Direct drive directions?

snap, crackle and pop
simonineaston
Great Britain

Direct drive directions?

Post by simonineaston » 19 May 2019 20:09

Hi folks, happy as I am with my belt drive beauty, I would like to try a direct drive tt before (as my dear old man used to put it, "it is too late..."). I'm aware of modern twists on the dd theme - I'm thinking Brinkmann - but would like to try vintage Japanese. The obvious name that comes up again and again is the Technics SP series, the 110/120 especialy, but I imagine that the other main players (Denon, Trio, Pioneer, Sony - Garrard even?) may have made great dd turntables which I shouldn't ignore - any thoughts?

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Direct drive directions?

Post by circularvibes » 19 May 2019 22:34

I have previously enjoyed a Denon DP 1200 and have high praise for some of the JVC/Victor models. There were a few really nice Sonys as well. Sanyo made a few too. Try browsing the Japanese Yahoo auction site in Google so you get real time translation to english.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 19 May 2019 23:30

I've owned several nice belt drives over the years. Then I experienced a quality Japan DD. Now I own zero BD's; as I have since given them all away.

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 20 May 2019 00:04

You might look into Kenwood/Trio, who made several interesting DDs. I own a KD-4100, which I know was sold in Europe because mine is a dual-voltage with a UK-type plug with an adapter on it. Excellent, and full auto besides.

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 20 May 2019 17:11

Thanks... no-one's mentioned micro seiki yet - is that 'cos they're a bit rarified, that is to say, too many buyers after too few examples and so tend to be over-priced? The guy I bought my SME from was mad-keen for one and now has one of those jobbies you can add multiple arms to. I'm not that keen that I need multiple arms, but I do recall he was an engineer & said that micro seiki products were very well built.

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 20 May 2019 17:19

Unfortunately, yes - Micro Seiki TTs of all sorts (even the less-than-special ones) change hands for outrageous prices. I've owned two and was surprised at the prices I sold them for. Their better units are certainly high-quality, but even middling units go for big bucks (or pounds or drachmas or what have you). Scarcity may be a part of it, but even more is the mystique associated with the name.

kavka

Post by kavka » 20 May 2019 18:57

Fisher MT 6225.
I have Thorens, Lenco and some others, but Fisher is my main table since I bought it.
Gorazd

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 May 2019 19:03

Microsneeki also oem'ed for other companies. The obvious best and well know choices are Technics, Sony, and Pioneer. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the vintage units if they've been serviced. They may be 35+ years old, but will outlast most new stuff.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 20 May 2019 19:58

Well summed up....it is hard to go wrong with any of the mid to top of line offerings from any of the recognized names...Nice additional information concerning the "exotic" allure attached to a few brands, including Micro Seiki....as noted, not significantly different than many of the brands it actually built TTs for....the quality of the build is significant, the brand name less so. Previously posted was an article titled "The Web of Japanese Manufacturers".....very revealing as to the shared parts and technology of many of the vintage electronics. Thus, pretty safe to plug in with just about anything that appeals to you. Other than an occasionally problematic model to avoid, very difficult to go wrong....and like many of us, you may just begin a love affair with Japanese built direct drive turntables. Enjoy the experience! 8)

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 20 May 2019 20:32

I will add C.E.C. turntables to this list. They did lots of OEM work for several brands, and sold a few models under their own name as well. I have a couple of direct drives that were made by them, and they are some of the favorites in my collection.

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 20 May 2019 21:12

This tendancy in the Japanese industry to use key elements supplied by a core of manufacturers is similar to my experience of vintage binoculars from a small number of Japanese optical factories. Binoculars (& other optical instruments) made in the '60s thru' '80s had letter & number codes that identified where the frame and the lenses were made & where they were assembled. A few makers did the bulk of the work for several well-known brand names. Seems to have worked well, for their export trade.

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 31 May 2019 18:31

Post Script - ended up with a tidy Technics SL-150 :-)