Dealing with idiots.

snap, crackle and pop
Dadrepus

Dealing with idiots.

Post by Dadrepus » 18 May 2019 20:31

So, I sold one of my BIC turntables a couple of days ago via Ebay. The buyer gets back to me to say there wasn't a needle in the cartridge and proceeds to send me pictures of a bare cart without the needle/plastic housing of the AT cart. Going on with his explanation that he removed the plastic cover (which there was none as it was not an unplayed cartridge) via the instructions from the user manual which I sent along. Stupid me for sending it. Now he wants me to buy him a new needle or suffer a negative review.

No amount of explaining that he removed the needle when he removed the plastic part will assuage him. I think he broke the needle and doesn't want to admit it. He refuses to send me a picture of that part he removed and threatened a bad score with eBay. I am 100% positive.

So, I called Ebay, they read the entire back and forth and agree with me. Anybody else have these eBay horror stories?

vinylrayk
United States of America

Re: Dealing with idiots.

Post by vinylrayk » 18 May 2019 21:02

This person could be an idiot or, perhaps worse, dis-honest. My biggest problem has been as a buyer from people who have no sense of how to pack, and the equipment arrived trashed in the box. I suppose some day it will be my turn to deal with a buyer like yours. Part of the risk of using that auction site, I guess.

Ray K

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 18 May 2019 22:08

Ebay frowns on negotiating good scores. Now they will deal with him. Oh, yea, the funniest part, he says "I'm a lawyer, don't mess with me."

Al

gmoodyii
United States of America

Post by gmoodyii » 19 May 2019 01:21

"I'm a lawyer, don't mess with me" translates to, I just bought my first turntable and have no idea what I am doing. I am going to blame someone else for my incompetence.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 19 May 2019 01:41

I bought a 78 record via ebay. On payment, I requested he pay attention to the packing, emphasizing how vulnerable shellac disks are to damage, and gave some links to guides for posting 78s. His reply assured me that he knew what he was doing. Guess what? The disk arrived in a plain manila envelope, not even some bubble-wrap or cardboard to protect it. Even more amazing, the disc was undamaged!

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 19 May 2019 02:14

Dadrepus wrote:
18 May 2019 22:08
Ebay frowns on negotiating good scores. Now they will deal with him. Oh, yea, the funniest part, he says "I'm a lawyer, don't mess with me."

Al
Is it possible to include in your eBay profile a summary of your experience with this cockroach? This way, if your rating is impacted by this, your less than 100% rating will be explained.

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 19 May 2019 02:33

I once sold an analog camera (Pentax 67) with two lenses. It had a fault, which was the the film would not be advanced when you operated the lever. The shutter was cocked and did release, the counter did work etc. but the film would not be spooled through the camera.
I did mention that in the description - and there were some small dents on the camera body, which i didn´t mention in the description but they were clearly visible on the pictures i had taken of the camera and put into the description.

So the camera was sold, i sent it out well packed and then it started:
The guy who bought it began to complain: Yes, the dents on the camera body weren´t mentioned in the description. And someone had partially repainted the camera body (not me) and this would mean a reduction of value.
Now he had gotten the camera and two lenses for like 80$, while a single camera body without lenses but being way more scratched, dented and defective went for like 120$ on ebay back then. He had made a real bargain, there wasn´t any other Pentax 67 near to my offer regarding condition and pricing, but he insisted that the repainted parts of the camera do reduce value.
He even claimed that the Pentax-logo on the camera-prism had been repainted with black paint, because usually the Pentax-logo is silver, which to his opinion also was reducing value of the camera.
So i sat for hours in front of my computer researching other auctions, camera condition and pricing to show him that he just had made a huge bargain. I even mannaged to find out that this Pentax-camera actually was offered with a black Pentax-logo back when it was new, but only in japan. All the Pentaxes 67 going outside of japan had a silver Pentax-logo, but the Pentaxes 67 inside japan were offered with a black Pentax-logo - which did mean that the Pentax 67 i had sold did not have a repaint on the Pentax-logo but was original color aaaaaaaaand because of that even more valueable, because as it seems a lot more Pentax 67s had been sold with a silver logo and not with a black one.

