anything and nothing
joedisco
Mexico

Re: INSTEAD of listening?

Post by joedisco » 19 Jun 2019 22:21

goatbreath wrote:
19 Jun 2019 06:06
Firstly,thank you very much.. :D :D

Is Doogie White the guy that sang in Rainbow too..??

Schenker is an awesome player..
I remember getting firstly Phenomenon home then Force it and thinking,
this guy is a missing link between the British Blues influenced Rock players and players like Randy Rhoads etc..
So was his replacement in The Scorpions,Uli Roth..
Both very different players,but a vital part of Heavy Rock's evolution..
First hearing of Sails of Charon I thought,how did I miss this guy,it influenced and inspired me..
That was less than 10 years ago..I had no idea about him,I had just heard his name..
I think Yngwie done a lot of listening to Uli and Late 70s/80s players done a lot of listening to Schenker..
I like players that still have traces of the Blues in their playing but do their own thing and break new ground..
I think Schenker deserves more recognition for that ,mixing the Blues and Classical ideas..
Blackmore done that too,no slouch of a player either..
Blackmore being British I feel automatically gets more recognition..
I bet there are lots more German and indeed European players from that era that are Jaw Droppingly good that don't get anywhere near the recognition they deserve..
It is also pretty clear Schenker must have been a huge element of UFO's change in direction..
Although I must admit I do like their psychedelic Era stuff with Mick Bolton too..
I have a compilation of that era stuff and love it..
It is very different from the Schenker era stuff though..

Linton is back singing cover versions in Pubs and Clubs to keep alive..
I think he really deserves more than that..
Especially because as a personality he is such a generous caring and giving guy,also a creative one..
Being honest,,there only is one Dan McCafferty,he has a very distinctive singing voice and is irreplaceable..
Guys like Doogie White and Linton really do deserve better though,
they have their own thing going on too..
Dan is a legend and a very nice guy..
Linton went on to work with Manny Charlton too..
Manny is apparently a great guy,
but again,Linton had to sing clubs doing other people's material to make ends meet..
Linton speaks highly of Billy Rankin and Zal Cleminson too..
Sensational Alex Harvey Band,great and very different band..
I remember seeing Zal as a kid in his green and yellow get up and thinking,WTF..
A lot of cool ,different and creative stuff going on back then..
I own most of the SAHB stuff..
Now they were a bunch of Bad Asses.. :D :D
Yes, lots of great musicians that go unnoticed!
For me, Schenker is one of the greatests guitar players of all time.
I absoultely love his music.
That psychedelic early Scorpions album called Lonsome Crow is very experimental, pure, excellent.
I consider that album like the mirror of UFO with Bolton.
I think by the time Schenker got into UFO, the psychedelic stuff was over.
Maybe you have the UFO album compilation called "The Decca Years".

On the other hand, Scorpions "Fly to the Rainbow" is for me a remarkable album and Schenker contributed no little to it.
If you listen to that album, the drummer Hans Jurgen Rosenthal is the very soul of that album. Brilliant drummer! And coupled with Uli Jon Roth and that album is just fantastic. In my opinion thats the very best Scorpions album.

I remember when I first listened to UFO I was stunned, I was like "wow, that's professional rock, this is serious stuff".
I was given a cassette tape Headstone The Best of UFO and I played it again and again. I was like five years old. Some songs are with Schenker and some with Paul Chapman, another great guitar player by the way.
For me there is a clear UFO style, sound, mark, I don't know how to call it, but after so many years my very first impression remains: "professional", "serious" rock. Maybe that makes no sense but such are the words that come to my mind.
In a similar way, Schenker has a very characteristic style.

Yes, Doogie sang with Rainbow too. A great voice. He deserves more!

Blackmore, yes, but he is far more famous. I think nearly anyone knows Blackmore. A great guitar player. Is it in part because he is British? Maybe, that helps. I guess Deep Purple has had a music style close to the general taste while on the other hand, UFO, early Scorpions, Uli Jon Roth and Schenker are a bit more kind of niche.

Uli Jon Roth, another great guitar player, for sure (he is the lead guitar in Fly to the Rainbow). He has toured with Schenker. Actually the gig I attended was called somewhat like a scorps reunion but the old early Scorpions because they brought Francis Bucholz on the bass and Herman Rarebell on the drums. I would like to see Rosenthal on the drums some day but I guess thats just a fantasy, thats impossible.

