vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: How many turntables do you have?

Post by vinyl master » 08 May 2019 02:59

chiptneedle wrote:
07 May 2019 21:47
windywatchguy wrote:
22 Mar 2019 14:08
Am I the only one who finds it rather annoying when people feel compelled to announce when they buy something for a very low price? This thread was never meant as a place to share your amazingly cheap turntable. In fact, almost none of the threads here are related to the price you paid at Goodwill or a yardsale. I'm considering using this forum as a place to announce every great buy I make from now on. I'll start with this: Last week I got an artificial xmas tree for 3 USD. If you'd like the details of the manufacturer, height, type, etc. just ask.

The thing is, if it sounds good to you, put the bargain on your list.
I personally don't mind t'others broadcasting their joy, 'cos it is a moment of their own personal "new". Of which, i can visually picture the buzz on their blurred faces. I would love to listen to as many Gram players of certain quality that are listed by the lucky blighters.
Absolutely! One of the reasons Tinkaroo started this thread here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=88346

That way, we can broadcast our joy all we want! :mrgreen:

AND...it's one of my favorite threads on VE, so there! :wink:

Plus, I find looking for cheap bargains a fun exercise in itself and I've always said that if it ain't fun to you, then what's the purpose??? :?

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 11 May 2019 19:38

"Bargain boasting" may bring some blokes to a boil. But, I believe blogging about the best, beautiful, bargains, brings blissful joy to most beings. Broadcasting buys, beneficial or not, is beautiful; albeit boring and banal to some souls. :lol:

AdlerW
United States of America

Post by AdlerW » 12 May 2019 20:16

I'm selling all of mine because I want to save up for something really nice. :)

Right now I have one left and it will probably sell soon. I'm doing a reboot in terms of my vinyl equipment.

bp1950
United States of America

Post by bp1950 » 04 Jun 2019 03:10

I've got three working tables, but only really use my VPI Aries Extended w/JMW12 arm.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 04 Jun 2019 03:25

I only have one turntable.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jun 2019 03:45

truedeth wrote:
04 Jun 2019 03:25
Don't worry, truedeth...Stay with this hobby and that will change! :wink:

My magic number is 33 at the moment and except for two that I paid full price for (and don't use anymore), all of them have been under $100 with most under $50! :D

Remember, this is garage sale/estate sale/flea market season, so keep a lookout for items you can use on the cheap! :wink:

And if you've got the time, the inclination, the manuals and a few tools, buying and maintaining these old machines can be a lot of fun! Of course, I have an equal love for the gear, the music and just collecting old stuff in general...I blame it on all those flea market, garage sale and thrift store trips my parents took me on when I was younger! :wink:

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 04 Jun 2019 05:24

vinyl master wrote:
04 Jun 2019 03:45
truedeth wrote:
04 Jun 2019 03:25
Don't worry, truedeth...Stay with this hobby and that will change! :wink:

My magic number is 33 at the moment and except for two that I paid full price for (and don't use anymore), all of them have been under $100 with most under $50! :D

Remember, this is garage sale/estate sale/flea market season, so keep a lookout for items you can use on the cheap! :wink:

And if you've got the time, the inclination, the manuals and a few tools, buying and maintaining these old machines can be a lot of fun! Of course, I have an equal love for the gear, the music and just collecting old stuff in general...I blame it on all those flea market, garage sale and thrift store trips my parents took me on when I was younger! :wink:
I don't think I can go back from a direct drive automatic optical sensor turntable!! I think this might be my lifetime turntable. But you are right and rummage season is on us! I have to be more proactive and bike around town to each one this year.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jun 2019 05:44

truedeth wrote:
04 Jun 2019 05:24

I don't think I can go back from a direct drive automatic optical sensor turntable!! I think this might be my lifetime turntable. But you are right and rummage season is on us! I have to be more proactive and bike around town to each one this year.
You know, that's OK, too, if you've found the ONE you love! Don't forget, though, that those places can also yield a lot of great used records! :wink:

