Levitating Turntable

snap, crackle and pop
lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Levitating Turntable

Post by lenjack » 15 May 2019 15:19

This was never intended for the average earner. Also, to a large degree, it's obviously intended for those who want it as a show off piece, not so much as a listening piece.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 15 May 2019 17:25

lenjack wrote:
15 May 2019 15:19
....... not so much as a listening piece.
Not so much a turntable worthy of consideration then? "More show than go". Pointless. Spend the same money on a turntable that is interesting to look at and actually solves sonic problems instead of creating them.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 15 May 2019 18:15

While I like my table to look nice, I would never sacrifice performance for bling, and I'm sure the vast majority of folk here feel the same.

davidsrsb
long player
long player
Malaysia

Post by davidsrsb » 15 May 2019 22:55

For the new target market, they should build a WiFi streaming source in the base and just pretend to play LPs.

There, published on the Internet, so they cannot get a patent for the idea. [-X

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 16 May 2019 01:28

lenjack wrote:
15 May 2019 15:19
This was never intended for the average earner. Also, to a large degree, it's obviously intended for those who want it as a show off piece, not so much as a listening piece.
In the kickstarter you had to pay 940$ for the "immitation wood" for example, which back then had a considered retail price of 1490$.
Now this ain´t a price for an entry level tt of course, but its not unaffordable for an average earner even if he has to save his money for like three years to get one. But now prices are above 3k i think, which probably is too much for most average earners.
And they didn´t advertise it as a show off piece; some quotes from the kickstarter:

"By joining our love for music with careful integration of technology and high-range audio components, we’ve created a turntable of the future for the medium of the past. "

"At MAG – LEV Audio we love innovation and music. We were searching for a way to give people a better, newer way to experience vinyl records. By pushing the frontier of audio technology, ..."

"The First Levitating Turntable is designed for people who appreciate high quality sound and innovative design."

This quotes not only do imply that this tt is an improvement in record playback, they actually say that it is.
They say that it were a good and better tt - that is not intending for show off.

MOIPOGI
Philippines

Post by MOIPOGI » 21 May 2019 17:29

Wow, quite a lot of hate for the poor Mag-Lev, probably almost on par with the KS backers who have yet to get theirs. I get that the execution is below expectations, but the creators have to be credited nonetheless for being able to put into production an actual production model that is relatively reliable for the average user.

Just to update mine, I can confirm that the table seems to be just as sensitive to footfalls just like any TT. I have mostly solved the footfall problem with my main deck (RP10) by attaching back the square plinth and using the Auralex TT platform, plus adding a bit of weight to the table on the lighter side. My next project is to solve the footfall problem on the Mag-Lev, which sits on an Auralex platform as well, I may have to add some items, maybe the inner tube trick that worked with my old Lenco with it's heavy plinth.

In any case, it's running with an Ortofon Blue now (at the recommended tracking force), and I also confirm that you can get a pretty decent sound off it, not as good my RP10 obviously, but it is more than passable. The wobble though will I think be present as I cannot seem to eliminate it entirely.

Have played it a small gathering in my music room and I have not experienced any overheating or any reluctance to start (save for one time I had to do a hard reset after I tripped the platter and it seemed to have moved to a "safe mode" where it would not start). I have also been able to use a record weight on the platter, and the only effect is that the platter rides lower, but is still able to spin at the correct speed (based on my ears). Seemed a bit more stable too, so I may try to experiment on that as well.

All in all, my previous opinion still stands: it's good deal at the KS price, but I would think twice of paying full current retail price, unless they : 1) minimise the platter wobble; 2) develop it so it can take MC carts; 3) maybe add a bit of suspension to counter the sensitivity to outside vibration/footfall.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 21 May 2019 18:43

Hello,

Perhaps wearing maglev boots would solve the footfall problems. I think I will initiate a Kickstarter program to help with the development ; any interested parties?😁

Mike.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 May 2019 19:01

MOIPOGI wrote:
21 May 2019 17:29
Wow, quite a lot of hate for the poor Mag-Lev, probably almost on par with the KS backers who have yet to get theirs. I get that the execution is below expectations, but the creators have to be credited nonetheless for being able to put into production an actual production model that is relatively reliable for the average user.

