STEREO Light on Marantz 2285

snap, crackle and pop
jalexquijano

STEREO Light on Marantz 2285

Post by jalexquijano » 13 Mar 2015 18:14

Recently swapped all the lamps of my Marantz 2285 Receiver. The only light that does not turn on is the one that shows as "STEREO". I checked the bulb and does not looked as burned. Does anyone know how to actívate this light? Do i need to set it up in certain mode for it to light on? I am only using it in the FM and Phono mode.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: STEREO Light on Marantz 2285

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 Mar 2015 18:22

Hi JalexQuijano,

I think that light has meaning only in FM radio. If a station is broadcasting in stereo the lamp should illuminate. Do FM programs appear to be stereo? If not your stereo decoder may have failed.

Phil
jalexquijano wrote:Recently swapped all the lamps of my Marantz 2285 Receiver. The only light that does not turn on is the one that shows as "STEREO". I checked the bulb and does not looked as burned. Does anyone know how to actívate this light? Do i need to set it up in certain mode for it to light on? I am only using it in the FM and Phono mode.

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 13 Mar 2015 22:17

Hi, The bulb....if it is like my 2265 and 2250 lights up both when a stereo station is found on the FM and whenever the unit is not set for mono (by pushing in that selector button) in anything else. My guess is the bulb has died.

All that said, this post ought to be in the a different section....with the amps and such.

jalexquijano

Post by jalexquijano » 13 Mar 2015 23:28

Where can i purchase the bulb? If it were the decoder how do i fix it?

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 14 Mar 2015 01:33

You will need to determine first if it a bi-pin style that looks a bit like a flashlight bulb with two leads coming out of the end or the "fuse" style that looks a lot like an automotive fuse. Then go on the web and search for the type needed. The bi-pin ones are soldered in place, the fuse ones just snap in. Be sure not to get one with a higher current rating than the one you replace (it ought to have a number or value on it). If you do it will tend to melt the plastic nearby. There are LED replacements for most of the bulbs and you may consider that option as well. Full bulb kits are also available on the web.

If the decoder is bad then unless you have some high tech test and alignment gear you will need to take it to a repair shop to be fixed. The decoders are not noted to be a problem area in these receivers. It may be that some of the switches need cleaning and are causing issues as well. This is common on receivers that have not been used regularly.

BTW these are rather nice receivers and hold up very well. Mine are from the late 60s-early 70'S and still going strong. The only serious issues seem to be the power switches fail and the speaker muting relays get cruddy and need to be cleaned every decade or so.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 14 Mar 2015 15:56

On a sidenote, I think a nice thing to have for diagnosing FM tuners and tuner sections is one of these little FM transmitters like for example the Belkin Tunecast II - as one can easily connect these thingies to a computer line-/headphone-out and then use for an example an audio editor with signal generation funtions like Audacity to transmit test tones...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

jalexquijano

Post by jalexquijano » 11 Jul 2019 18:13

Who sells these bi lamp for the Stereo indicator of the Marantz 2285 receiver? I read its 8v lamp. Please guide me.

jalexquijano

Post by jalexquijano » 11 Jul 2019 18:15

I saw this kit in Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Lamp-Ki ... B01FV2CLWG

I already replaced all the other leds and they all work. I am just interested in this stereo lamp

Shall i order it?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 11 Jul 2019 20:40

Wow...a resurrection after 4 years :) Are you certain that the FM stereo functionality is working? If it's not, the light won't even attempt to come on. Weak FM stations will only come through in mono, so no light. A strong FM station, and/or using a decent antenna, should come through in stereo, and you should be able to 'hear' the change once it locks in. You should be able to tell by the tuning strength meter (I'm guessing this receiver has one) as to how strong the signal is, and hear the channel separation when the meter's needle goes into the strong zone.

Again, that light is only for FM stereo playback. FM stereo transmitters add a coded MDX signal along with the actual broadcast, and the receiver/tuner will decode the MDX signal in order to achieve true stereo playback. If the receiver/tuner's MDX decoder is not working (or out of alignment), you'll never hear true stereo, nor will the light illuminate.

jalexquijano

Post by jalexquijano » 12 Jul 2019 05:32

How do i test the decoder to see if it works or not?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 13 Jul 2019 02:56

You can listen by ear when tuning into a station. It will be mono with a rough tuning, and then go into stereo mode when it locks in strong. You should be able to hear the difference. If it goes into stereo, then the encoder is working.

The other test you can do is connect multi-meter leads to the contact points and see if you get a reading when tuned into a station. That will tell you if juice is going to the bulb.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Jul 2019 11:19

Also keep in mind that not all FM stations broadcast in stereo. The light won't come on if tuned to a mono only station.

DL110luvr
United States of America

Post by DL110luvr » 14 Jul 2019 09:00

Tinkaroo wrote:
13 Jul 2019 11:19
Also keep in mind that not all FM stations broadcast in stereo. The light won't come on if tuned to a mono only station.
And there seem to be more and more of these showing up.....even music stations in larger metro areas...
The idea is: As a rule, mono transmission is "quieter" than stereo -- so turning OFF the 19 KHz pilot often adds up to several MILES to a station's coverage area (depending on terrain and, of course, transmitter power.....).
The mindset is that today's listener is much less concerned about stereo vs. mono -- and more interested in aesthetic content.