Replacing the phono and earth cables on my turntable with sockets

snap, crackle and pop
swordheart
England

Replacing the phono and earth cables on my turntable with sockets

Post by swordheart » 10 Jul 2019 12:13

Hello my first post here so please go easy on me :D my lack of knowledge of the correct terms to use will I'm sure improve with time :D I have had a couple of turntables in the past and have always had problems with the phono cable but instead of trying to repair them i sold them as spares repair on ebay, I am getting a cheap Pioneer PL-620 soon and if its an easy job would like to replace the cabled phono and earth with sockets on the turntable has anyone done this mod ??? and if so is it easy ???
Regards Phil

Monkey_Relish
Australia

Re: Replacing the phono and earth cables on my turntable with sockets

Post by Monkey_Relish » 10 Jul 2019 12:45

First of all, can you solder ?

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 10 Jul 2019 14:04

Hi and welcome to VE,
You may be getting ahead of youself.
See if the new PL 620 has problems first.

Unfortunately there is no service manual in the Library above^^^
to see if there is room in the back of the base for RCA sockets but it shouldn't be too difficult to solder in a fresh pair of RCA's otherwise.

You could even solder in the RCA sockets inside the base rather than drilling holes in the back of it, if you needed to.

Good luck!

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 10 Jul 2019 14:48

You need to be fairly handy with tools. Should be relatively simple, if you have soldering skills. If not, this is easily learned. This is an inexpensive project, and you'll pat yourself on the back when you're done.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 11 Jul 2019 04:28

Hi Phil, welcome to VE.

I agree with the above comments. It's not a difficult job to insert phono rca sockets onto a turntable, and within the means for someone with basic skills.

However, I wouldn't do it immediately. If the tonearm leads work well, I would keep them. If it's not broken, don't fix it! If you do discard the phono cable and insert rca sockets, you can't use any rca interconnect. Phono interconnect require low capacitance cables, normal cables will sound bad. Phono interconnects are more difficult to come by and will cost much more than standard cables.

If the original phono cables have problems, I would tend to try to fix the fault, or replace them with another phono cable, and not bother with the rca sockets.

The earth cable is a different matter. This does not carry audio signals. There will be no problem replacing it with any insulted wire, the quality does not matter. If you want to install a binding post (socket) on the back of your turntable for this lead, go ahead!

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 11 Jul 2019 04:35

If you install rca sockets, be sure to check for clearance when opening the dust cover. If to high up or the RCAs protrude a bit the cover may hit the socket.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 11 Jul 2019 09:25

Of course you can do it but I don't understand the need for replacing a phono cable by rca sockets and a cable. IMO the ideal way to connect a turntable to a preamp is one single wire (4 in fact) direct from the cartridge pins to the preamp input sockets. Minimizing the contacts and the points of possible corrosion. In most case you already have many contacts in this path : between the cart and the headshell wires, then the headshell to the arm, then the arm wires to the phono cable, then the phono cable to the preamp. So if you choose to add some rca sockets to the turntable, you have to make perfect soldering and taking care of insulation from electric perturbations.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 11 Jul 2019 12:56

Often replacing cable with RCA sockets is considered as upgrade. People use fancy golden elements and it opens up the avenue for "HiFi CABLES".
Usually the original cable is pretty good quality - not as thick with rubber but if you count the wires in one lead there would not be much cost cutting on copper there. Also the braid is done properly. If it has DIN socket and your Phono needs RCA then I would put RCA plugs on the existing cable.
Having said that I actually put new cables on most of my TTs. I got high quality 5m long pro audio(Phono) cable some time ago with damaged RCA plugs and have been cutting it 80cm long junks since.
The problem with RCS sockets is that female ones need to be well made and the market is saturated with cheaply made ones. They may look really fancy with yellow chrome(not gold even if it claims so) plated contacts and bunch of washers but the inner contact area is just a flimsy tube.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 11 Jul 2019 14:15

If I had to put RCA sockets on a turntable, I should use this :
http://www.neutrik.co.uk/neutrik/produc ... connectors
(not affiliated)

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 11 Jul 2019 14:45

I have done this three times. Two were realistic turntables and one an entry level thorens. The hard wired cables that came with them were about like the patch cords you can get in Walmart. I replace them with well made interconnects. All three times I got a cleaner sound and fuller bass. It was well worth the effort. It didn't cost much since I already had the interconnects.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 11 Jul 2019 15:12

I would leave it alone.

swordheart
England

Post by swordheart » 11 Jul 2019 15:30

Thanks for all the opinions they have definitely given me something to think about, my reason for doing it because on the 2 turntables I had before the Phono wires became damaged where it entered the turntable ( yes I was constantly moving it to dust underneath ) so fixing it would have meant replacing the whole cable as there wouldn't be enough length on it to put RCA sockets to it. I am handy with a soldering iron so that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the link to the RCA sockets they do look good quality. I'll have a look inside the turntable to see if it would be an easy fix and am now at 60/40 in favour of doing it, if I do I'll put a how I did it post with pics on here if anyone is interested 😊
Phil

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 12 Jul 2019 17:38

Hi Swordheart,

I am of the school of " If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it". Phono cables are typically low capacitance to avoid building up excessive load capacitance on your phono cartridge. Using general purpose audio interconnect cables can easily get that capacitance to high. If you have reason to do this mod be mindful of load cap for your cartridge. You should be able to find that number in the specs of your cartridge. Add the cable capacitance to your phono stage input C and compare.

Here is my little essay on turntable "grounding" and wiring:

There are two methods of “grounding” turntables of which I am familiar.
The first and most common is to keep the audio cables for each channel isolated from the arm and turntable chassis. The arm is electrically connected to the turntable chassis and a “ground” wire is connected from the turntable chassis to the phono stage chassis.
The alternate method is to connect the signal return (cable shield) of one channel, usually left, to the arm and turntable chassis. The signal return then serves as the “ground” wire connecting the turntable chassis to the phono stage chassis.
Either method above works, but to do both is inviting a ground loop. Read hum.

Phil

swordheart wrote:
11 Jul 2019 15:30
Thanks for all the opinions they have definitely given me something to think about, my reason for doing it because on the 2 turntables I had before the Phono wires became damaged where it entered the turntable ( yes I was constantly moving it to dust underneath ) so fixing it would have meant replacing the whole cable as there wouldn't be enough length on it to put RCA sockets to it. I am handy with a soldering iron so that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the link to the RCA sockets they do look good quality. I'll have a look inside the turntable to see if it would be an easy fix and am now at 60/40 in favour of doing it, if I do I'll put a how I did it post with pics on here if anyone is interested 😊
Phil

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 12 Jul 2019 19:32

I would only replace the RCA plugs...and only if needed because the old one are corroded, etc.
Wires do no wear out and they sould be fine.

As far as the earth/ground...basically, if you hear no "hum" it's fine as it is .

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 12 Jul 2019 19:56

Right. It either hums, or it doesn't. No in between.