It should have been a hit!!

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: It should have been a hit!!

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jul 2019 11:00

Back to the Human League, I discovered this one on the b-side of "Human" and thought it had a great message and deserved more airplay...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jul 2019 11:06

And then, there is the 1982 solo album of Frida from ABBA...While "Something's Going On" was rocking the charts, this mellow tune completely missed them...

Phil Collins co-produced the album, so I don't see why it wasn't a hit...Another song from the album, "Threnody", was co-written by a young Per Gessle, who you would know from his later years in Roxette...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jul 2019 11:08

And speaking of Roxette, I've always loved this b-side, but I guess it wasn't uptempo enough for the charts...

I'll have more to add to this thread in time, but I thought I'd share a few favorites with you now...If you guys have any thoughts or your own "surprises" to share, feel free to add/mention them here...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 13:43

OK, how about another round? :-k

This time, I'm spotlighting a singer that should have had a greater mark on the charts, other than her #15 disco smash, "Come To Me"...This one from France Joli shouldn't have only hit just in France, but deserved to be blasted on radio the world over! =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 13:51

Another favorite singer of mine who was once "lost in France" is the inimitable Bonnie Tyler...While everyone was turning around and having a total eclipse of the heart, I somehow wish that her cover of this CCR classic would have made a dent on the charts and again, not only in France, where it reached #25 and did nothing here...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 13:59

Going back to the 70's, I thought I would spotlight a follow-up that virtually got no airplay...The band Looking Glass had a giant hit with "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" that made it to #1 in many countries..."Jimmy Loves Mary-Anne" was a tepid follow-up from their 2nd album, "Subway Serenade", but I would have loved to hear this mellow groover from the same album...

I found their debut album recently and I liked it so much that I got the follow-up album, as well...Both worth having if you're a fan of good 70's pop! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:09

Speaking of "Mary Anne", here's another one from Detroit's own Marshall Crenshaw that did nothing in 1982, although that debut album is chock full of great moments...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:21

Now, here's one from the 60's...It was featured as #453 on Rich Appel's I.R.S. (It Really Should-Have-Been-A-Hit) list, but I think it should have gone higher...

https://www.thatthingshow.com/i-r-s-list

How does a band who toured with both The Monkees and Jimi Hendrix at one time get such a low reception??? :? Well, I'm giving their 1967 single "Always You" another chance! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:27

Another one from the 60's that I've always liked is this one from Blood, Sweat & Tears' debut album...It was covered by The Arbors, as well, but nothing beats the original! 8) It was their first single, but I guess no one noticed it at the time...

Another one I liked from them only made it to #73 on the Hot 100...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:29

The real debut hit from BS&T was the next one, "You've Made Me So Very Happy", but I wonder if the original version from Brenda Holloway would have made the charts...It's still a very good version! :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:35

Going back to the 80's again, this ballad from Barbra Streisand's "Wet" album deserved to be heard alongside it's more uptempo cousin "No More Tears" from the same album...As Babs proved with "Guilty", "Evergreen" and "The Way We Were", she could turn a ballad into pure gold, so why not this one, too? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:42

Another guy on my radar from the 80's was the great Matthew Wilder...You'll know him from his top hits "Break My Stride" and "The Kid's American", but this one from his second album was a dismal follow-up at #52...Still, the innovative video should have turned it into a smash hit! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:47

By the late 80's and early 90's, many 80's acts were struggling to maintain a chart presence...Madonna could do it..Elton John could do it...Michael Jackson could do it...Sadly, Bananarama was not one of them, but their cover of The Doobies' "Long Train Running" has always been a favorite! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:53

I mentioned the great Paul Evans earlier, who was known for his 50's hit "Seven Little Girls (Sitting In The Back Seat)"...He even wrote Bobby Vinton's big hit "Roses Are Red (My Love)"! He tried a comeback with this in the 70's, but this one didn't seem to ring a bell with anyone!

I guess radio didn't get the message, either... :(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 14:58

I've always been a big Fleetwood Mac fan and have even loved the solo work of all the members...One of them, Christine McVie, had a huge Top 10 hit with 1984's "Got A Hold On Me", but I've also liked this #30 hit from the same self-titled album...