AR XA Serial #139133 Information

american simplicity
dixiejaz
United States of America

AR XA Serial #139133 Information

Post by dixiejaz » 18 May 2019 20:30

Hello,
I purchased this AR XA Turntable NEW, many years ago. (Yeah, I'm an old dude) I will shortly begin cleaning and re-oiling the tone arm shaft and main motor shaft and cleaning the platters. I've never had the cardboard bottom removed, so I don't know if it has one or two motors. I have new belt replacements for, both, if necessary. The Top of the unit is a grainy brown metal surface (that looks oxidized) that I'd also like to clean. Can anyone suggest what cleaner/polish I should use for this application?

Any other information on this unit (date of manufacture, owners manual, etc.) would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Ben
USA

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: AR XA Serial #139133 Information

Post by pivot » 18 May 2019 21:24

If you take off the outer platter you can see if it is two motor or one. The motor pulleys are both beneath the outer platter if it is two motor. AR XA had a rubbery coating on the top plate that goes all gooey with age, bet that is what you are seeing on the plate. Standard approach is to remove the plate and strip it with pant stripper and repaint. I used Rustolum Hammer Tone black on mine recently and rather like the results. Early XA had a solid walnut wood plinth while later XA and XB had a particle board plinth with veneer.

dixiejaz
United States of America

Post by dixiejaz » 20 May 2019 22:27

Thank you.
As it turns out, it's a one motor unit. I'm afraid I'm a little apprehensive about
unassembling the top for resurfacing. I'd prefer just to clean it. if possible.
Thanks again for your help,
dixiejaz

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 21 May 2019 16:05

To get the AR to sound it's best you have to understand it. Best way to understand is to dismantle it and resemble a couple times. No magic mojo under the hood just some clever engineering. At the very least you need to take the platter off and re-oil the main bearing.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 21 May 2019 23:02

I agree with Pivot but I also understand your apprehension. But as said there is no 'black-art tuning magic' at work here.

You will need to do this eventually so why not be thorough and do this just once from the start...

Sketches or better still, photos, will assist you to get it all back together properly once it is painted, cleaned and buffed back into shape. Even if you're not really the diy type, you will enjoy the process :D

I don't know any other table that gives as much 'love' back for the effort.

dixiejaz
United States of America

Post by dixiejaz » 23 May 2019 19:32

Thanks, Guys for your input.
I'm going to do an AR XA "Lite" Restoration:
https://vinylnirvana.com/ar-turntable-r ... o-an-ar-xa.

I have a friend who also has a AR XA, and we will pursue this project together. I've ordered all
of the supplies mentioned in the video. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again,
Ben