Dual 1225 - Phase Two

twice the fun
WHAMMO_63

Dual 1225 - Phase Two

Post by WHAMMO_63 » 08 Jun 2019 22:40

So, been fiddling with my Dual 1225. I took the bearings and rotor from the parts 1225 I got of off eBay and just threw the original in with the spare parts. I was also able to grab the pimpel off the donor table and it actually worked!

The only persistent problem now is that the turntable completely stops moving once the auto mechanism kicks in. If I advance the platter by hand the turntable lands in the right place and rejects correctly at both speeds. Not sure why the mechanism is slowing the platter to a full stop. The motor seems to have plenty of torque and the idler has been cleaned. The rubber wheel is in great shape, nice and soft, and I also pulled apart the part under the wheel and lubed it. I also cleaned the rim of the platter with isopropyl, so I think I got the whole drive path cleaned and lubed?

I don't hear any rubbing, however I am thinking I need to adjust the force of the idler wheel against the pulley. Not sure how that would be done :roll:

If anyone else has an idea how the mech might weigh down the platter movement please let me know. Also, what do I clean the black areas of the base with? I got my greasy fingerprints all over this thing and Fantastik is not working #-o

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Dual 1225 - Phase Two

Post by mrow2 » 08 Jun 2019 23:16

Leave the pulley and idler alone for now, make sure the main cam is not full of dried grease. Also check grease in linkages like the main pivot for instance, that one can restrict operations when dirt and dried grease freezes up; tolerances seem to be really tight there. The idler/pulley/platter drum relationship is pretty much automatic provided they are in good shape. For the plinth you can try a gentle car-polish/cleaner with clean cloth but be aware it may become shiny if you rub and buff it too much.

WHAMMO_63

Post by WHAMMO_63 » 08 Jun 2019 23:46

Thanks for the tips Don =D>

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 09 Jun 2019 19:42

Keep us posted! Cheers, Don