I gave him the explanation, the links for other auctions proving that he really had made a bargain and that other Pentaxes are sold for a lot more money while being in much worse condition without lenses and that this Pentax even was more valuable because it had the rare black Pentax-logo and that the dents on the camera body were clearly visible on the pictures of the auction -
but he insisted. He said he wanted me to react the way ebay does dictate, which was either making a refund or giving a discount back then - and i think he wanted my answer within 24 hours or so, he tried to put me under pressure.

Then it became clear to me what probably had happened:
The buyer probably hadn´t noticed that i had described the defective film advance and when he found out he started to look for reasons so i would give him a discount.
So i said: The price he had payed is veeery favourable and i won´t give him a discount, but if he wasn´t happy with the bargain he just made i willingly do a refund.

He did not answer, kept the camera and didn´t gave feedback - since then i always state "pictures belong to the items description" in my auctions.

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 19 May 2019 06:27

Well, he just tried to do a complete refund, claiming a missing piece that I did not tell him about (the needle). I called eBay we went over the emails that went back and forth and since they saw he had altered the item (removed the plastic piece that housed the needle) he was unable to return the item as delivered. So, no return allowance issued. It seems that if a buyer alters a product without first contacting the seller, he cannot return it. I guess its the old "You broke it, you bought it."

motrctyman

Post by motrctyman » 19 May 2019 14:54

I have had numerous horror stories from selling record players on eBay. I got a request for a return on one turntable due to cracked dust cover. And I mean, this thing was freaking destroyed. Most all of my rebuilds include a new dust cover, unless I can fully polish one to like-new condition. I had pictures of packaging it, including building a styrofoam casing around it, then packaging with air packs.

Here is where it gets pretty cool. In the picture he sent to me requesting the full refund, there is a very clear imprint of his shoe right in the middle of the dust cover. He didn't take the time to wipe it off. Also, the idiot didn't remove the dust cover first, so he destroyed the plinth/veneer job I had done in the process. Because he was an international buyer, it wasn't going to come out of my pocket and I should not have cared, but instead, I contacted eBay to show them what he had done. They refused his refund request and he was unable to rate me due to the conflict. So, of course, I told him that I ratted him out.

I guess international buyers are notorious for doing this as 99 times out of 100 it seems that eBay automatically refunds the purchase price. This dude was looking to get his $500 back, replace a $100 dust cover, and have an extra $400 to boot. Now he was out his money, busted $500 record player, and had to buy a new dust cover.

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 19 May 2019 16:04

I've now sold about 500 items on e-bay. Records, electronics and model train stuff. At first I sold world wide. Then I had someone in Italy claim they never received their item. I should have known something was up when they requested the lowest cost shipping possible. So no tracking. Then I had some one pull the same thing in Greece. I will not sell to anyone in Greece or Italy. So they are excluded from the auctions. Sorry.
So now I only ship with tracking. If it goes over seas it is through e-bay's global shipping, not direct and I take copious pictures. Proof that what was sold is what they were shipped. I will send a few pictures to the buyer when I'm packing up fragile items through e-bay. So if you try to scam me, it will not work.
Since implementing these rules, I've never had anyone try again
Mike M

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 19 May 2019 17:59

Worth bearing in mind that ebay employees are allowed to hold an account and buy and sell. A friend recently sold a turntable to a chap who is a manager in the same department he buys and sells in. He gives a large number of negatives and neutrals and on many occasions he gets part and full refunds. He also seems (strangely) to be the only bidder on auctions that start at 99p, he then gives negatives when the sellers won't give him expensive items he somehow manages to get for peanuts. This lovely chap is a member here and on other Hi-Fi forums.

Ebay has changed a lot since its inception, the place has quite a few members that are there just to rip folk off.

I once received a Garrard 4HF in a large envelope, thing wasn't even padded, and once a Marantz amplifier wrapped just in brown paper. Some folk are dishonest, some just deeply dumb.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 20 May 2019 05:39

motrctyman wrote:
19 May 2019 14:54
I have had numerous horror stories from selling record players on eBay. I got a request for a return on one turntable due to cracked dust cover. And I mean, this thing was freaking destroyed. Most all of my rebuilds include a new dust cover, unless I can fully polish one to like-new condition. I had pictures of packaging it, including building a styrofoam casing around it, then packaging with air packs.

