Custom Record Player Inquiry - Speed Change

snap, crackle and pop
rickychadwick
United States of America

Custom Record Player Inquiry - Speed Change

Post by rickychadwick » 25 May 2019 04:37

Hey guys, my name is Eric and I'm an installation artist based in New York.

I've been researching a bunch on how to customize a record player and I came across this great forum. I was wondering if anyone would know how to customize the motor speed of a record player. Basically I would like to be able to program a record player to run at different speeds at different times. For instance run at 1/5 speed for 5 minutes, then 3/5 speed for 10 minutes then 3X speed for 10 minutes.

I haven't bought anything yet but I'm guessing the project will entail modifying the voltage of a DC motor through an Arduino or something similar.

I'm looking to hire someone who could advise me on this project or ideally build the parts/pieces for me.

Thanks for anyones input!
Eric Lawton

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Custom Record Player Inquiry - Speed Change

Post by JoeE SP9 » 25 May 2019 23:46

I know that others are wondering as am I. Why in the world do you want to do this?

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 26 May 2019 02:26

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forum.

I, as Joe am wondering what you would do with such a thing. It certainly is doable and I might be able to help.

I am a pretty good analog guy, but not so much with writing code or programming an Arduino. The easiest approach which I can think of is to secure a turntable with a servo controlled DC motor which is RC timed with speed potentiometers (no quartz lock). The existing pot(s) would be replaced with trim pots and fixed resistors switched by transmission gates switched by logic levels from the Arduino.

I am in the middle of repairing a turntable for someone on this forum and I must finish that before I take on another project.

Phil

rickychadwick wrote:
25 May 2019 04:37

I've been researching a bunch on how to customize a record player and I came across this great forum. I was wondering if anyone would know how to customize the motor speed of a record player. Basically I would like to be able to program a record player to run at different speeds at different times. For instance run at 1/5 speed for 5 minutes, then 3/5 speed for 10 minutes then 3X speed for 10 minutes.

I haven't bought anything yet but I'm guessing the project will entail modifying the voltage of a DC motor through an Arduino or something similar.

I'm looking to hire someone who could advise me on this project or ideally build the parts/pieces for me.

Eric Lawton

rickychadwick
United States of America

Post by rickychadwick » 26 May 2019 05:57

JoeE SP9 wrote:
25 May 2019 23:46
I know that others are wondering as am I. Why in the world do you want to do this?
:D a lot of my work revolves around the way time changes our perception of the world and specifically our own reference of time. The project I'm working on is about how a cultural item, such as music, can be drastically altered by changing the tempo and speed of its operation.

All of that is to say, changing the speed of a record can make what once was a happy and joyful song into something much darker and macabre, and vice versa which is what I'm exploring.

rickychadwick
United States of America

Post by rickychadwick » 26 May 2019 06:12

Coffee Phil wrote:
26 May 2019 02:26
Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forum.

I, as Joe am wondering what you would do with such a thing. It certainly is doable and I might be able to help.

I am a pretty good analog guy, but not so much with writing code or programming an Arduino. The easiest approach which I can think of is to secure a turntable with a servo controlled DC motor which is RC timed with speed potentiometers (no quartz lock). The existing pot(s) would be replaced with trim pots and fixed resistors switched by transmission gates switched by logic levels from the Arduino.

I am in the middle of repairing a turntable for someone on this forum and I must finish that before I take on another project.

Phil

rickychadwick wrote:
25 May 2019 04:37

Eric Lawton
Thanks Phil,

That sounds like a great start. Please reach back out when you're finished with your current project. I can explain more in detail what/why I'm interested in.

Best,
Eric

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 26 May 2019 13:23

rickychadwick wrote:
26 May 2019 05:57
JoeE SP9 wrote:
25 May 2019 23:46
:D a lot of my work revolves around the way time changes our perception of the world and specifically our own reference of time. The project I'm working on is about how a cultural item, such as music, can be drastically altered by changing the tempo and speed of its operation.

All of that is to say, changing the speed of a record can make what once was a happy and joyful song into something much darker and macabre, and vice versa which is what I'm exploring.
Cool! Just be careful about playing stuff backwards. Those pesky devil worship messages may show up. :mrgreen: