Dual 1218 idler wheel noise

twice the fun
Eabbru

Dual 1218 idler wheel noise

Post by Eabbru » 06 Feb 2018 18:47

The idler wheel had a flat spot that made a very noticable thumping sound during quiet passages of a record. I remove the wheel and turned the diameter down a bit using my drill press and emery cloth. The thumping is gone, but I can hear a slight rumble sound. I believe I am hearing the platter as it travels past the idler. Is this normal or is there more that I can do to reduce the rumble?

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Dual 1218 idler wheel noise

Post by DSJR » 07 Feb 2018 17:37

Make sure the idler surface is truly smooth and without 'knobbles.' Failing that, replacement are out there and if it has to be a used one, organdonorparts may be able to help you. Do please note, the face on Dual idlers appears to be slightly curved or radiused and not truly flat as Garrard idlers are for instance...

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 08 Feb 2018 10:08

Hi,
If you really want to get rid of the maximum possible of the rumble, some people are rebuilding the old idler wheels to their original smoothness (new rubber ring).
Voice of Music.com are doing this for a reasonable price (they need the old part when you place the order).
http://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/phon ... urrets.asp

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hugh.

Eabbru

Post by Eabbru » 13 May 2019 13:27

Update:
I took your advice and purchased a rebuilt idler wheel from The Voice of Music. It did reduce the thumping sound, but it is still very audible. Any suggestions where to go from here?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 13 May 2019 14:06

Have you lubricated all the bearings: motor, spindle, and idler wheel?
Did you clean the inside of the rim?

Cheers,
Alec

Eabbru

Post by Eabbru » 13 May 2019 14:20

It's been over a year since I lubricated everything. What do you use to clean the inside rim?

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 13 May 2019 14:27

Alec is quite correct here. These decks ALL need servicing now and dry motor bearings don't help smooth quiet running either - look on the Dualcan site for pics and tips on motor cleaning etc...

There's a Russian chap doing interesting re-manufactured 1219/1229 idlers and I believe he offered to make a smaller wheel version for the 10" platter models if he was sent an original. There's a chap in Germany who can re-tyre Dual idlers too and he quoted me around E35 plus carriage (I can never find the spare dosh, so haven't yet used his services) -

https://schall-und-crema.webnode.com/dual-ersatzteile/

He does pimpels too, but I haven't tried them.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 13 May 2019 19:41

I use isopropyl alcohol and parer towel to clean things.
Any irregularity on the inside of the rim will affect the sound.

Cheers,
Alec

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 13 May 2019 20:12

Interesting report back re: the new-rebuilt idler from Voice of Music. I thought new, softer rubber would resolve this. There had been a service in the States which does this for any number of different machines including these, feedback had been good. Be aware 1218 would have a little more rumble than the larger 1219 in that particular lineup/production period, but there are hardly ever any complaints.

Inside platter drum surface (as Alec mentions) can be cleaned, and a rather fine paper helps to smooth and restore it; just gentle (I'm thinking a slightly diagonal pattern to the platter itself, evenly and smoothly, very fine paper, then the isopropyl and paper towel) movements all the way around, no fingerprints whatsoever after it's done. But if a new idler is noisy, then that says to me that the rubber is not quite soft enough, like a car tire which is good for 100k -- might be a little bit firm-riding.. Checking with another vendor might be the thing to do.

Also as Alec and DSJR mention, general servicing (motor bearings and platter bearing) would eliminate that aspect of the
excess rumble.

I'm searching idler rebuild services. Where are they when I want to find them? I remember this one was well thought-of:http://www.west-techservices.com/p7.htm

Another: http://terrysrubberrollers.com/

http://turntable-tuneup.com/idler-wheel-rebuilding/

In the limited time I have to search for more services before end-of-edit, I could not find the latest discussion on various services includint the Russian fellow.
Last edited by mrow2 on 13 May 2019 21:11, edited 5 times in total.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 13 May 2019 20:34

Hmm. My 1214 with 4 pole motor and 1216 cast platter is currently the quietest of all my Duals save the 701! I've yet to transplant the 'new' idler from this to my 1019 although this latter was quietened a lot with the 1214 cast-off wheel.

One thing to check. The motor wiring on these decks MUST be looped and totally free, not touching anything anywhere, but this is to minimise the high bass 'background drone' these motors can put into the stylus in quiet passages of music. The idler is the main culprit (10** harder compound wheels especially) and Dual did soften and 'thin down' the tyres in later models. If the noises are low pitched rumblings and grumblings though, I'd suspect a fault or contamination of the thrust race on the main bearing as well as possible contamination of the inner drive surface on the platter. Whirring style noises through the stylus could be the main cam not properly disengaging in 'play' mode.

Eabbru

Post by Eabbru » 14 May 2019 17:51

Thanks everyone for your responses. I cleaned the inner rim and the idler wheel and the noise is now at a more acceptable level. I had descibed the sound as a thumping noise, but actually is sounds more like a whirling noise. So DSJR's comment about the cam not properly disengaging interests me. I had replaced the cam at one time and I'm wondering if I did something wrong or it needs adjusting. How do I check for this?

mrow2
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by mrow2 » 15 May 2019 19:10

I have one other thought unless it's already above and I didn't see it: In cases like this be sure the idler wheel is flat horizontal when driving the platter and not a "toe-in" sort of situation which happens surprisingly often. Be very careful with the cast idler bracket but it seems to be able to tolerate a slight, firm "alignment" effort. You sort of need to eyeball the straightness of it with the platter off and only adjust if it seems bent down a bit. If others have had the platter off, the idler can be caught by the rim edge as platter is being lowered by someone who doesn't know the issues. It can be gradually bent in this manner. Retracting the idler with the speed shift will prevent this. Remove all fingerprints on idler and drum prior to reassembly.

Eabbru

Post by Eabbru » 15 May 2019 20:52

The idler bracket appears to be fine, but there seems to be too much play between the bracket shaft and idler hole. I can rock the idler back and forth. With the platter off and the motor on I can see the idler wobble up and down against the drive.

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 15 May 2019 21:35

Should not be that much play at all. Sounds like either the shaft or the idler bushing is worn out. I'd bet on the softer material, the bushing ..

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 16 May 2019 11:59

Re the cam. I believe later models used the muting 'fingers' to park the cam in the 'rest' position, although I gather that some decks (earlier ones?) have assistance using the main lever 'stud' which is encouraged to a park position as well.