Uli with Electric Sun is also kind of rare to find. Ive seen Electric Sun vinyl on ebay or amazon very expensive.

There is an Yngwie Malmsteen CD called "Inspiration". He dedicates it to Hendrix, Blackmore and Uli Jon Roth. Yngwie plays Sails of Charon on that album.
Yngwie is brilliant as well. I attended a Malmsteen gig, he is a showman, he is always giving a show just like Hendrix.

If I remember well, Schenker says he was inspired by Wishbone Ash and yes, after listening to Wishbone Ash you can track that melodic guitar solos, in the case of Wishbone Ash, twin guitars. I bet Iron Maiden has also been inspired by Wishbone Ash because I can listen twin melodic guitar solos in Iron Maiden.

Schenker, Uli, Doogie, Linton are just a handful of musicians that deserve a lot more recognition.

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 21 Jun 2019 07:24

joedisco wrote:
19 Jun 2019 22:21
goatbreath wrote:
19 Jun 2019 06:06
Firstly,thank you very much.. :D :D

Is Doogie White the guy that sang in Rainbow too..??

Schenker is an awesome player..
I remember getting firstly Phenomenon home then Force it and thinking,
this guy is a missing link between the British Blues influenced Rock players and players like Randy Rhoads etc..
So was his replacement in The Scorpions,Uli Roth..
Both very different players,but a vital part of Heavy Rock's evolution..
First hearing of Sails of Charon I thought,how did I miss this guy,it influenced and inspired me..
That was less than 10 years ago..I had no idea about him,I had just heard his name..
I think Yngwie done a lot of listening to Uli and Late 70s/80s players done a lot of listening to Schenker..
I like players that still have traces of the Blues in their playing but do their own thing and break new ground..
I think Schenker deserves more recognition for that ,mixing the Blues and Classical ideas..
Blackmore done that too,no slouch of a player either..
Blackmore being British I feel automatically gets more recognition..
I bet there are lots more German and indeed European players from that era that are Jaw Droppingly good that don't get anywhere near the recognition they deserve..
It is also pretty clear Schenker must have been a huge element of UFO's change in direction..
Although I must admit I do like their psychedelic Era stuff with Mick Bolton too..
I have a compilation of that era stuff and love it..
It is very different from the Schenker era stuff though..

Linton is back singing cover versions in Pubs and Clubs to keep alive..
I think he really deserves more than that..
Especially because as a personality he is such a generous caring and giving guy,also a creative one..
Being honest,,there only is one Dan McCafferty,he has a very distinctive singing voice and is irreplaceable..
Guys like Doogie White and Linton really do deserve better though,
they have their own thing going on too..
Dan is a legend and a very nice guy..
Linton went on to work with Manny Charlton too..
Manny is apparently a great guy,
but again,Linton had to sing clubs doing other people's material to make ends meet..
Linton speaks highly of Billy Rankin and Zal Cleminson too..
Sensational Alex Harvey Band,great and very different band..
I remember seeing Zal as a kid in his green and yellow get up and thinking,WTF..
A lot of cool ,different and creative stuff going on back then..
I own most of the SAHB stuff..
Now they were a bunch of Bad Asses.. :D :D
Yes, lots of great musicians that go unnoticed!
For me, Schenker is one of the greatests guitar players of all time.
I absoultely love his music.
That psychedelic early Scorpions album called Lonsome Crow is very experimental, pure, excellent.
I consider that album like the mirror of UFO with Bolton.
I think by the time Schenker got into UFO, the psychedelic stuff was over.
Maybe you have the UFO album compilation called "The Decca Years".

On the other hand, Scorpions "Fly to the Rainbow" is for me a remarkable album and Schenker contributed no little to it.
If you listen to that album, the drummer Hans Jurgen Rosenthal is the very soul of that album. Brilliant drummer! And coupled with Uli Jon Roth and that album is just fantastic. In my opinion thats the very best Scorpions album.

I remember when I first listened to UFO I was stunned, I was like "wow, that's professional rock, this is serious stuff".
I was given a cassette tape Headstone The Best of UFO and I played it again and again. I was like five years old. Some songs are with Schenker and some with Paul Chapman, another great guitar player by the way.
For me there is a clear UFO style, sound, mark, I don't know how to call it, but after so many years my very first impression remains: "professional", "serious" rock. Maybe that makes no sense but such are the words that come to my mind.
In a similar way, Schenker has a very characteristic style.

