Shure M75

the thin end of the wedge
4clicks
Philippines

Shure M75

Post by 4clicks » 18 Jun 2019 06:29

I am contemplating on buying Shure M75, I found out however that there are different variations of M75.
I had an earlier impression that all these variations differ only in styluses and mounting brackets and use only same generator. It turned out that some variations have different output voltage. The M75 cs for example has an output of about 9 mV while the others are mostly 5mV.
So anybody in the forum has an experience which variant has better sonic quality. Are the 5mV variants better sounding despite of lower voltage output or the sonic quality of M75cs is the same with the others only expected to be louder assuming they use the same or similar styluses conical/elliptical.
Another thing. Some of these cartridges are sold mounted to odd mounting brackets like Dual. Can these M75 bodies be mounted to other non Shure mounting brackets like those brackets from 1/2 in Audio technica cartridges or old Excel cartridges

simonineaston
Great Britain

Re: Shure M75

Post by simonineaston » 18 Jun 2019 07:16

The one I recently found has the '6S' stylus, which according to Shure's own data sheet, measures 0.0006", has a spherical profile, giving '6S' and makes an output on the M75 Easymount body of 6 mV. The Easymount body looks like a click fit into a steel carrier, which in turn is bolted to headshells with the more usual screw holes. See recent photos on page 438 of the Cartridge Close Up... thread. https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... start=6555 Hope that helps a bit...

4clicks
Philippines

Post by 4clicks » 18 Jun 2019 08:04

4clicks wrote:
18 Jun 2019 06:29
Some of these cartridges are sold mounted to odd mounting brackets like Dual. Can these M75 bodies be mounted to other non Shure mounting brackets like those brackets from 1/2 in Audio technica cartridges or old Excel cartridges
What I mean here is can the M75 cartridge body be removed from its native mounting bracket and be fitted into a non Shure mounting brackets? Or if I happen to find a bracketless body, can I fit this to a non Shure mounting bracket? I was thinking of buying a cheap china made AT cart and swap the body with the shure m75. I have a generic cartridgemade in China which I think is similar to AT3600 which I dont mind swapping the body with the M75 body

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Jun 2019 10:55

Although it might be possible to change the body, it would be very difficult to maintain alignment, angle, etc.. Besides that there are lots of examples with mounting means that would not need to be messed with so why not seek out one of those instead?

What makes the most difference in sound quality is the type and quality of the stylus. That makes this a versatile stylus since there are lots of choices available. Original EDT2 stylii are difficult to find but there are lots of good quality aftermarket stylii being made. The better ones usually cost more however, just like anything else in audio.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 18 Jun 2019 12:17

The various SHURE M75s are detailed in the catalogue downloadable here:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/shu ... ucts.shtml

donovan

Post by donovan » 18 Jun 2019 12:34

I bought a Shure M75G Type 2 (5mV) last year and it sounds great. Lots of available stylus too.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 18 Jun 2019 22:53

The Shure M91ED and the M75ED Type 2 are basically the same cartridge. -with the M75ED/2 having a 'snap down' stylus guard.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 24 Jun 2019 15:18

The M75 Easy Mount options (the ones which mount into that metal piece which is mounted to the tonearm) are the most versatile of all the Shure cartridges in terms of stylus choices.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 24 Jun 2019 17:20

In my experience, the M75s and their varients are potentially nice sounding cartridges, especially with an HE stylus. Some examples have been affixed into an outer plastic shell which allows easy half-inch mounting. And some come snapped into a shiny metal mounting bracket. The metal brackets which have mounting screw slots open at the sides are preferred because they retain their screws when moving the cartridge back and forth during alignment. The units which have mounting slots open toward the front are always capable of slipping away from the screws when moving the cartridge rearward. (#@*!) #-o. Unfortunately, they seem to be the most popular type which come up for resale.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 24 Jun 2019 20:34

4clicks wrote:
18 Jun 2019 06:29

So anybody in the forum has an experience which variant has better sonic quality. Are the 5mV variants better sounding despite of lower voltage output or the sonic quality of M75cs is the same with the others only expected to be louder assuming they use the same or similar styluses conical/elliptical.
I have the Shure M75CS and the M75G type II.
They are both very nice cartridges that are hard not to like.

They have different sound signatures but both are on the warm side and with that distinct 'vintage' tone, which I like.
Some prefer a more 'modern', open sound like that of a typical Audio Technica.
So it is down to personal preference whether you will like it or not.

Shure M75CS has a deep and full low-end and a very high output.
It will be a nice choice for a heavy arm on a vintage table.
Shure M75G type II is more delicate and detailed and will do better on medium mass arms.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 25 Jun 2019 00:22

(The Shure M91ED and the M75ED Type 2 are basically the same cartridge. )

Details on the M91 are found in the library:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/shure/m91.shtml