Stylus for Grace F9

the thin end of the wedge
Vadgr
Russia
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 May 2019 20:48

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Vadgr » 14 Jun 2019 06:30

Thanks for the comments! Some time I wait for the parcel. Then I will inform you.
But all the same, what kind of model is this 14 stylus? I did not see the color gray in the description.

jc3
member
member
Posts: 158
Joined: 26 Mar 2012 16:44

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by jc3 » 15 Jun 2019 02:29

All I know is that the clear F-14 stylus has an aluminum non-tapered cantilever, the orange one has a boron cantilever with MR stylus, and the yellow seems to be the equivalent of the standard F-9 stylus. Don't know about the grey one - looks like a very nice cantilever from what I can tell based on it tapering - but you'll have to do some digging. All F-9 styli should work just fine with that body, though.

jc3
member
member
Posts: 158
Joined: 26 Mar 2012 16:44

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by jc3 » 15 Jun 2019 04:47

This might be helpful - but will have to be put through a translator unless you can read Japanese. Info on a lot of the F-14 styli in there.

http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/need ... GRACE.html

stevoz
senior member
senior member
Australia
Posts: 370
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 02:31

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by stevoz » 17 Jun 2019 06:56

jc3 wrote:
15 Jun 2019 04:47
This might be helpful - but will have to be put through a translator unless you can read Japanese. Info on a lot of the F-14 styli in there.

http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/need ... GRACE.html
Here's the 'English' version!

https://translate.google.com.au/transla ... rev=search

....and yes, it is a great Grace database. :)

stevoz
senior member
senior member
Australia
Posts: 370
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 02:31

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by stevoz » 17 Jun 2019 07:02

bra10n wrote:
13 Jun 2019 23:07
I'll weigh in but by no means an expert. To my eyes someone has frankensteined an F14 stylus on an F9 body. The cantilever angle just looks completely wrong to my eye, perhaps Dimitri or Joe might give their opinions.
That is a genuine F14 stylus and it will fit the F9 perfectly.....

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia
Posts: 1024
Joined: 25 Oct 2013 01:38
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by bra10n » 17 Jun 2019 23:33

stevoz wrote:
17 Jun 2019 07:02
bra10n wrote:
13 Jun 2019 23:07
I'll weigh in but by no means an expert. To my eyes someone has frankensteined an F14 stylus on an F9 body. The cantilever angle just looks completely wrong to my eye, perhaps Dimitri or Joe might give their opinions.
That is a genuine F14 stylus and it will fit the F9 perfectly.....
The F14 stylus might fit (well perhaps can be fitted to an F9 is a more accurate statement...) but that's not to say this arrangement (1) will necessarily sound anything like this cart is capable of or was intended to, and (2) that damage to the coils won't result due to the rear of the tube being different. YMMV.

Another document here

jc3
member
member
Posts: 158
Joined: 26 Mar 2012 16:44

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by jc3 » 18 Jun 2019 02:45

The F-14 stylus document from Shinagawa Musen says that the F-14 stylus is compatible with the F-9 body. The rear of the brass stylus capsule on the F-14 you sent along is exactly the same externally (appearance, dimensions, construction [solid plug in the end, no tie wire]) as the F-9 ruby in every respect.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 660/source

vs

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 657/source

The brass insert ends have the same diameter (~2.2mm), and the same length with the brass plug inserted (~6.6mm). The F-14 stylus internal construction is similar to that of the F-9 ruby - the cantilever is bonded somehow into the elastomer bearing block and the magnet rides on the posterior end on a small chunk of steel or permalloy. It appears grace got away from the tie wire completely in the F-14, but I can't confirm this without dissecting every model F-14 stylus.

stevoz
senior member
senior member
Australia
Posts: 370
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 02:31