Here is where it gets pretty cool. In the picture he sent to me requesting the full refund, there is a very clear imprint of his shoe right in the middle of the dust cover. He didn't take the time to wipe it off. Also, the idiot didn't remove the dust cover first, so he destroyed the plinth/veneer job I had done in the process. Because he was an international buyer, it wasn't going to come out of my pocket and I should not have cared, but instead, I contacted eBay to show them what he had done. They refused his refund request and he was unable to rate me due to the conflict. So, of course, I told him that I ratted him out.

I guess international buyers are notorious for doing this as 99 times out of 100 it seems that eBay automatically refunds the purchase price. This dude was looking to get his $500 back, replace a $100 dust cover, and have an extra $400 to boot. Now he was out his money, busted $500 record player, and had to buy a new dust cover.
This is blatant.

On the other hand, if the dustcover really had been damaged during shipment you only would have had to pay for replacement of the dustcover. Therefore i don´t understand what the buyer was thinking in the first place.

I just remembered another story:

I bougth a tape deck off ebay and the seller said that it "has no flaws in a technical sense but some scratches on the housing". Now when private persons sell an old tape deck they usually say stuff like "still sound goods" "does turn/run" etc. . But this guy only did sell tape decks and tape machines, had a picture of several tape machines as his ebay-member-picture and said its technically flawless - so i considered him to be competent.
I never have seen such a dirty tape-drive like in this deck. Of course it had bad audible w+f, though this deck is supposed to have just 0.09% w+f as specs, the paint meant to hold the screw for adjusting azimuth had broken and azimuth was off and after i had cleaned the tape drive i could see that the chrome coating of the capstan had been worn off at both edges of the tape and the surface of the head was totally blurred. This deck had been played to death.
He then started to look for excuses, he told me that a worn head can be the result of shipment-vibrations etc. .

Unfortunately for him he allready had rated me positive because i´m a fast payer, so i could give him negative feedback .

Damien Taylor

Post by Damien Taylor » 20 May 2019 07:33

theclosetguy wrote:
19 May 2019 16:04
I will not sell to anyone in Greece or Italy.
Not that this was the case in your experience but many sellers will not sell to Italy as the postal service is (was?) notoriously corrupt. Birthday cards will arrive with cash removed, items will be opened and have parts missing etc.

wojtekf
Poland

Post by wojtekf » 20 May 2019 09:04

Damien Taylor wrote:
20 May 2019 07:33
theclosetguy wrote:
19 May 2019 16:04
I will not sell to anyone in Greece or Italy.
Not that this was the case in your experience but many sellers will not sell to Italy as the postal service is (was?) notoriously corrupt. Birthday cards will arrive with cash removed, items will be opened and have parts missing etc.
Postal service can be unreliable all around the world and ban on specific countries is (in my opinion) an overkill.

I had the case of missing 4AD shipment (UK Royal Mail + Polish postal service), where the only option was shipping with no tracking (I would gladly select a different delivery, if possible). Should 4AD stop selling to Poland only because I claimed I never received the package? (which actually is true and annoyed me royally, this was the special anniversary edition of Pixies that got lost)

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 20 May 2019 09:40

Sending abroad also means higher fees. Both ebay and paypal will charge a percentage of the final price, which includes postage. Sold a Garrard 401 to Singapore, from the UK, cost me £130, ebay and paypal combined charged me 15% of that.

If anything goes wrong you would also have to shoulder the return postage. Anything I sell now goes to the UK only.

Not sure about Greece, but Italy is still a definite no go area. I spent some time there as a child, customs opened every single parcel I used to get from my family in the UK and even robbed any sweets they could find. As far as I know it is still so.

I try my very best to do pick up only for cash, at least they can test the item and I avoid paypal fees. It narrows the possibility of sales, but it saves the stress of waiting for some stranger to receive the parcel and be honest about its contents.