Show Us Your Realistic System/Gear

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Show Us Your Realistic System/Gear

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Jun 2019 10:41

A friend suggested I start a new thread highlighting our Realistic/Radio Shack systems and gear since I'm in the process of putting together such a system.

Some like to slag Realistic/Radio Shack gear as being inferior, but they have some decent equipment produced for them at reasonable prices over the years. You can also still find some of them for reasonable prices too.

I've got a Realistic STA-235 Receiver and a pair of Nova 7B Speakers and will soon have a Realistic turntable to add to my system here. :mrgreen:
Realistic STA-235 5.jpg
(24.03 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Here is the receiver rated at 55 watts per channel,Note the triple tone control plus all the knobs are metal and it has a walnut veneer cabinet too.
Realistic Nova 7B 2.jpg
(92 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Here are the Nova 7B speakers with walnut veneer cabinets.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Show Us Your Realistic System/Gear

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jun 2019 11:43

You have inspired me, Tink...I may have to go after my own Realistic model at some point...I will say that I have a few pieces, including my STA-65C receiver...It was only $40, but I fell in love with the styling...

Don't ask me why, but it called my name...I have heard that this one was made by Hitachi, too, and that the 65D was a Fostex-made model...Any truth to this? :-k

Here's a Radio Shack ad that featured it, as well...

In any case, I also picked up this mismatched pair of Nova speakers, a 4-B and a 6-B, I believe...

While not the greatest equipment, they did put out some surprises over the years...And if one finds the right components, a decent system can be created on the cheap...My favorite record fanatic Frank has also spotlighted some of this Realistic equipment, including his 2100D receiver...

I'm sure more of the Engineers have some nice Rat Shack equipment in their stables...The better-made stuff is certainly worth keeping, that's for sure! :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Jun 2019 12:01

Thanks for sharing your STA-65 receiver and speakers vinyl master, it looks like a very nice vintage model from the early 1970s! 8)

Yes, I`ve heard some of their early ones were built by Hitachi and later ones by Foster Electronics, as were some of their speakers.

Perhaps one day you can find a matching pair of Nova speakers,or even single ones to have a matching set. I know you have a nice Elac turntable which some were distributed through RS, but some of their other tables were made by CEC and were sleepers too. In the same year my next to the top STA-235 was introduced, they also introduced the top of the line STA-2000 which was the start of a very nice and respectable series.

Here is a link to the 1977 catalog that featured my receiver:
If you click on the H above the specific page you can see it in high resolution.
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/ ... 1-050.html

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 07 Jun 2019 13:28

A couple of Realistic turntables I once owned:

Realistic Lab 250:
Realistic Lab 250.jpg
(117.89 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

Realistic Lab 8500:
Realistic LAB 8500 VE.jpg
(184.25 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
The Lab 8500 is quite rare I think, a similar model was released by Mitsubishi though.

Where I live Radio Shack was known as 'Tandy'. The Lab 250 had a Tandy logo on the dust cover.

katana1100

Post by katana1100 » 08 Jun 2019 02:15

I love rat shack stuff. I have been looking for years for a set of Optimus 300 speakers.
Check them out , they were the best they ever had. I had a friend with a set and they were impressive .

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Jun 2019 03:04

I have come across several RS branded pieces over the years, and not a single one has disappointed. Not top of the line always, but always delivering true bang for the buck. Several sets of speakers, most notably in the Minimus series, a couple of small format receivers, and a few secondary components such as graphic equalizers and tape decks, they all impress with their performance, build, looks and cost. Quality components to the masses mentality being practiced. The Hitachi connection is very real.....and confirms high quality under the faceplate. 8)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 08 Jun 2019 11:06

Japi Roelofs wrote:
07 Jun 2019 13:28
A couple of Realistic turntables I once owned:

Realistic Lab 250:

Realistic Lab 250.jpg

Realistic Lab 8500:

Realistic LAB 8500 VE.jpg

The Lab 8500 is quite rare I think, a similar model was released by Mitsubishi though.

