Technics SL-QL5 and rubbing sound......

snap, crackle and pop
red71rum

Technics SL-QL5 and rubbing sound......

Post by red71rum » 05 Jul 2019 21:49

I recently came into possession of a SL-QL5 linear tracker. The tonearm seems to move well, cueing and so on. It has a Shure ME99 cart. But, I can hear a slight rubbing sound(I am at work and have no record to try). I saw that there is a glob of grease on the rail while the arm is moving, which might be causing that? Also, is it normal to have lots of oil just sitting on the platter? I lifted the rubber mat off the platter and there was oil all over. I removed the back off the table and the electronics are super clean, no dust to speak of.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-QL5 and rubbing sound......

Post by musicmn » 05 Jul 2019 22:15

Hi, first the grease is needed to lubricate the rail so the tonearm travels smoothly. Wipe as much of the old grease off the rail as possible with a rag and alcohol. Then lubricate it lightly with a grease like Super Lube. There is also a small motor that moves the tonearm that has a worm gear on it, that and associated parts also need to cleaned and lubricated. You will also find a small belt used to help move the tonearm that should be replaced. New ones are available on ebay from various vendors. The oil you found under the mat is from the mat itself. The mat is just breaking down from age, clean the platter with a rag and alcohol and you can clean the mat the same way or just replace it. As far as the rubbing do the light service I mentioned here and see if it still there.

red71rum

Post by red71rum » 06 Jul 2019 04:54

musicmn wrote:
05 Jul 2019 22:15
Hi, first the grease is needed to lubricate the rail so the tonearm travels smoothly. Wipe as much of the old grease off the rail as possible with a rag and alcohol. Then lubricate it lightly with a grease like Super Lube. There is also a small motor that moves the tonearm that has a worm gear on it, that and associated parts also need to cleaned and lubricated. You will also find a small belt used to help move the tonearm that should be replaced. New ones are available on ebay from various vendors. The oil you found under the mat is from the mat itself. The mat is just breaking down from age, clean the platter with a rag and alcohol and you can clean the mat the same way or just replace it. As far as the rubbing do the light service I mentioned here and see if it still there.
I actually cleaned off some of the grease, cleaned the rca jacks, and tried it again. I also cleaned off the mat decay/grease. It actually worked...but then I moved it to my turntable area and now I hear the rubbing, I think it might be coming from the platter possibly. Is there anything underneath the platter that maybe could cause this? I also noticed the arm travels towards the end of the record now instead when I hit start. Earlier it was working at the beginning of the record.

red71rum

Post by red71rum » 06 Jul 2019 04:59

It actually looks like it is moving to the 45 position, even when I move it from auto to 33. When I spin the platter with the power off, I hear a clicking sound from the platter if that means anything. I see that is the record sensor when nothing is depressing it..

red71rum

Post by red71rum » 06 Jul 2019 12:14

red71rum wrote:
06 Jul 2019 04:59
It actually looks like it is moving to the 45 position, even when I move it from auto to 33. When I spin the platter with the power off, I hear a clicking sound from the platter if that means anything. I see that is the record sensor when nothing is depressing it..
I disassembled the drive section to look at the wheel mechanism last night, to see where the rubbing sound was coming from, looked at the gears and there was a pink residue there, here is a picture(I apologize for the bad lighting, did not use my macro lens):
250F54C9-9896-4E5A-8E06-C680FE9DEFF6.jpeg
Gears
(426.25 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

33audio

Post by 33audio » 07 Jul 2019 10:24

Hi, A bit of pessimism here. I had 2 of them. Both were scrapped to sell the motors.

Good luck setting the tracking force, but it is possible.

They are stinkers IMHO. SL-Q2 is much more practical.

I think mine was an SL-Q5.

I recall the scraping sound. Years ago from memory here.

There is a plastic cover that goes over the motor etc. It appears to be missing in yours.