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 04 Jun 2019 16:09

vinyl master wrote:
04 Jun 2019 05:44
truedeth wrote:
04 Jun 2019 05:24

You know, that's OK, too, if you've found the ONE you love! Don't forget, though, that those places can also yield a lot of great used records! :wink:
That's the reason I want to go out and search! 🎉

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 04 Jun 2019 18:50

Not trying to justify owning more than one table, but, what's interesting, and fun, about owning more than one turntable, is that, if you have the room, the time and patience, to set up a few tables, you can actually test cartridges for the best sound; one can actually learn the "feel" of a cartridge, the turntable, the tone arm, and even the rest of the system, as you switch from table to table. It may seem a little extravagant to own several tables, but I find it fascinating and entertaining to "play" with the components of a system.... part of the fun of this hobby, I should think.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 05 Jun 2019 15:53

I'm up to 16 now...and considering another :shock:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jun 2019 18:43

jdjohn wrote:
05 Jun 2019 15:53
I'm up to 16 now...and considering another :shock:
If you're looking for a good project, Jody, this set could be worth it for $50...I have one of those SX-450's and I love it! It was a cheap deal, too! :wink:

https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 18611.html

Of course, for $50, there is this Dual project here...Looks like a 1218! =D>

https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 70551.html

Then again, this one is blooer than Tonybro's Blooey! Priced to sell, too! :D

https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 14334.html

A few thoughts in any case, if you're interested!

By the way, which ones have been your favorites so far? :-k

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 08 Jun 2019 00:56

I've seen all those local items on CL, Tony :wink: but don't need any MORE projects right now!

Honestly, this Systemdek IIX is one I've watched with interest:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 98336.html

Or this Mission 775S:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 74493.html

Some of my current in-house favorites:
- Project/One DR-770 - semi-auto DD made by CEC

- Realistic Lab-440 - fully-auto DD also made by CEC

- Technics SL-Q5 - cute little DD linear tracker with great specs, and most importantly, my wife's favorite :D

- Duals: 1229Q, 1249, 721 - I feel like with these, I have Dual's TOTL for each drive method.

- Clearaudio Concept w/ MC - the only one I own made in this century :lol: and it sounds sublime; not sure if it's the cartridge, or the tt that makes it sound so good; I got a great deal IMO on this one, or else would not have bothered.

- Logic DM-101 w/ Micro Seiki MA-505 tonearm - my current favorite; I really like the suspended sub-chassis in sound and concept; after working on a friend's Thorens TD-160, I found a real appreciation for suspended sub-chassis tt's.

Honorable mention to my Kenwood KD-500 "The Rock" w/ Mayware Formula IV tonearm - legendary DD deck, and probably my heaviest turntable with its (literally) solid molded plinth made from a material similar to Corian countertops.

Starwarrior
United States of America

Post by Starwarrior » 09 Jun 2019 06:48

WoW! There are some incredible numbers being tallied. It makes me wonder how many are part of a personal collection as opposed to how many actually get fired up and listened too on occasion. From an audiophile's personal collection standpoint I can understand a few that may be dedicated to specific cartridges or speed settings but should the dusty remnants from grandpa's old electronics shop really be included in this count? As for myself I have two, a Thorens TD-124 and a Music Hall 7.3. I figure a 55-year-old turntable could go on the fritz for any multitude of reasons and at any given moment, so I keep two up and running. The problem is that I end up spending more time comparing and less time listening, which is in retrospect the soul purpose of owning a turntable in the first place. BTW, the TD-124 wins hands down every time.

chgc

Post by chgc » 16 Jun 2019 01:54

I readily admit that I have way more turntables than I need, but most of them do get played. I have a thing for compact linear trackers so it’s pretty easy to set them up all over the place. I don’t have any in the bathroom, but I do have two in the office and two in the living room, as well as kitchen and garage. This makes it hard to keep records organized, but I can listen late at night because I’m usually only a few feet from a stereo.