What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

anything and nothing
VinyldechezPierre
France

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 17 Jun 2019 16:41

pogo wrote:
17 Jun 2019 16:01
BTW, the question was intended to be satirically millenial --"Books. What are books?"
:lol:

I have to admit I didn't go back up to check names... and I thought you were Roberto C2H3 who suggested I check myself into a psychiatric hospital. #-o

As for your not speaking french while married to a french woman, shame on you!

Just kidding. My kids, US born and raised from me, a frenchie, and an american mother, who speaks better french than I do, don't speak french either. But they all three are pretty much fluent in spanish; much more useful in the US if you ask me.

That said, do you never come and visit her family?

pogo
long player
long player

Post by pogo » 17 Jun 2019 20:25

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
17 Jun 2019 16:41
That said, do you never come and visit her family?
I had to stop and realize that the last time we were there together was in the 80s
I had a couple of business trips to France mid 90s, but no opportunity see family. Mrs. Pogo's closest cousin and her husband visited us here in 2006. We Phone occasionally. Air travel is now such an ordeal, but we are both of an age where we realize that if we don't come soon, it will be never.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 18 Jun 2019 22:01

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
16 Jun 2019 16:48
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 00:10
Given your confession I would suggest immediate self admittance into a psychiatric hospital :shock:

It may end up this way. The more non-fiction books I read, the crazier I go... Thank god, with a ratio of 1 non-fiction to 2 or 3 fiction books, I manage to stay sane. :D
Awesome. My brother once told me "Ah, so many books to read, and only one life to do it in..." How true. Every minute spent reading is a wonderful investment... Personally, as I do not watch TV, there is plenty of time on any given day to dive into a book's fascinating world 8)

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 18 Jun 2019 22:08

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
17 Jun 2019 16:41
pogo wrote:
17 Jun 2019 16:01
BTW, the question was intended to be satirically millenial --"Books. What are books?"

I have to admit I didn't go back up to check names... and I thought you were Roberto C2H3 who suggested I check myself into a psychiatric hospital. #-o
A comment meant in jest, as you quickly realized :lol:

As I said, I'm an avid reader myself. However, I feel like a bit of an oddball given that the last book most of my friends have read was sometime in the last century :shock: What a pity for them #-o

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 19 Jun 2019 11:01

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
18 Jun 2019 22:08
Absolutely!

My response was not meant so much in jest, unfortunately. I seriously think that the more I read, the more I hate the world we live in. And feel sorry for the kids we are leaving behind...

Like you, I know very few people who read, and most of those that still do, read only books that comfort them in their established beliefs. Which, of course, is totally useless. Reading, to me, is about learning, not being told, again, what you think you already know. :lol:

What your brother once told you I seem to have read somewhere before. Not a criticism. Reading is about learning, and absorbing ideas that, applied to yourself and your life, will make you a better person.

I think.

And that means re-using and recycling ideas. The good ones anyway.

As for TV, yes, wean people off of tv and we may actually have a better world.

My wife and I cut the antenna cable some 20-22 years ago and it's amazing how much you can do with all that free time you suddendly have in your hands. Back then we were restoring an old house and, wow, all of a sudden, the work progressed like crazy.

And I've never felt the urge to get TV again.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 20 Jun 2019 12:41

VdcP: I don't think TV is generally bad - it rather is what one makes of it (like so many other things, too...). I mean, of course one can waste one's time with lousy TV programmes, but one can just as well waste one's time with lousy books.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 20 Jun 2019 13:59

lini wrote:
20 Jun 2019 12:41
VdcP: I don't think TV is generally bad - it rather is what one makes of it (like so many other things, too...). I mean, of course one can waste one's time with lousy TV programmes, but one can just as well waste one's time with lousy books.
I respectfully disagree with you.

There are some great shows and I've seen more of them here in France than I did back in the USA but they are still very basic. My wife and I missed the History Channel at first; but after reading enough good books about history, we realized most of the shows on that channel were not that good.

But anyway, I do not watch TV but I DO watch some TV shows. Yes, that's correct. I watch them on the web which means I watch them when I have the time for them; my schedule is not being dictated by a TV show...

Because that is one third of my problem with TV. You cannot do anything on this day of the week at such and such a time because there is a show you cannot live without. Really?

