Anti skate not working

turning japanese
jazon

Anti skate not working

Post by jazon » 14 Jun 2019 20:21

I believe my anti skate is not working. No matter where its set the arm wants to pull toward the center. Records seem to play fine but I don't know the repercussions of it not working. I have a technics sl-q2. Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried searching google but didn't find anything very straight forward.

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Anti skate not working

Post by lenjack » 14 Jun 2019 23:13

With the anti skate set to zero, balance the arm so it floats free horizontally above the platter. Place it halfway across, above the platter. It should stay there, if you balanced it correctly. Now increase the anti skate setting. If it's working, the arm should start to drift out towards the arm rest. If it does not, it means there is excessive arm pivot friction, or the anti skate spring has lost it's tension. The latter is much the more likely.

If it's the spring, you can try to get a replacement from https://organdonorparts.com, or you can try retensioning the spring. Tricky, but I might be able to walk you through it.

jazon

Post by jazon » 16 Jun 2019 01:32

hmm seems like it might be hard. maybe I should try and find a new turntable. I didnt pay much for the q2 but its been good to me.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Jun 2019 02:49

If you're at all handy with tools, you can do it. Need to invert the unit on it's cover, after securing the arm, removing the bottom cover, and observing if the anti skate spring is visible and accessible. If so, you can cut and shorten the spring very slightly, to add tension. Not fun, but not too difficult. Took me about 45 minute on my SL-D3, which had the same problem. Did you test the arm as I suggested?

If you try it, I'll go through it with you.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 16 Jun 2019 10:17

That appears to be a good turntable, and worth repairing imo.

You could also try and look for a replacement spring in the local shops in your area. I think they use standardized springs, but I could be wrong.

An improperly set or not working antiskate will cause distortion from either left, right or even both channels. Usually even more so on the inner grooves.

The cause of the distortion could be also poor cartridge alignment, too low VTF or a worn stylus or damaged tonearm bearings. But if you took the time to align the cartridge properly and you know that the stylus is still in good shape you can rule those out.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Jun 2019 15:54

When it comes right down to it, some experts don't believe anti skate to be all that important. Some extremely highly regarded turntables, including the legendary, original AR, omitted it. Personally, I don't subscribe to this notion. The downside is slightly higher tracking force is required, and one side of the stylus will wear slightly faster.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 16 Jun 2019 16:11

Yes, I have seen some pretty expensive tonearms without AS. As you pointed out, some believe that with a high enough tracking force and also the mass of the tonearm (I think), there should be less need for an anti skate. I guess the tonearm geometry also plays a role in this.

It would be still preferable to fix the antiskate as you suggested. Judging from the service manual it should not be a hard fix. He could also try and increase the force beyond suggested to see if there is still any tension he can work it. A better idea would be to repair it, but if he does not feel confident in servicing, increasing the as force could do the trick.

jazon

Post by jazon » 17 Jun 2019 15:39

lenjack wrote:
14 Jun 2019 23:13
With the anti skate set to zero, balance the arm so it floats free horizontally above the platter. Place it halfway across, above the platter. It should stay there, if you balanced it correctly. Now increase the anti skate setting. If it's working, the arm should start to drift out towards the arm rest. If it does not, it means there is excessive arm pivot friction, or the anti skate spring has lost it's tension. The latter is much the more likely.

If it's the spring, you can try to get a replacement from https://organdonorparts.com, or you can try retensioning the spring. Tricky, but I might be able to walk you through it.
ok, so maybe there is nothing wrong with the anti-skate as when I do what you say. the arms comes back towards the rest. The reason I thought there was something wrong with it is mostly this: on some records when i put the needle down on the lead in groove, it wants to shoot toward the center and sometimes skips a bit before playing. it also makes a big "click" sound when it gets past the lead in groove. when i put the needle down further in avoiding the lead in groove this doesn't happen. is this bad cartridge alignment perhaps? I tried to measure the distance from stylus point to rubber washer and its pretty close to 52mm.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 17 Jun 2019 16:35

If that's the case, your anti skate is OK. I can explain what's happening. On most records, the very edge is raised slightly so that if you place the stylus (needle) down, or if a changer places it too far out, it may drop off the edge of the record and be damaged. This raised edge will catch the stylus, and guide it inwards, thereby preventing it from dropping off. You can probably prevent the jumping by placing it just a little bit further from the very edge.

jazon

Post by jazon » 17 Jun 2019 17:31

lenjack wrote:
17 Jun 2019 16:35
If that's the case, your anti skate is OK. I can explain what's happening. On most records, the very edge is raised slightly so that if you place the stylus (needle) down, or if a changer places it too far out, it may drop off the edge of the record and be damaged. This raised edge will catch the stylus, and guide it inwards, thereby preventing it from dropping off. You can probably prevent the jumping by placing it just a little bit further from the very edge.
Yes, if I put the needle down so the cartridge is almost lined up with the edge of the record it doesn't happen but it varies depending on the record as some have larger/smaller lead in grooves. Is the click sound normal?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 17 Jun 2019 18:34

If it jumps, you will hear a click. Now relax and enjoy the music. =D> :wink: :)