Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
boris of tick fen

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by boris of tick fen » 29 May 2019 18:55

DarthMaul wrote:
26 May 2019 20:25
My one and only Telemann album, "3 Concertos & Suite Concertante". By the way, how is "concertante" pronounced?

I've always heard it pronounced Conchertantay.
Hope you enjoyed all that nice Handel keyboard music - lots of treasures there.
Do you know the concerti a due cori?
Well worth listening to. You would probably enjoy Raymond Leppard's recording.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 29 May 2019 21:36

I bet one of supreme analogs hand machined record pucks would only better your set up?
https://www.thesilo.ca/supreme-analog-v ... -trending/
DarthMaul wrote:
29 May 2019 12:59
The record was flat. Might need to oil the underside of the subplatter.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 29 May 2019 21:47

Gravitar8 wrote:
29 May 2019 21:36
I bet one of supreme analogs hand machined record pucks would only better your set up?
DarthMaul wrote:
Maybe. I doubt it. I figured that with that Handel record, the inner groove distortion was inherent in the vinyl. I will move on to the next one.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 29 May 2019 22:33

I am not in the know when it comes to inner groove distortion...one thing the SL-15 (and most quality linear trackers do) is track great from start to end. I have a Garrard Zero that I have been told has an interesting design to deal with inner and outer groove distortion- something to do with the tracking angle of the stylus etc.
Before I stumbled on my SL-15 (a sto
DarthMaul wrote:
29 May 2019 21:47
Gravitar8 wrote:
DarthMaul wrote:
Maybe. I doubt it. I figured that with that Handel record, the inner groove distortion was inherent in the vinyl. I will move on to the next one.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 29 May 2019 22:33

How is this staying on track for the thread? Easy :) Classical Music LP vs "Rock and other Genres"- way more dynamic range, way more silent passages, way more demands on a playback system imho.

I am not in the know when it comes to inner groove distortion...one thing the SL-15 (and most quality linear trackers do) is track great from start to end. I have a Garrard Zero that I have been told has an interesting design to deal with inner and outer groove distortion- something to do with the tracking angle of the stylus etc.
Before I stumbled on my SL-15 (a story for another thread) I pretty much counted on using a record clamp I found they added much to the playback experience. Possibly mumbo jumbo but something was there- inkier blacks, quieter groove in and out.
DarthMaul wrote:
29 May 2019 21:47
Gravitar8 wrote:
DarthMaul wrote:

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 30 May 2019 01:33

Well, I don't have a heavy record clamp. I have a lighter rubber one, but that one probably isn't of much help. Trying not to spend money on anything until my paycheck.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 30 May 2019 01:34

Last Paillard record until the Bach albums. Handel's Royal Fireworks music. Two concertos are on the flip. The album cover reveals what they are.
IMG_3484.jpg
(156.65 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 30 May 2019 03:39

DarthMaul wrote:
30 May 2019 01:34
Last Paillard record until the Bach albums. Handel's Royal Fireworks music. Two concertos are on the flip. The album cover reveals what they are.

IMG_3484.jpg
Having speed fluctuation issues. Need to wait for my new belt to arrive. Cancelling play as the speed fluctuations are getting to be too much to bear. No more record plays until then. This is what I get for removing the belt too many times as I had to stretch it to get it on.

In the interim, if I decide to play a record, I will bring down my Technics SL-1200MK2. There's a small table in the basement I can use to set it up with so the Thorens doesn't get moved, and I've got a smaller amplifier I can hook up to the main one through the smaller amplifier's tape-out. (Phono input on the small amplifier and tape or CD input on the main.) Might use it for the mono release of Revolver, which I will probably do. No more classical records until I get my new belt. One was ordered from eBay, and tonight I ordered one from Thakker. They only had the Thakker belt kit available, and not the original Thorens belt. I have removed the belt and the tonearm wand to remind myself I can't be playing records on the Thorens for now. I will redo the last harpsichord side, the Water Music and Music of the Royal Fireworks when the speed fluctuation problem is gone.