If you do have the cover, it is supposed to snap into place. The little clips on mine were

not in good shape. Anyhow, I recall the scraping coming from the cover.

It was around that part of the assembly above the platter somewhere (years ago).

I would get it to stop, but it would start again. Not much clearance.

I also recall a problem with some sort of little arm that detects the record size, near the center post.

The plastic rivits for the cover also came lose. Special order, too much money.

Hard to work on with the cover closed. Seems like I remember it having to do with
the slightest record warp.

If you have the time and patience........................Good luck with it, Mark

red71rum

Post by red71rum » 08 Jul 2019 13:44

33audio wrote:
07 Jul 2019 10:24
Hi, A bit of pessimism here. I had 2 of them. Both were scrapped to sell the motors.

Good luck setting the tracking force, but it is possible.

They are stinkers IMHO. SL-Q2 is much more practical.

I think mine was an SL-Q5.

I recall the scraping sound. Years ago from memory here.

There is a plastic cover that goes over the motor etc. It appears to be missing in yours.

If you do have the cover, it is supposed to snap into place. The little clips on mine were

not in good shape. Anyhow, I recall the scraping coming from the cover.

It was around that part of the assembly above the platter somewhere (years ago).

I would get it to stop, but it would start again. Not much clearance.

I also recall a problem with some sort of little arm that detects the record size, near the center post.

The plastic rivits for the cover also came lose. Special order, too much money.

Hard to work on with the cover closed. Seems like I remember it having to do with
the slightest record warp.

If you have the time and patience........................Good luck with it, Mark
I actually had taken the cover off just to show the inside, I replaced the cover. I spent over 2 hours on it Saturday night, which I think was time wasted unfortunately. I agree it is overly complicated, and maybe I should appreciate my Sansui SR-717 manual table.

Stvn6
United States of America

Post by Stvn6 » 08 Jul 2019 16:17

I had a similar problem with a similar technics deck. Some of the things you mention caused unwanted friction and the introduction of mechanical noise, in repair projects I've done. Hear me out:

1) Remove all of that pink stuff...every...single...bit of it. Alcohol, cotton swabs, and even rags in the beginning work well. Get it all out of there.

2) Remove any grease that was added to the rail. That part of the mechanism shouldn't be lubricated. Instead, a dry compound could be applied, but actually shouldn't be necessary on these (think of that powder material..White Lightening, I think?) that they use on bike chains.

3) Re-grease the nylon gears with SuperLube- it's cheap, easy to apply, and safe on plastics.

Another note: the RGS0008 mat fits these platters pretty well. If you can score an authentic one (and not one of the many counterfeits out there), they are really easy to cut through with a razor blade for the 45 and detector holes.

I hope this helps. That table can sound pretty nice, and I think they're worth the bit of care to get them back up and running. Once you do that, you shouldn't have to touch the innards again.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 08 Jul 2019 16:20

Make sure to check the arm/lever in the red circle.
SLQL5.jpeg
(208.15 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
It flips inwards to feel for a larger record in order to determine the correct needle sit-down location. Sounds like it *thinks* you have a smaller disc on, so it is going further towards the center to drop. The sensor operates regardless of speed setting (33.3, 45), but purely looks for record size. I hope that makes sense.

That little lever/arm assembly works off a spring that may be broken, missing, or just gummed-up. So it may be rubbing the disc when the cover is down?

red71rum

Post by red71rum » 09 Jul 2019 00:27

jdjohn wrote:
08 Jul 2019 16:20
Make sure to check the arm/lever in the red circle.
SLQL5.jpeg
It flips inwards to feel for a larger record in order to determine the correct needle sit-down location. Sounds like it *thinks* you have a smaller disc on, so it is going further towards the center to drop. The sensor operates regardless of speed setting (33.3, 45), but purely looks for record size. I hope that makes sense.

