The Day The Music Burned

name that tune
Sinsonido
United States of America

Re: The Day The Music Burned

Post by Sinsonido » 30 Jun 2019 03:15

philbrown wrote:
23 Jun 2019 21:37
I know a little about this. Among other things, I worked in the actual room that cut the Sub Pop versions. It was a master lease from Sub Pop so the tapes didn't belong to Uni.
Phil Brown
Sorry for the late reply...just wanted to say thanks for the additional information. The plot thickens....

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 30 Jun 2019 04:49

It's pretty thick. The argument is that Uni had a duty of care and that the artists had an interest even though Uni owned the tapes. The publishers might actually have a better claim.
Phil Brown

Damien Taylor

Post by Damien Taylor » 30 Jun 2019 07:35

These were originally printed in Billboard back in the late 90s. Things were pretty grim even then.

http://www.billholland.net/words/Labels ... oblems.pdf

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Jul 2019 00:18

Damien Taylor wrote:
30 Jun 2019 07:35
These were originally printed in Billboard back in the late 90s. Things were pretty grim even then.

http://www.billholland.net/words/Labels ... oblems.pdf
Wow! What an article, Damien... :cry: I hope that these companies really get their act together and do the right thing from now on, to prevent more disasters in the future...And I think better music education all around about these older artists would be great! The recorded heritage of the past needs to be preserved for future generations and the more our young people know about the great musical artists of our past, the more respected their archives and recordings become! And better care is taken with their master tapes! Doesn't anyone want to be a musicologist anymore??? :?

I'll tell you this...It's RECORD COLLECTORS and MUSIC LOVERS who will save the world and I'll be the first in line to buy a ticket to THAT movie! :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Jul 2019 04:44

In case anyone needs a recap, Jarrett also posted a video about the disaster a while back, although you can't really put how tragic the loss is into words... :(

All I can say is that I hope the other film and record companies learn from this and do right by the art from now on!! [-X