Rip 'em, then clean 'em?

the mix tape forum
Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Rip 'em, then clean 'em?

Post by Sunwire » 29 Jun 2019 00:17

He doesn't mention anything about using EAC and says he can't rip to FLAC, so I think it's a good assumption he's not using EAC.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 29 Jun 2019 00:28

Perhaps we should try to convince him to use EAC regardless of what he converts to. If he can't do FLAC then rip to WAV. They play on any and everything.

Geof777

Post by Geof777 » 05 Jul 2019 13:07

Haha It's all so tricky!!
That is not to say my setup and life is ideal though!
So I have 2 Stereo's The Smaller being in one room but has the Turntable on it
The Larger in our back room/main Lounge but only has a DAB reciever and CD player - (plus the speakers of course)
I have a link FROM the bigger to the smaller as the DAB on the smaller packed up.
So the only way to hear my records on the bigger is to have recorded them! No there is no where in there to stick the turntable and its more than my marriage is worth to change it all around!
Its nice to have some of my Records on CD and also on MP3 for in car listening.
CD-RW's do sometimes get old after many re uses - but they are cheap and replaceable.
When recording (real time) its easier to use a CD-RW in case of errors or mistakes - easily corrected
But once completed I copy them to CD-R for permanent storage - using the PC

Geof777

Post by Geof777 » 05 Jul 2019 13:09

Sunwire wrote:
29 Jun 2019 00:17
He doesn't mention anything about using EAC and says he can't rip to FLAC, so I think it's a good assumption he's not using EAC.
Sorry I have never heard of EAC - I am somewhat stuck in the past and get frustrated trying to work new technology
Also I imaging I would have to somehow get a connection at Line level to the PC from the Turntable which ain't gonna happen.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 06 Jul 2019 22:59

EAC is not restricted to ripping LP's. It can be used for ripping all input signals. I use it for CD's and LP's.

You can get an ADC (analog to digital converter) for as little as $30 (Behringer UCA-222). It plugs directly into the USB port on your PC. Any line level output from your stereo will do the job.

Try a long lead from the tape out from your receiver/integrated to a UCA-222. Up to 20' should be no problem.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 28 Jul 2019 16:35

I always do that myself. When I do the ripping, I wait until my Thorens TD126 MK III gets up to speed, which can take up to half an hour or more with the platter spinning. I use an older PC with a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy sound card and Adobe Audition 1.5 to rip the records to the computer. My main computer's sound card isn't good enough due to latency problems. I also use an external hard drive that can be plugged into either that computer or my main one through USB.

After the ripping is done with, I use Adobe Audition to remove bad pops as well as any smaller pops that my main declicking software, Click Repair, cannot remove without leaving audible artifacts. Often, I don't get every single click out of there, and change the declicking settings depending on the recording. If a classical recording with no music that would be affected by the pop removal if the sensitivity is set at 50, I put it there. But I use pitch protection and reverse detection if there's brass instruments. For rock, pop and soul albums, I use less declicking sensitivity. Usually 25 or less. I leave the track splitting in Adobe Audition for last. Since I use an early version of Adobe Audition, I cannot save to FLAC format.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 28 Jul 2019 22:24

I use MooO Audio Converter which makes file conversions a cinch, works very fast.

carlmart
Brazil

Post by carlmart » 02 Aug 2019 11:49

But MooO Audio Converter is for MP3 conversions. Why would you want to capture to it, instead of wav?

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 04 Aug 2019 20:08

MooO converts dozens of formats to dozens of formats. I don't MP3 at all. I use it to convert WAV to FLAC, usually.

There are other choices for converters too. I've just found MooO pleasantly simple, fast, and "non-buggy".