ADC QLM 30 MK III cart

the thin end of the wedge
DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

ADC QLM 30 MK III cart

Post by DasherF » 12 Oct 2018 13:56

I was looking thru my carts/'tables over the weekend...I found I have an ADC QLM 30 MK III . I looked it up and found it was kind of a dj cart. Any more knowledge? And can I retrofit an elliptical stylus on it?

plyscds
United States of America

Re: ADC QLM 30 MK III cart

Post by plyscds » 12 Oct 2018 16:07

You most likely can. In a quick digging around session with my personal first-look sources you might still find ellipticals yet. On the down side I have seen a supply-side lessening of support for ADC cartridges in that anything more exotic than elliptical is getting harder to find.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 14 Oct 2018 00:15

Actually the ADC QLM30mkIII wasn't marketed as a DJ cart.
I think it was meant for changers and older automatic tables with heavier arms.
It must be the the entry level model of the series, with a conical 0.7mil tip.

If you have the original needle in good condition, try it and you will be amazed by its performance.
For such a basic model, it trully sounds great.

The sound can be described as very detailed, with accurate imaging and a wide soundstage.
It's not the most authoritative cartridge out there, but doesn't sound too thin either.
Bass goes quite deep though. It just isn't so abundant like a typical Stanton/Pickering heavy tracker.

Overall, I like it for its refined character. Very respectful for its price.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 23 Oct 2018 01:16

When the QLM came out, there wasn't any such thing as a DJ cartridge - turning a platter backwards to listen to it, as opposed to back cueing for radio, hadn't been invented (though by the time the mark III came out, DJing may have started). It was just a nice cartridge suitable for lower end turntables like the BSR and Garrard changers that were common at the time. It can be fitted with more ambitious styli (the body is essentially that of the top of the line XLM, even if inductance may (or may not) be different, which will have an effect on the high end), but don't discount conicals, which can sound very pleasing.

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 23 Oct 2018 01:45

Thanks, nat! I appreciate your input! I do get that "coneys" ride a bit higher in the groove, they don't get down deep to pick up all the sound...they also don't pick up all the noise from dirt (I DO clean my records) in the groove...that's a plus! They're great for testing the new, used record, NOT picking up all the noise. I just wanted to hear it at it's full potential. It does sound good as is, right now.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 24 Oct 2018 02:00

Where a stylus rides in the groove doesn't affect whether they 'pick up all the sound' - deeper in the groove is the same information. It's possible that a smaller stylus would have less mass and allow faster acceleration, but tip mass isn't just size related - the way the stylus is mounted matters (and oddly, bonded tips can have lower mass than nude mounts because of the density of diamond) as does the length, diameter, and material of the cantilever. Also, keep in mind that moving magnets are velocity sensing, and the larger distances between groove sides farther up the groove must mean larger accelerations, which may account for the punchy sound attributed to cartridges with big styli - Deccas, early cartridges of all sorts, and conicals. Certainly much the same result can be achieved with more sophisticated styli, amplification and so on, but it requires some effort and usually a lot of cash. And certainly there are those who don't hear punchy, but instead hear gaudy, hifi, larger than life, etc. and prefer more subtle equipment.

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 24 Oct 2018 03:22

Nat..."And certainly there are those who don't hear punchy, but instead hear gaudy, hifi, larger than life, etc. and prefer more subtle equipment."
Prefer more subtle equipment? Nah-uh, thanks! I love my music big, just FYI. (I'm not being disrespectful, just stating fact, my friend...) I appreciate your explanation on the physics of styli. Lots to understand...

Pinkmagnolia921
United States of America

Post by Pinkmagnolia921 » 11 Jul 2019 23:55

As this is yet a relatively new post I have yet again a question about tracking force for this cartridge. I purchased it, mounted on a nice vintage Technics Headshell, on the auction site for $25 plus shipping;
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2686675417
I just purchased an OEM, made in USA, replacement stylus for $10. In looking at some previous posts it retailed for approximately $90 back in the day; https://www.adelcom.net/ADCCart1.htm
I purchased it because all of my records are vintage, mostly from thrift stores, so I thought I'd give a Conical Stylus a try to see how it does with these older records.

My TT is a JVC QL-7, which I believe it a Medium Mass Tonearm. Not to complicate things, but I also picked up an ADC QLM 34 MKIII cart with stylus for $20, just because...

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 12 Jul 2019 05:23

Attachments
ADC_Astatic_nmr_series-page-001.jpg
(250.44 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

Pinkmagnolia921
United States of America

Post by Pinkmagnolia921 » 12 Jul 2019 19:09

Collux, thanks for the great chart! So, if the ADC QLM 30 tracks at 3-5 grams, is it recommended to to use it closer to the low end (3) or the high end (5)? It seems that most folks don't recommend the low end, in general, as it may damage your record. Further assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 12 Jul 2019 20:28

Further detail on QLMs.

Specification tables found here:
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 9&t=110435

How to identify ADC carts
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... pg#p935182

Technical specifications
http://audiotools.com/oldcart.html
Last edited by Collux on 12 Jul 2019 20:45, edited 2 times in total.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 12 Jul 2019 20:39

Pinkmagnolia921 wrote:
12 Jul 2019 19:09
It seems that most folks don't recommend the low end in general, as it may damage your record.
That view is probably more applicable to some of the very light tracking ranges, back in the day when 0.75-1.5g or less, was seen as cutting edge.

You should be fine depending on styli used, with the QLM30 MkII & IIIs in the range 3-5g.
(MkI 1-2g.)

If mis-tracking occurs, increase the tracking weight and/or look at possible issues with your tonearm.
- alignment etc.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 13 Jul 2019 02:02

nat wrote:
23 Oct 2018 01:16
When the QLM came out, there wasn't any such thing as a DJ cartridge - turning a platter backwards to listen to it, as opposed to back cueing for radio, hadn't been invented (though by the time the mark III came out, DJing may have started). It was just a nice cartridge suitable for lower end turntables like the BSR and Garrard changers that were common at the time. It can be fitted with more ambitious styli (the body is essentially that of the top of the line XLM, even if inductance may (or may not) be different, which will have an effect on the high end), but don't discount conicals, which can sound very pleasing.
There were such things as broadcast cartridges, and the Shure M 44 line, the SC 35 C line, and Stanton's 500, 600, and 680/681 line were in widespread use by AM/FM Radio stations, nightclubs, discos, and even home use. The ADC QLM line would have done fine for most AM/FM station use, and by discos and nightclubs and was plenty high performance, and rugged enough, and could be backcued carefully. DJ back then was not co opted by HipHop, Rap, Scratch, and similar movements. And reasonably high performance demanded. Not all DJ is bad or sounds bad.

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 13 Jul 2019 03:44

I'd heard in some thread, somewhere (may not have been an old VE write), that it was used for DJing. I wasn't sure if it was broadcast, as you said, Kent, or for clubs of the time...good to hear from you. I currently have mine residing in the Technics 1510, set to 2g (I went by the carts I'd been ending up with) and it sounds good, no distortion, tracks well...is this too low, then?

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 13 Jul 2019 23:21

Look at the actual specs.
If it has an original stylus, use it within the specified range.

My advice is to use it a bit higher than the lowest point.
For example: if the range is 3 to 5 grams, then set it @3.5 grams or higher to be sure.