That little lever/arm assembly works off a spring that may be broken, missing, or just gummed-up. So it may be rubbing the disc when the cover is down?
I checked that sensor/switch, it springs back and is not broken, totally intact. I appreciate the info though. This machine is overly complicated with small annoying gears and belts :D

red71rum

Post by red71rum » 12 Jul 2019 03:17

For some reason this posted again, weird.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 12 Jul 2019 05:11

Most of the pertinent questions have been answered already, but I have a couple more to add. The scuffing noise you hear can be a simple matter of adding a few drops of quality light machine oil to the center spindle. The clicking noise you mentioned is most likely caused by the small lever that passes up through the platter mat. The mat and an album must be on the platter for everything to function correctly. I am a fan of linear turntables myself, and when properly maintained (a little lubricant and a belt that is easy to obtain and replace) they are quite reliable, and play very nicely indeed. Made to specifically simplify the record playing process, tinkerers and fudgers often find fault with them, but many happy owners would laud their quality build and performance. One destination, many paths. Give it a chance...it is worth owning. :roll:

red71rum

Post by red71rum » 12 Jul 2019 17:06

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
12 Jul 2019 05:11
Most of the pertinent questions have been answered already, but I have a couple more to add. The scuffing noise you hear can be a simple matter of adding a few drops of quality light machine oil to the center spindle. The clicking noise you mentioned is most likely caused by the small lever that passes up through the platter mat. The mat and an album must be on the platter for everything to function correctly. I am a fan of linear turntables myself, and when properly maintained (a little lubricant and a belt that is easy to obtain and replace) they are quite reliable, and play very nicely indeed. Made to specifically simplify the record playing process, tinkerers and fudgers often find fault with them, but many happy owners would laud their quality build and performance. One destination, many paths. Give it a chance...it is worth owning. :roll:
You are correct, as I found when working on it, the clicking when the platter spins was because a record is not on the mat. The platter does spin freely, that is not where the scuffing sound is coming from, but rather the tonearm mechanism. Cleaned off the off grease\oil from it, and it sounded worse: ) Also like I said before it was defaulting to the 45 size.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 12 Jul 2019 18:20

Without a record on the platter, it probably defaults to the smaller disk size since that lever I mentioned tries to sense the bigger size, and if it doesn't feel it, it assumes smaller size.

With the tonearm noise, a couple more things to investigate:
- Make sure the pulley rope isn't rubbing against anything along its path.
- The worm gear, round gear, or motor may be making noise.
- The tonearm assembly slides in a little trough of sorts, like a sled. That trough might need to be cleaned. It is a pain taking everything apart to get there, though.

Regarding the lube on the rail and that trough, a dry lube is sufficient. The spray-on PFTE lubes work well for this (and other turntable parts). Of course a TOTAL cleaning of old lube/grease has to be done first. IIRC, these old Technics used that nasty black/graphite grease.

red71rum

Post by red71rum » 12 Jul 2019 19:14

jdjohn wrote:
12 Jul 2019 18:20
Without a record on the platter, it probably defaults to the smaller disk size since that lever I mentioned tries to sense the bigger size, and if it doesn't feel it, it assumes smaller size.

With the tonearm noise, a couple more things to investigate:
- Make sure the pulley rope isn't rubbing against anything along its path.
- The worm gear, round gear, or motor may be making noise.
- The tonearm assembly slides in a little trough of sorts, like a sled. That trough might need to be cleaned. It is a pain taking everything apart to get there, though.

Regarding the lube on the rail and that trough, a dry lube is sufficient. The spray-on PFTE lubes work well for this (and other turntable parts). Of course a TOTAL cleaning of old lube/grease has to be done first. IIRC, these old Technics used that nasty black/graphite grease.
It defaults to 45 when a record is on it though. I took apart the cover where the worm wheel was(pic in higher post in this thread and it was a real b'stard to reattach that cover, what a pain in the a$$. The guy who owns this was going to sell it to me but then realized what a mess it was and let me play with it. I currently have it here at the office with me.