Much of my time will be spent on gaming as a result.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 30 May 2019 12:13

Bummer...but Revolver on a 1200 is a good consolation prize! Keep us updated and maybe share pics when you get around to installing the belt?
DarthMaul wrote:
30 May 2019 03:39
DarthMaul wrote:

IMG_3484.jpg
Having speed fluctuation issues. Need to wait for my new belt to arrive. Cancelling play as the speed fluctuations are getting to be too much to bear. No more record plays until then. This is what I get for removing the belt too many times as I had to stretch it to get it on.

In the interim, if I decide to play a record, I will bring down my Technics SL-1200MK2. There's a small table in the basement I can use to set it up with so the Thorens doesn't get moved, and I've got a smaller amplifier I can hook up to the main one through the smaller amplifier's tape-out. (Phono input on the small amplifier and tape or CD input on the main.) Might use it for the mono release of Revolver, which I will probably do. No more classical records until I get my new belt. One was ordered from eBay, and tonight I ordered one from Thakker. They only had the Thakker belt kit available, and not the original Thorens belt. I have removed the belt and the tonearm wand to remind myself I can't be playing records on the Thorens for now. I will redo the last harpsichord side, the Water Music and Music of the Royal Fireworks when the speed fluctuation problem is gone.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 31 May 2019 01:27

Gravitar8 wrote:
30 May 2019 12:13
Bummer...but Revolver on a 1200 is a good consolation prize! Keep us updated and maybe share pics when you get around to installing the belt?
DarthMaul wrote:
DarthMaul wrote:

IMG_3484.jpg

I am likely to not sure pictures, but I will think about it. If that does not solve the problem, then I'm going the replacement motor route. The motor is another potential culprit. It does have problems starting. A pulley and rubber motor mount were bought, and so there will be no need for pulley removal. (Thank God.) But that uses up most of my next paycheck, so I won't be doing any online purchases except for the occasional mp3 on Amazon or the iTunes store.

For now, the extra motor, pulley and rubber mount will only be for just in case. All else fails, I will have the turntable sent to "ddarch" in NH.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 31 May 2019 03:24

That's tough Darth but a 1200 is no slouch.

I use mine with a number of different cartridges and it is pretty decent sounding. Not as good as my entry level Clearaudio but very decent depending on cartridge. Pitch is always dead nuts and classical always sounds good on there. I am big on classical piano, especially piano concertos from the classical and romantic eras.

That said, I am starting with Mahler tonight on the Clearaudio. Starting with the DG Kubelik 2nd on LP. I will likely put on my DG Mahler "Festival of Hits" lp next which has pieces from #5, 1,2,3 and 8. Oddly not the 4th which is surely a Greatest Hit".

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 31 May 2019 17:39

table.jpg
(179.23 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 31 May 2019 20:25

DarthMaul wrote:
31 May 2019 01:27
Gravitar8 wrote:
30 May 2019 12:13
DarthMaul wrote:

I am likely to not sure pictures, but I will think about it. If that does not solve the problem, then I'm going the replacement motor route. The motor is another potential culprit. It does have problems starting. A pulley and rubber motor mount were bought, and so there will be no need for pulley removal. (Thank God.) But that uses up most of my next paycheck, so I won't be doing any online purchases except for the occasional mp3 on Amazon or the iTunes store.

For now, the extra motor, pulley and rubber mount will only be for just in case. All else fails, I will have the turntable sent to "ddarch" in NH.
Motor is working fine again, not giving me trouble starting it. Need to test for speed issues again.

boris of tick fen

Post by boris of tick fen » 31 May 2019 22:04

DarthMaul wrote:

IMG_3484.jpg
Glad to see that one of the concerti a due cori is in your collection.
Hope the belt problem is sorted soon!

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 31 May 2019 23:07

A new belt is coming tomorrow. Boiled the old belt in water for 4 minutes yesterday to see if it would improve any. It seemed to tighten it a bit. It still slides down when the platter is on, but not with it off as far as I could observe. However, the major speed stability improvement occurred when the motor's problem went away.