Where I live Radio Shack was known as 'Tandy'. The Lab 250 had a Tandy logo on the dust cover.
Those look like a couple of beautiful turntables Japi! 8)

Yes, Tandy was the owner of Radio Shack here too, but they used Realistic as a brand name on equipment.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jun 2019 21:49

Here is my new Realistic RD-8100 direct drive turntable built by Hitachi and based on the Hitachi PS-48.
I will put a Realistic R47EDT cartridge on it once my headshell arrives.

This model from circa 1976-78 was only offered in Canada and was not listed in any of their catalogs.
Realistic RD-8100 1 R.jpg
(102.59 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Realistic RD-8100 3 R.jpg
(93.18000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Realistic RD-8100 4 R.jpg
(96.13 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Realistic RD-8100 2 R.jpg
(107.98 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jun 2019 22:48

That looks like a true find, Tink, and it seems to go so well with the 235! It's got such a great look to it, too! You'll have to play around with it when you get your new headshell, but the nice thing is that you can also use the Pioneer shell with another cartridge, should you so desire! =D>

Your sleuthing skills are on full display, my friend...and again, proof positive that not all Radio Shack stuff was junk! :mrgreen:

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 13 Jun 2019 02:49

I am a proud Realistic LAB 300 owner now. And love Realistic's better offerings.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 13 Jun 2019 03:37

That is a great looking turntable, and given its "lineage", I'm sure will be the source of many hours of pleasant listening. I love the synchronicity of the wood and aluminum together...and you know the mechanical underpinnings are top notch as well. Congrats on a great score, many happy revolutions! 8)

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 13 Jun 2019 03:40

Oh, by the way, I have a R47XT on a Technics SL-D202 (haven't found a good RS turntable yet), and it is one of my favorite cartridges. Enjoy! :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Jun 2019 10:02

vinyl master wrote:
12 Jun 2019 22:48
That looks like a true find, Tink, and it seems to go so well with the 235! It's got such a great look to it, too! You'll have to play around with it when you get your new headshell, but the nice thing is that you can also use the Pioneer shell with another cartridge, should you so desire! =D>

Your sleuthing skills are on full display, my friend...and again, proof positive that not all Radio Shack stuff was junk! :mrgreen:
Thanks for your replies guys,its nice to see some of this equipment getting a little appreciation and love. This turntable just needed someone to come along and give it a minor bit of TLC and is now performing like a champ. :mrgreen:

In these days of overpriced vintage equipment its nice to be able to still find some underappreciated bargains out there. This whole system of receiver, turntable and speakers cost me less than $220 US and performs like a much more expensive one. I've been very impressed by both the quality and performance.

Another nice bonus was that I can use the Hitachi PS-48 manuals for this turntable,and here is even a Unitorque direct drive motor service manual contributed by Thermisto!

Kent we would love to see a photo of your Lab 300 turntable some time if you get the chance.

AOR I hope you find a really nice Realistic turntable in your searches, and the R47XT is a very good cartridge too.

vinyl master-the Pioneer headshell is going back on the PL112D once I get the headshell for this one. I should let everyone know that you helped me find the Nova 7B speakers locally, so thanks for the tip and encouragement. :wink:

The turntable looks great and performs even better, so I was lucky to find it and happy to give it a good home.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jun 2019 11:41

Not a problem, Tink...And you're welcome! :mrgreen:

And again...It's nice when a system can come together, no? :-k

I think all these pieces were calling your name, too! :wink: =D>

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Jun 2019 12:15

vinyl master wrote:
13 Jun 2019 11:41
Not a problem, Tink...And you're welcome! :mrgreen:

And again...It's nice when a system can come together, no? :-k

I think all these pieces were calling your name, too! :wink: =D>
Yes, they were calling my name and it was my duty to reunite them with their comrades! :wink:

I agree it's nice to see the whole system come together and the research was half the fun. I learned a lot in the process including a greater respect for some of these Realistic components. =D>