The Day The Music Burned

Post by johnnywalker » 11 Jun 2019 17:07

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: The Day The Music Burned

Post by fscl » 11 Jun 2019 21:51

The material estimated lost in the burn is mind boggling.

Now that the originals are forever gone, does the new archive get built on different media masters...... :-k

Between take comments lost forever...... #-o :(

Fred

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 11 Jun 2019 22:03

It most certainly is. 😩

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 12 Jun 2019 14:28

We discussed this at length over at tapeheads.net

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 12 Jun 2019 16:02

Interesting to look behind this story.....

"The fire that swept across the backlot of Universal Studios Hollywood on Sunday, June 1, 2008,"

It is linked to a subscription newspaper looking to sign people up ...... :D

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 12 Jun 2019 16:18

Complacency is an all too human trait. It seems that almost every safety or preservation scheme we can conceive has a hole in it somewhere. How many movie and television scripts have been written and filmed which involve an early security logic flaw exploited early on? It is easy to see that often one hand does not learn from the other. We wouldn't even have the Pink Panther series without this human failing to satirically employ. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned by others.

rvb
Andorra

Post by rvb » 12 Jun 2019 18:33

Very bad company. You should always have at least 1 backup. I have 2, 1 at home and 1 in the cloud.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jun 2019 19:12

What a shame! :( I feel for Randy Aronson in the article...As a collector of many recordings, including 1,000's of one-offs, like obscure disco singles, one-hit wonders and those rare Northern Soul singles, of which many are favorites, I identify with wanting to preserve the music, especially when copies are scarce! A lot of music in my own collection has not been digitized or is even available on CD, so something else to think about...I remember hearing about Johnny Carson's Tonight Show video vault housed underground in Kansas...

https://journalstar.com/news/local/tape ... 9450e.html

Why couldn't something like this be done with the music masters? There have to be better ways to preserve this material...For posterity, that fire is an incredible loss! :(

Think about it this way, too...Many of us here archive and preserve our own record collections...We are meticulous about the details and can cite thousands of obscure facts about the recordings we own and cherish...How is it that that sense of preservation, of the value of recorded music for posterity, has been lost among the labels, whose main goal is the bottom line? Of course, imagine what knowledge the world would possess had not the fire of Alexandria, Egypt not decimated those ancient scrolls!

https://ehistory.osu.edu/articles/burni ... alexandria

Whenever I buy someone's records, espcially if they are from an estate sale or from someone's family whose loved one had passed, I like to assure them that their family member's collection will be loved, enjoyed and taken care of...It's like I am carrying on a tradition, a love for great music that was loved by generations before me and will hopefully be loved by others after me...We are caretakers of history, my friends, and if we, the lovers of art, don't do it, who will??? The record labels hold far greater valuable recordings than even WE will ever know, so it stands to reason that they should be even MORE vigilant about preserving them, right???! :?

cary114
United States of America

Post by cary114 » 13 Jun 2019 02:50

Yes sir I heartily agree. I have really gone over the top on the 78's I collect and am slowly digitizing them.

cary114
United States of America

Post by cary114 » 13 Jun 2019 02:59

Whenever I buy someone's records, espcially if they are from an estate sale or from someone's family whose loved one had passed, I like to assure them that their family member's collection will be loved, enjoyed and taken care of...It's like I am carrying on a tradition, a love for great music that was loved by generations before me and will hopefully be loved by others after me...We are caretakers of history, my friends, and if we, the lovers of art, don't do it, who will??? The record labels hold far greater valuable recordings than even WE will ever know, so it stands to reason that they should be even MORE vigilant about preserving them, right???! :?
[/quote]

Yes sir I heartily agree. I have really gone over the top on the 78's I collect and am slowly digitizing them. You can never tell with the really old recordings if the Masters still exist. I have read some articles That Sony has all the Victor Masters from when they acquired RCA.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 15 Jun 2019 23:19

cary114 wrote:
13 Jun 2019 02:59

Yes sir I heartily agree. I have really gone over the top on the 78's I collect and am slowly digitizing them. You can never tell with the really old recordings if the Masters still exist. I have read some articles That Sony has all the Victor Masters from when they acquired RCA.
There is some definitely some old Victor metal masters around but how many, I'm not sure. A while back, I bought a blank white label vinyl pressing made from a 1924 Victor metal part. Don't know when it was pressed, could have been last week just as well as 25 years ago.

I've heard of this RCA sanctioned destruction of Victor stuff before :https://whyy.org/articles/encore-for-ic ... -new-spin/

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Jun 2019 07:11

I noticed Frank discussed the fire recently, too...

And you know what??? I think we have too many BUSINESS guys running the record companies instead of MUSIC guys! #-o It's a headache waiting to happen! [-X Too much emphasis is placed on the business of music...That would be fine, if it wasn't at the expense of the love and reverence for the music! When you think of things like Buddy Holly's masters gone or John Coltrane's Impulse stuff, they should have just let the Library Of Congress take over or someone who cares about archiving...Joel Whitburn has collected just about every 45 rpm to hit the Hot 100 chart in Billboard and his archive is probably better kept than Universal's was! :shock: His collection is SO INSPIRATIONAL and I love the custom-made leatherette volumes for the picture sleeves!! =D>

Regarding Universal and all the other record companies, they seriously need to get their act together on this, if they haven't!! "Go underground, go fireproof or go home!" is what I say! :?

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 17 Jun 2019 16:01

rvb wrote:
12 Jun 2019 18:33
Very bad company. You should always have at least 1 backup. I have 2, 1 at home and 1 in the cloud.
You cannot have a backup of an analogue master. Then it's not a master. In this era of digital it is an easy thing to forget.

They had "backups" of many of the tapes and other media, but they are not the original masters they are one or more generations removed.

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 19 Jun 2019 02:49

For those wondering if I would chime in on this I will but I've got a lot to say and I want to get it right so soon.
Phil Brown

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 19 Jun 2019 03:03

Bob Dillon wrote:
15 Jun 2019 23:19

I've heard of this RCA sanctioned destruction of Victor stuff before :https://whyy.org/articles/encore-for-ic ... -new-spin/
ARGH!!

$%§/&%=/=?&$%/$%§&§%/&%($%§$&/ !!