Yes, Doogie sang with Rainbow too. A great voice. He deserves more!

Blackmore, yes, but he is far more famous. I think nearly anyone knows Blackmore. A great guitar player. Is it in part because he is British? Maybe, that helps. I guess Deep Purple has had a music style close to the general taste while on the other hand, UFO, early Scorpions, Uli Jon Roth and Schenker are a bit more kind of niche.

Uli Jon Roth, another great guitar player, for sure (he is the lead guitar in Fly to the Rainbow). He has toured with Schenker. Actually the gig I attended was called somewhat like a scorps reunion but the old early Scorpions because they brought Francis Bucholz on the bass and Herman Rarebell on the drums. I would like to see Rosenthal on the drums some day but I guess thats just a fantasy, thats impossible.

Uli with Electric Sun is also kind of rare to find. Ive seen Electric Sun vinyl on ebay or amazon very expensive.

There is an Yngwie Malmsteen CD called "Inspiration". He dedicates it to Hendrix, Blackmore and Uli Jon Roth. Yngwie plays Sails of Charon on that album.
Yngwie is brilliant as well. I attended a Malmsteen gig, he is a showman, he is always giving a show just like Hendrix.

If I remember well, Schenker says he was inspired by Wishbone Ash and yes, after listening to Wishbone Ash you can track that melodic guitar solos, in the case of Wishbone Ash, twin guitars. I bet Iron Maiden has also been inspired by Wishbone Ash because I can listen twin melodic guitar solos in Iron Maiden.

Schenker, Uli, Doogie, Linton are just a handful of musicians that deserve a lot more recognition.
Wishbone Ash Argus is in my top Albums ever..
I like it more than Zep and Hendrix etc..
I still like Zep,Hendrix,Purple,Sabbath,Peter Green etc..
I like a lot of different Eras and types of music too..
I had an Electric Sun album,it was too polished for me..
I preferred Uli in The Scorpions,it has more Balls..
I didn't know about The Yngwie album,
Yngwie is an incredible technician,his playing is unbelievable..
When it comes to his songs with vocals etc though..
It's not my thing..
Steve Harris Iron Maiden is a big Early Wishbone Ash fan..
Parts of the first Album are very Wishbone Ash sounding,Strange World is one example..
A big reason why I got to like early Maiden..

The Album by UFO I have is this one..
https://www.discogs.com/UFO-CMon-Everyb ... se/2634275

So many underrated Musicians..

Andrew Latimer,I love those first 4 Camel Albums..

Steve Hillage. Khan,Gong,Solo,so young at the time too..

Bill Nelson , Be Bop Deluxe.

Randy California , On Spirit 12 Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus.

Ted Turner and Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash,of course.lol..

Some of the more Classic Rock era guitar players there..

XJ99
United States of America

Post by XJ99 » 30 Jul 2019 23:04

Interesting!

I like to go on a bike ride.

https://i.postimg.cc/bwjpHrZT/5-B831-B2 ... BE5375.jpg

Dutchy

Post by Dutchy » 15 Oct 2019 18:39

A wee update on the motorcycle front....

A 1982 VF400F came on my path; it needed some serious maintenance and some spit and polish. Rode her for a month and sold her on...

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... e895e2.jpg

Music link is that I was a little bit "off road" to take some nice pictures of the heather in bloom.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... ff58d9.jpg

All of a sudden I could swear I heard the intro of Billy Joel's "Goodnight Saigon" :D

Aye!

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... 469124.jpg

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... 1f1887.jpg

Is he checking with command if it is ok to take out that journalist???
(nah this Apache is operated by the Dutch Royal Airforce; I will not show up on wikileaks....)
https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... 35441a.jpg

So with the VF400F gone, I picked up another bike last week :lol:

Anyone here born in 1955??

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... 46987.jpeg

Dutchy

Post by Dutchy » 15 Oct 2019 18:40

XJ99 wrote:
30 Jul 2019 23:04
Interesting!

I like to go on a bike ride.

https://i.postimg.cc/bwjpHrZT/5-B831-B2 ... BE5375.jpg