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by stevoz » 18 Jun 2019 03:02

bra10n wrote:
17 Jun 2019 23:33
stevoz wrote:
17 Jun 2019 07:02
bra10n wrote:
13 Jun 2019 23:07
I'll weigh in but by no means an expert. To my eyes someone has frankensteined an F14 stylus on an F9 body. The cantilever angle just looks completely wrong to my eye, perhaps Dimitri or Joe might give their opinions.
That is a genuine F14 stylus and it will fit the F9 perfectly.....
The F14 stylus might fit (well perhaps can be fitted to an F9 is a more accurate statement...) but that's not to say this arrangement (1) will necessarily sound anything like this cart is capable of or was intended to, and (2) that damage to the coils won't result due to the rear of the tube being different. YMMV.

Another document here
While I agree that the cart may not sound exactly the same, it will still have a high quality Grace stylus on it and basically there is no difference between an F9 stylus and an F14 stylus of the same model (ie: cantilever material and stylus profile) bar the finger grip anyway...and it clearly states at the bottom of the article that "this stylus is compatible with F9/F14 cartridge." as there is no difference in the dimensions of the bodies of both carts (including shank diameter), just internal differences.

There is no mention of differing tube/shank diameters or potential coil damage.

So I say again, that is a genuine F14 stylus and it will fit the F9 perfectly.....

This is actually an established and accepted fact among Grace cartridge owners. :)

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia
Posts: 1024
Joined: 25 Oct 2013 01:38
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by bra10n » 18 Jun 2019 13:34

stevoz wrote:
18 Jun 2019 03:02
...This is actually an established and accepted fact among Grace cartridge owners. :)
Just not this Grace cartridge owner.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia
Posts: 1024
Joined: 25 Oct 2013 01:38
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by bra10n » 19 Jun 2019 04:39

https://www.lpgear.com/product/GRACEF9L.html

Wow US$1200 for near enough to a 40 year old cart.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia
Posts: 1024
Joined: 25 Oct 2013 01:38
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by bra10n » 19 Jun 2019 04:40

Or these, Likely Jico replacement styli;

https://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop94330 ... /GRACE9-EE

jc3
member
member
Posts: 158
Joined: 26 Mar 2012 16:44

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by jc3 » 19 Jun 2019 05:03

bra10n wrote:
19 Jun 2019 04:40
Or these, Likely Jico replacement styli;

https://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop94330 ... /GRACE9-EE
I've seen that 1200 dollar one. But I hadn't seen the UK ones. Anyone have one of these? Sent the seller an email, so we'll see. I doubt they are Jico - Jico would have them listed on their website and 425 quid is way too much for a Jico stylus - even their exotics are less than that. I sent an email to Jico a few years back and asked if they had plans for F-9 styli - their answer was short and sweet - 'no.'

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia
Posts: 1024
Joined: 25 Oct 2013 01:38
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by bra10n » 19 Jun 2019 05:35

jc3 wrote:
19 Jun 2019 05:03
...I sent an email to Jico a few years back and asked if they had plans for F-9 styli - their answer was short and sweet - 'no.'
Yet you knew at the time? that they were selling replacement Grace F9 replacement styli to the Japanese market?

That link I posted sure reads like a Jico page description. I checked their (local) store website not long ago for Grace styli and it comes up with the equivalent of 'No product found'. Can't help but think they've quit the product and bulk sold on what stock they had left. Price being asked is surely no indication... Just my impression, nothing more.

I'd be curious to see what comes of your email.

stevoz
senior member
senior member
Australia
Posts: 370
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 02:31

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by stevoz » 19 Jun 2019 07:10

bra10n wrote:
18 Jun 2019 13:34
stevoz wrote:
18 Jun 2019 03:02
...This is actually an established and accepted fact among Grace cartridge owners. :)
Just not this Grace cartridge owner.
Well, you need to do some more research....

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia
Posts: 1024
Joined: 25 Oct 2013 01:38
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by bra10n » 19 Jun 2019 08:17

:toilet:

Post Reply