How do I undent a flexidisk sound sheet?

name that tune
scrapjack+

How do I undent a flexidisk sound sheet?

Post by scrapjack+ » 14 Jun 2019 04:51

No long backstory here, just what the title says. I got a flexidisk with a few dents, sometimes the needle jumps forward, at one place it gets stuck repeating, also there is a fold outside the playing surface. I know there is a several hundred dollar warped record straitener, but I'm looking for no cost home remedies as the contents are public domain.

I thought about sandwitching it between two pieces of poster board in the photography drymount press, but don't have access to it anymore, still think it would've been worth the try.

I considered my heat gun, but figured I'd probably just melt a hole in it. I once tried flattening a terribly sun warped record with my heat gun and sheet metal, that went badly, but that record was unplayable to begin with.

I'm thinking maybe I should put a tee shirt or two on top of it and try to iron it.

Maybe I just need to submerge it in boiling water like a deformed suction cup.

Is there an easy way to undent flexidisk sound sheets?

I can't seem to find what these are made of so I don't know what their melting point is, or if they are safe to clean with alcohol based cleaners like vinyl. this one is a black square from National Geographic, if that helps for anything. I also have a clear transparent one somewhere.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: How do I undent a flexidisk sound sheet?

Post by Coffee Phil » 21 Jun 2019 18:26

Hi scrapjack,

I have never done a flexidisc but the same procedure I use for Lps should work. Get two pieces of smooth ceramic tile and sandwich the record between the two smooth glazed surfaces. Place the "sandwich" in an oven and heat to ~ 150 degrees F. After the oven and tiles have stabilized to the temperature turn off the oven and leave for several hours until the tiles cool.

Phil
scrapjack+ wrote:
14 Jun 2019 04:51
No long backstory here, just what the title says. I got a flexidisk with a few dents, sometimes the needle jumps forward, at one place it gets stuck repeating, also there is a fold outside the playing surface. I know there is a several hundred dollar warped record straitener, but I'm looking for no cost home remedies as the contents are public domain.

I thought about sandwitching it between two pieces of poster board in the photography drymount press, but don't have access to it anymore, still think it would've been worth the try.

I considered my heat gun, but figured I'd probably just melt a hole in it. I once tried flattening a terribly sun warped record with my heat gun and sheet metal, that went badly, but that record was unplayable to begin with.

I'm thinking maybe I should put a tee shirt or two on top of it and try to iron it.

Maybe I just need to submerge it in boiling water like a deformed suction cup.

Is there an easy way to undent flexidisk sound sheets?

I can't seem to find what these are made of so I don't know what their melting point is, or if they are safe to clean with alcohol based cleaners like vinyl. this one is a black square from National Geographic, if that helps for anything. I also have a clear transparent one somewhere.

scrapjack+

Re: How do I undent a flexidisk sound sheet?

Post by scrapjack+ » 25 Jun 2019 04:30

Ok, I know someone with some spare bathtub tiles laying around. I'll pick some up the next time I'm out that way. Thank you. I'll let you know if it works.