Just to update mine, I can confirm that the table seems to be just as sensitive to footfalls just like any TT. I have mostly solved the footfall problem with my main deck (RP10) by attaching back the square plinth and using the Auralex TT platform, plus adding a bit of weight to the table on the lighter side. My next project is to solve the footfall problem on the Mag-Lev, which sits on an Auralex platform as well, I may have to add some items, maybe the inner tube trick that worked with my old Lenco with it's heavy plinth.

In any case, it's running with an Ortofon Blue now (at the recommended tracking force), and I also confirm that you can get a pretty decent sound off it, not as good my RP10 obviously, but it is more than passable. The wobble though will I think be present as I cannot seem to eliminate it entirely.

Have played it a small gathering in my music room and I have not experienced any overheating or any reluctance to start (save for one time I had to do a hard reset after I tripped the platter and it seemed to have moved to a "safe mode" where it would not start). I have also been able to use a record weight on the platter, and the only effect is that the platter rides lower, but is still able to spin at the correct speed (based on my ears). Seemed a bit more stable too, so I may try to experiment on that as well.

All in all, my previous opinion still stands: it's good deal at the KS price, but I would think twice of paying full current retail price, unless they : 1) minimise the platter wobble; 2) develop it so it can take MC carts; 3) maybe add a bit of suspension to counter the sensitivity to outside vibration/footfall.
a) pretty decent sound
b) sensitive to footfalls
c) can't eliminate wobbles
d) can't take mc carts

As for b), no many other TT's are not sensitive to footfalls.

Other than this, and mediocre specs, it's a fine product.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 21 May 2019 19:10

lenjack wrote:
21 May 2019 19:01
a) pretty decent sound
b) sensitive to footfalls
c) can't eliminate wobbles
d) can't take mc carts
In other words, it's equal to the $79 AT LP-60. :lol:

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 May 2019 19:17

That might be going a little too far...perhaps the Heyday, available at Target?https://www.target.com/p/heyday-153-tur ... A-53734379 =P~

davidsrsb
long player
long player
Malaysia

Post by davidsrsb » 21 May 2019 22:33

Interesting about the footfalls, I am not surprised given the technology, but the frequent main marketing claim of any product using a magnetic support system is the isolation.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 22 May 2019 09:21

MOIPOGI wrote:
21 May 2019 17:29

Its tragic. The maglev-guys have showed that they are able to realize a project, but the construction prinziple - a magnetic levitated platter without spindle - will never be on pair with a traditional construction. It doesn´t matter how much effort they put into it, this construction prinziple is inferior, but they advertise it as something groundbreaking - this is why we critizie it.
As i said its tragic, because if they had taken a good constr. prinz. they could have built a real good tt at a competitive price - but now it probably is too late for that as some of the big players are comming back for tts.
Time will tell how reliable the maglev is.

I would not recommend you to use a platter weight as this should increase the overheat-problem.

davidsrsb
long player
long player
Malaysia

Post by davidsrsb » 22 May 2019 10:16

There was an opportunity for a direct drive done properly lower torque deck after the SL1200 was being dropped. The new Chinese made DDs lag the Technics designs in measurements by some margin
A good low torque sprung DD with a quality bearing and low resonance arm would wipe most decks on the market.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 22 May 2019 13:49

davidsrsb wrote:
21 May 2019 22:33
Interesting about the footfalls, I am not surprised given the technology, but the frequent main marketing claim of any product using a magnetic support system is the isolation.
That´s probably due to the tonearm being mounted to the plinth. The levitating platter is sort of decoupled (though the magnetic field will act similar to a spring, so the footfall still will go onto the platter but changed in frequency and intensitiy i guess) but the tonearm is mounted onto the plinth which does not seem to be damped/decoupled. So footfall should be going through the tonearm to the cartridge.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 22 May 2019 16:43

OK...then we need to levitate the arm.