The Advent Loudspeaker (the original)

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Adamo0926
United States of America

The Advent Loudspeaker (the original)

Post by Adamo0926 » 12 Aug 2019 19:24

I might be listening to a pair of these this Thursday. These are not a project as they are in excellent condition and the woofers were professionally re-foamed within the past 6 months.

Might be able to grab them for about 130.00 or so for the pair.

My roommate in college had these in our apartment and I remember loving their sound back then.

Anybody have or had these recently ? Worth the purchase ?

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: The Advent Loudspeaker (the original)

Post by lenjack » 13 Aug 2019 01:00

You know what they sounded like back in college, so if they were refoamed to sound like new, and you don't want them, I'll take them. Another set of speakers I'm sorry I sold. Traded for Powered Advents...a lateral move, at best.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 13 Aug 2019 03:35

Vinyl fake wood or the real wood veneer? These original Advents or NLA (New Larger Advents)? Original wood veneer Advents operating as intended are easily worth $130. The original Advent in the "utility" vinyl cabinets are "okay" at $130 if clean and working well.

I am less taken with New Larger Advents, but with real veneer "bull nosed" cabinets the price is okay (the cabinets are lovely) if you like the sound. I find NLA sound "less magical" with harsher highs. YMMV.

Back in college I ran original Advents, stacked, with a McIntosh 2505 amp. ASTOUNDING bass for the money. They don't image like a modern speakers - expect a more "diffuse" presentation VS. a very precise image you get from modern mini-monitor or planar. You need power if you want LOUD. Tweeters can be sensitive to clipping. Never blew mine but know folks who did.

Based on a recent listen I find I like the sounds of the Smaller Advent to the original Advent. This assumes both speaker pairs were working the way they should. All this is IMHO.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Aug 2019 03:39

Henry Kloss, the designer, insisted that the original and the smaller, sounded absolutely identical.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 13 Aug 2019 03:45

Hi, imo if you can get these speakers for $130.00 grab them. I have had 4 pairs of these speakers and because of what I was offered for each pair I sold them. Over this weekend I picked up another pair and typical the woofers need refoaming but the tweeters are good and the bull nose cabinets are in nice shape. I'll be keeping these until someone comes along and offers me crazy money for them. The first pair I had I sold for $150.00 and the last pair I sold for $275.00. I just ordered the foam surround kit for the woofers today. I do love the sound from these speakers but I just can't turn down cold hard cash. :D

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Aug 2019 03:51

I actually traded Ar3a's for my original Advents after ABing them at a dealer. I didn't expect that I would, but I followed my ears. It was close, but definitive.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 13 Aug 2019 03:53

pivot wrote:
13 Aug 2019 03:35
Vinyl fake wood or the real wood veneer? These original Advents or NLA (New Larger Advents)? Original wood veneer Advents operating as intended are easily worth $130. The original Advent in the "utility" vinyl cabinets are "okay" at $130 if clean and working well.

I am less taken with New Larger Advents, but with real veneer "bull nosed" cabinets the price is okay (the cabinets are lovely) if you like the sound. I find NLA sound "less magical" with harsher highs. YMMV.

Back in college I ran original Advents, stacked, with a McIntosh 2505 amp. ASTOUNDING bass for the money. They don't image like a modern speakers - expect a more "diffuse" presentation VS. a very precise image you get from modern mini-monitor or planar. You need power if you want LOUD. Tweeters can be sensitive to clipping. Never blew mine but know folks who did.

Based on a recent listen I find I like the sounds of the Smaller Advent to the original Advent. This assumes both speaker pairs were working the way they should. All this is IMHO.
They are the real wood veneer.....I thought I might be able to get them for 130.00....but I agreed to go to 150.00.....they are in really nice shape and I'm not going to lose any sleep over 20.00 given the fact that I have already spent 800.00 on receivers in the past couple of months....lol

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Aug 2019 03:56

We go nuts over this hobby, don't we. It's incurable. =P~ #-o

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 13 Aug 2019 04:16

lenjack wrote:
13 Aug 2019 03:56
We go nuts over this hobby, don't we. It's incurable. =P~ #-o
I could spend money on far worse things !

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 13 Aug 2019 13:24

Adamo0926 wrote:
13 Aug 2019 03:53

They are the real wood veneer.....I thought I might be able to get them for 130.00....but I agreed to go to 150.00.....they are in really nice shape and I'm not going to lose any sleep over 20.00 given the fact that I have already spent 800.00 on receivers in the past couple of months....lol
If you like the presentation in your room, that is a fine price.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 13 Aug 2019 15:12

I had a couple of Advent speakers in college back in the 80s. I do not remember the model, but they were two ways, rather large and real wood. They sounded excellent, specially as regards the bass.

When I graduated in 86 I sold them to a freshman for $300, which was 25% off the price I had paid for them new a year before. He probably did the same after his graduation. I would not be surprised if they are still providing someone out there with musical joy. 8)

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 13 Aug 2019 15:52

The Advent Loudspeaker is still one of my favorite speakers of all time.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Aug 2019 15:54

At the time of it's production,the original was the number one selling speaker in the world.

Belmont

Post by Belmont » 13 Aug 2019 21:03

How exactly do these compare against the KLH Model Six? I see they have the same designer, and a similar driver compliment. I loooove my Sixes, especially for the rich bass and realistic midrange, but the highs have always been kinda..eh. Worth seeking out the Advents, or should I look elsewhere?

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 13 Aug 2019 21:24

Belmont wrote:
13 Aug 2019 21:03
How exactly do these compare against the KLH Model Six? I see they have the same designer, and a similar driver compliment. I loooove my Sixes, especially for the rich bass and realistic midrange, but the highs have always been kinda..eh. Worth seeking out the Advents, or should I look elsewhere?
I've read a lot about The Advent Loudspeaker and a lot of people talked about the great bass performance much like your KLH's. I've also read that the highs are very detailed and smooth. My roommate my senior year in college had this model Advent I believe. That was 1978-79. I remember really loving his speakers and thought at the time they were very full but detailed sounding. Of course that's the last time I heard them which was 40 years ago now : )

After I heard his I always wanted a pair....took me 40 years but it looks like I will finally be getting a pair.