Once upon a time, I worked installing satellite TV dishes and the longer I worked in this business the more recorders (TIVOs in my days) I installed. Some homes had four of them with who knows (I don't remember) how many hours of recorded material on each. There was no way these people were ever going to watch most of what they recorded since they didn't have time to watch the shows live...

This is the second third of my problem. TV can become an addiction. And I believe it is one for way more people than care to admit.

The third and last part of the problem is that when you sit down in front of the TV after a long day at work, you rarely get up again. Most people will just keep clicking from one channel to the next no matter if they find something worthwhile to watch or not.

As for lousy books, yes, there are some. But I'm not going to flip through 30 other ones in my to-read pile until I think I've found something else to read. First of all, I've chosen the books in that pile so that there is very little chance I'll have to flip through 20 of them before finding one to read. With TV, you have not chosen whatever else is being shown that day/night and there are way more channels than books in my pile so that you can keep going round and round.

:D

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 20 Jun 2019 15:03

VdcP: Well, the schedule dependence has already been removed from the viewers, when VCRs became pretty easily affordable roundabout at the mid 80s. And yes, TV can sure become an adiction, but then again what can't? So I'd claim, that it's basically a phenomenon of our "Überflussgesellschaft", that many of us can afford more than we ever need in quite a few product categories. And if and to which degree one succumbs to certain addictions would seem a matter of personal disposition and self-discipline.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 20 Jun 2019 15:28

Ok.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Jun 2019 03:03

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
19 Jun 2019 11:01
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
18 Jun 2019 22:08
Absolutely!

My response was not meant so much in jest, unfortunately. I seriously think that the more I read, the more I hate the world we live in. And feel sorry for the kids we are leaving behind...

Like you, I know very few people who read, and most of those that still do, read only books that comfort them in their established beliefs. Which, of course, is totally useless. Reading, to me, is about learning, not being told, again, what you think you already know. :lol:

What your brother once told you I seem to have read somewhere before. Not a criticism. Reading is about learning, and absorbing ideas that, applied to yourself and your life, will make you a better person.

I think.

And that means re-using and recycling ideas. The good ones anyway.

As for TV, yes, wean people off of tv and we may actually have a better world.

My wife and I cut the antenna cable some 20-22 years ago and it's amazing how much you can do with all that free time you suddendly have in your hands. Back then we were restoring an old house and, wow, all of a sudden, the work progressed like crazy.

And I've never felt the urge to get TV again.
I see where you're coming from, VinyldechezPierre...I tend to look at devices (aka smartphones, tablets, computers, etc.) and the amount of screen time young kids are getting nowadays as just as detrimental...We played outside when I was young...Yes, PLAYED OUTSIDE! That said, you are talking to one of the biggest TV junkies there is, but this is basically for the classics from the 50's to the 90's...Many of yesterday's shows had a moral to them that you don't see so much with today's television...There were shows that made you think and some very fine actors who dabbled in TV, as well...There was the "family hour" of TV programming, too, but even that seems to have fallen by the wayside...I can say that I don't have cable TV, as I can watch anything I need to see online, on DVD or through traditional channels, should I so desire...Relating this to music, I've recorded many, many concerts and musical performances on VHS tapes, and they are also a part of my library, with many shows not yet on YouTube...Back in the day, I was an avid reader, as well, devouring up classic poetry and prose, studying books of quotations and philosophy...I would read poems by Longfellow, Dickinson, Whittier, Dunbar, and others...A teacher turned me onto the works of Epictetus and others...And I remember all the books they made us read in high school...One of my favorite lines is by Maya Angelou that states "We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike"...I think that's a powerful statement...I've also looked for further meaning in the music...This thread sums up a lot of thoughts that have been brewing in my head for years...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 1&t=110260

I was talking over doing a thread like that with our own Big B5515 and he suggested I go through with it...I've gotten very deep with the music there and if any of you guys have any similar thoughts or your own personal takes on your favorite songs or pieces, feel free to add to what we've written! :D

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 26 Jun 2019 14:37

vinyl master wrote:
22 Jun 2019 03:03
Many of yesterday's shows had a moral to them that you don't see so much with today's television...
If you're talking about standard 50's moral, yes, ok. But otherwise, I don't quite agree with you. Today's shows, from what I hear, talk about way more serious problems than the ones I watched way back when.

I've read or heard somewhere that gay acceptance was helped tremendously by TV. I doubt it was by shows we watched as teens. Now, of course, gays are still getting beat up and abused and worse so that there is quite a bit of progress to be made.

