08:22
Location: California

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Oct 2019 17:27

Hi wblynch,

You machine controls speed with RC time constants so it is very likely that you can easily get it to spin at 78.26 RPM.

Phil
wblynch wrote:
20 Oct 2019 23:57
Found a bunch of 78s at a local used stuff store. Came out with 120 random records for $80. Haven’t gone through them and don’t even have 78 playback capabilities at this time. But cleaned off the first dozen and added them to my DiscOGS collection. Earliest so far is from 1909. Most are 1920-48.

I’m excited to listen to them. Have to convert my SL-1900 first.

Bob Dillon
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 628
Joined: 03 Mar 2019 20:22

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Bob Dillon » 22 Oct 2019 18:04

PioneerFan wrote:
22 Oct 2019 16:07
I enjoy the sound and pressing quality of the Columbia red labels. Most of my Sinatra collection is on it. Just because it's "common" doesn't mean it's not great.
Those Columbia's 78's are dubbings. Columbia was recording masters on 33 1/3 rpm lacquer discs by that point - starting in 1939 that is. Most all the Sinatra Columbia material was reissued on CD some years ago, mostly tranferred from the surviving 33 1/3 rpm lacquers. The sound is much better than the 78's. But hey, the 78's are still fun.

PioneerFan
senior member
senior member
Posts: 297
Joined: 26 Jul 2016 15:00

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by PioneerFan » 22 Oct 2019 18:07

Bob Dillon wrote:
22 Oct 2019 18:04
PioneerFan wrote:
22 Oct 2019 16:07
I enjoy the sound and pressing quality of the Columbia red labels. Most of my Sinatra collection is on it. Just because it's "common" doesn't mean it's not great.
Those Columbia's 78's are dubbings. Columbia was recording masters on 33 1/3 rpm lacquer discs by that point - starting in 1939 that is. Most all the Sinatra Columbia material was reissued on CD some years ago, mostly tranferred from the surviving 33 1/3 rpm lacquers. The sound is much better than the 78's. But hey, the 78's are still fun.
Sure. Nothing compares to the experience. Nothing. It is very nostalgic, even though I was not even alive until decades later. There is something comforting in the traditions and rituals of our ancestors.

wblynch
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 26
Joined: 06 Aug 2019 20:41

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by wblynch » 02 Nov 2019 06:43

Coffee Phil wrote:
22 Oct 2019 17:27
Hi wblynch,

You machine controls speed with RC time constants so it is very likely that you can easily get it to spin at 78.26 RPM.

Phil
wblynch wrote:
20 Oct 2019 23:57
Found a bunch of 78s at a local used stuff store. Came out with 120 random records for $80. Haven’t gone through them and don’t even have 78 playback capabilities at this time. But cleaned off the first dozen and added them to my DiscOGS collection. Earliest so far is from 1909. Most are 1920-48.

I’m excited to listen to them. Have to convert my SL-1900 first.
Thanks Coffee Phil.

I couldn’t find any info for converting my Technics SL-1900 and guides for other models didn’t help. But some poking around and experimentation led me to find that bridging R10 with a 28 kohm resistor got me very close. I do have to adjust the 45 rpm speed control but I have 78 now. I might try a 22 kohm instead. A switch allows me to retain 45 functionality.

After reviewing the 120 78s I now have, the earliest are 1904 and 1905.

I was happy to find Billy Murray’s “Casey Jones, the Brave Engineer”, from 1910. As far as I can tell, this is the first recording of the legendary song.

Post Reply