A cartridge/needle for Technics SL-Q202

turning japanese
Luxman78
Croatia

Re: A cartridge/needle for Technics SL-Q202

Post by Luxman78 » 21 May 2019 20:43

KentT wrote:
21 May 2019 04:37
A suggestion first. The OM ProS, on my Technics SL-1500, tracks anything it will track equally well at 2 grams as it does heavier. This is with the stock tonearm. Try it, you won't hurt anything. Also, being that this is an Ortofon OM you're dealing with, no harm in using a Stylus 1s, Stylus 3e, 5e, or Stylus 10 on it, which makes it a HiFi cartridge. You could even install a Stylus 20, Stylus 30 or even Stylus 40 if you wanted to spend that investment. You have the most versatile Ortofon MM cartridge. Which for many outperforms and outtracks the Ortofon 2M line, and better OM styli from 10 on give Grado a run for their money, and less finicky. Why not a Stylus 3e or 5e, both can be had within your budget.
Thank you KentT! My cartridge is not OM, it is Concorde ProS. I don't have anything against it, but I figured if my tone arm weight doesn't even go as far as 5g, it's probably not for me. I don't have problems with tracking. My records are not skipping and this is a TT for home audio. I wouldn't use 2g on a stylus with 5g recommended.

But if this cartridge can take a stylus that is more suited to home audio, I'd be glad to use it, it would actually save me some money. I wouldn't have to buy the headshell and cartridge.

I could get 3E and 5E. Could I use these on a Concorde cartridge. If it was OM, I wouldn't even ask about it.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 22 May 2019 14:10

ProS in Concorde is still OM, accepts any OM stylus (the main exceptions are S-120 and QBert). Yes a Stylus 3E or 5E will fit and work fine with a Concorde. They're compatible.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 22 May 2019 15:24

KentT wrote:
22 May 2019 14:10
ProS in Concorde is still OM, accepts any OM stylus (the main exceptions are S-120 and QBert). Yes a Stylus 3E or 5E will fit and work fine with a Concorde. They're compatible.
!

That's very good news. Tell me, please, if you don't expect a lot of vibrations, if you don't need to scratch and make sure the stylus doesn't skip, if you're only interested in sound and if you were looking for a versatile stylus to play some classical, some blues and some hard rock for home audio use, which one would you recommend?

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 23 May 2019 01:59

Stylus 10 for classical and hard rock fine. Blues depends on era, and pressings. The blues records I play are often as not 45 RPM singles as far back as the 1950's. Those need conicals, sometimes even 2.7 mil with a few odd labels like Sun pre 1955, Duke, Meteor and similar, otherwise .7 and 1 mil styli. LP discs depends on whether it's 1950's to mid 1960's originals or modern pressings. I keep different stylus options around for my record needs, and for archival work/transfers.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 23 May 2019 10:29

KentT wrote:
23 May 2019 01:59
Stylus 10 for classical and hard rock fine. Blues depends on era, and pressings. The blues records I play are often as not 45 RPM singles as far back as the 1950's. Those need conicals, sometimes even 2.7 mil with a few odd labels like Sun pre 1955, Duke, Meteor and similar, otherwise .7 and 1 mil styli. LP discs depends on whether it's 1950's to mid 1960's originals or modern pressings. I keep different stylus options around for my record needs, and for archival work/transfers.
I respect your recomms and thank you for your time and effort. Stylus 10 is at the very top of my budget (I already spent on a new headshell and an AT cartridge), then again, it's not a true "all-rounder". But it's not old pressings I have, it's some Moore, Iglesias Sr. and Santana... stuff like that.

Also, I have to ask, Concorde ProS head/cartrdige has compliance of 7 μm/m which is at the lower end, but the replacement styli you've recommended are in the high end of compliance, for example; Stylus10 is 25 µm/mN. Shouldn't this be a problem? Namely, I aim at a lot of stress on the stylus if records are even slightly warped and this can not be avoided always.

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 25 May 2019 16:13

Luxman78 wrote:
23 May 2019 10:29
KentT wrote:
23 May 2019 01:59
I respect your recomms and thank you for your time and effort. Stylus 10 is at the very top of my budget (I already spent on a new headshell and an AT cartridge), then again, it's not a true "all-rounder". But it's not old pressings I have, it's some Moore, Iglesias Sr. and Santana... stuff like that.

Also, I have to ask, Concorde ProS head/cartrdige has compliance of 7 μm/m which is at the lower end, but the replacement styli you've recommended are in the high end of compliance, for example; Stylus10 is 25 µm/mN. Shouldn't this be a problem? Namely, I aim at a lot of stress on the stylus if records are even slightly warped and this can not be avoided always.
Please don't mind if I bump this question; this different compliance is really bugging me. I still haven't bought the stylus as I was waiting to hear from you experts.

Thank you!

Luxman78
Croatia

Post by Luxman78 » 05 Jun 2019 10:48

Well, since no one replied and I couldn't wait any longer, I went with the Ortofon OM 5 Stylus that can fit the Concorde ProS cartridge according to the manufacturers site. Still, that doesn't mean it will fit every arm, I'll have to experiment a little bit. Resonant frequency can still be unsatisfactory when you take the relative tone arm mass into account. Hopefully it'll work fine.