And, of course, I'm talking about gays but they're not the only ones with problems. Plenty of progress yet to be made in quite a few areas that are still forbidden subjects. IMHO we make progress but very, very slowly.

Does trying to help the underdog make me a nerd?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Jun 2019 06:52

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
26 Jun 2019 14:37

Does trying to help the underdog make me a nerd?
No, it just makes you very compassionate...Sadly, something very much lacking in today's world... :(

When I think of TV, I think of things like the classic 50's sitcoms...Think "Father Knows Best", "Bachelor Father", "The Donna Reed Show", "Leave It To Beaver", etc. Throughout the 70's and 80's, you still had shows like "Family Ties", "Growing Pains", "Diff'rent Strokes", "Gimme A Break" and "The Facts Of Life" that attempted to update the sitcom in a contemporary fashion...There were always those "special" episodes of certain shows where the kid gets drunk and learns the consequences of his or her actions or the ones where someone dies...There were dramas, too, like the 70's show, "Family" or say..."Little House On The Prairie" or "The Waltons"...Now, I've taken in a lot of TV over my lifetime, but I also got a lot of it through my dad's love of old Westerns like "The Lone Ranger", "The Cisco Kid", "Wagon Train", "The Rifleman" and John Wayne films...I remember things like those "After School Specials" and shorts like "Schoolhouse Rock"...Shows like "Sesame Street", "The Electric Company" and "Reading Rainbow"...In Canada (and Tink might remember this), there were shows like "The Friendly Giant" and "Mr. Dressup", which were long-running kids' shows...Heck, my dad was a "Howdy Doody" fan back in the day...And those were just some of the programs seen here in the States...I could think of a ton more!

Of course, there are people who would like to turn back the clock to some pie-in-the-sky calmer, gentler time that as you and I know NEVER actually existed in ANY pure form...But as we all know from watching those old shows, REAL PROBLEMS NEVER GET SOLVED WITHIN A 30-MINUTE TIMESPAN! And nowadays, with the shows of today you allude to, there are many more problems to tackle, from climate change to the economy to student loan debt to health care and that's not even mentioning trade wars, tariffs, technological advances like self-driving cars or the endless skirmishes that threaten the free world at any given moment...And then, there's always the ever-present racist attitudes, gender stereotypes and "set in their ways" obstination of a lot of older folks that never seem to change...We have a lot on our plate, but in a way, we are a lot more aware about the problems and issues we face, due to the media and entertainment making these subjects more palatable and relatable...Having the political will to do something about these problems is another matter entirely, though...Anyone who thinks the genie can be put back into the bottle (or Pandora back into the box) now is just fooling themselves into a false sense of security...The sooner we deal with the problems we face head on (because in many areas, the word "crisis" now is an understatement!), the better off we'll ALL be...To fix them all will take a lot of "outside-of-the-box" thinking and a rapid adjustment to major changes in our own thinking and lifestyles, but as the quick change from horse-and-buggy wagons to gas-guzzling cars and trucks proves, it can be done...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Oct 2019 18:00

OK, would collecting THESE qualify you as being a nerd??? :-k

https://theoutline.com/post/8083/cheeto ... i=kjitzlhl

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 12 Oct 2019 19:36

vinyl master wrote:
12 Oct 2019 18:00

Oooh, I think that is a different category.....

My latest toy, from a yard sale of course :mrgreen: I want to take time to learn and set it up correctly but won't have a window to that for a little while but am really looking forward to it. First project: I found an online pattern to print - a Dual Steuerpimpel !
20190920_235933c.jpg
(47.43 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Oct 2019 22:11

spensar wrote:
12 Oct 2019 19:36
vinyl master wrote:
12 Oct 2019 18:00

Oooh, I think that is a different category.....

My latest toy, from a yard sale of course :mrgreen: I want to take time to learn and set it up correctly but won't have a window to that for a little while but am really looking forward to it. First project: I found an online pattern to print - a Dual Steuerpimpel !
20190920_235933c.jpg
Hey spensar...You could make 'em and sell 'em, but I wouldn't want to trounce on Don's territory here, although there is probably room for two, considering all the Dual owners out there who need one...You could then try moving up to making headshells/sleds possibly and other parts, but it would be interesting to see how they would come out...Makes me wonder, too, if a dearing ring could be made with that thing? :-k

Got any other ideas for it??? :-k