Budget record collecting

name that tune
Post Reply
Thomajon
junior member
junior member
United States of America
Posts: 22
Joined: 23 Feb 2019 12:25
Location: Indiana

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by Thomajon » 21 Mar 2019 16:07

vinyl master wrote:
21 Mar 2019 04:56
Thomajon wrote:
21 Mar 2019 02:21
What's a budget? Lol

I really do need to go do some thrifting.
Where are you at in Indiana, Thomajon? I could give you a list of places worth checking out, if you were interested...For example, are you anywhere near Orbit Music in Mishawaka? I've bought quite a few records online from them in the past...

In any case, when I say budget record collecting, I'm talking about records from the dollar bins, the 25-50 cent "throwaway" finds you might see at the thrift stores...Heck, at one of my thrift stores, I've even paid 10 cents a record! You can also get some higher-priced items for cheaper on special sale days...The key is to find out what sales YOUR local thrift store is doing, using any coupons when you can, etc. You can even find records for cheap on Craigslist and at antique stores, antique malls, bookstores and flea markets...You just have to know where to look...I have done ALL OF THAT, and I've had a lot of fun in the process! I will warn you, though...You might not find everything you're looking for thrifting, but it's that one time or two times you find something REALLY GOOD that makes the hunt worth it! :D Take it from someone who KNOWS what that's like! :wink:
Haha, I know of a few places I could find some cheap, used records. I don't live too far from Indy. Half Price Books has a lot of records, but I haven't been there in a few months (I'm also a hoarder of books lol). Of course, there's Goodwill, but I've never checked their records out. I've only recently gotten into vinyl. I've pretty much gotten the main records I've really wanted, by bands and artists I really enjoy deeply. That hasn't been cheap, but it's been worth it. However, I appreciate all different genres of music, and I would like to go thrifting for some random records, soon.


Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7513
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by Tinkaroo » 30 Mar 2019 09:55

I managed to pick up the following in great shape for a buck each recently.:

-Moe Koffman-Live at Georges-2 LP
-Jane Morgan-Greatest Hits
-Jane Morgan-The Day The Rains Came
-Little River Band- First Under The Wire
-Anne Murray- Honey, Wheat and Laughter
-Bert Kaempfert- Christmastide with Bert Kaempfert
-Bert Kaempfert- Swingin Safari
-David and Jonathan-Michelle
-Dean Martin-sings songs from The Silencers
-Henry Mancini-Best of Volume 2
-Henry Mancini-Encore, More of The Concert Sound of

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7513
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by Tinkaroo » 11 May 2019 11:05

I found a few LPs in great shape for a buck apiece today.

-Gary Lewis and The Playboys-This Diamond Ring

-Al Hirt-Swingin Dixie at Dan's Pier 600

-Cliff Richard and the Shadows- Summer Holiday

Also a couple of CDs:

-REO Speedwagon-The Hits

-Nancy Wilson-If I Had My Way

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20405
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by vinyl master » 15 Jun 2019 18:30

Well, yesterday's finds include a strange mix...But include 6 CD's at 10 cents a pop! Must have been a "special day" at the Sally Ann...I paid close to $4.00 for the 6 CD's, 4 pieces of sheet music, one album and a digital camera and the camera was $2.00! :D

Anyway, the CD's were...

1. Mark Isham's soundtrack for "A River Runs Through It"
2. "Albinoni's Adagios" on the Erato label (23 of his most famous adagios)
3. Nat King Cole "Capitol Collector's Series"
4. Sade "Stronger Than Pride" (I have the tape and the LP, but I never pass up Sade in the thrift store!)
5. Some compilation titled "Kinky Bossa Nova", featuring artists like Bebel Gilberto, Combustible Edison, Cloudberry Jam, Fantastic Everlasting Gobstopper and The Legendary Jim Ruiz Group...
6. George Winston "Linus & Lucy: The Music Of Vince Guaraldi"

The album was a Canadian compilation titled "Beautiful Music" on the Precision label, featuring 70's hits from Rupert Holmes, Burton Cummings, Jennifer Warnes, Anne Murray, Zwol and others...

The sheet music included these four...

1. Ella Mae Morse "The Blacksmith Blues"
2. Redd Stewart "Slow Poke"
3. Ray Smith "Mockin' Bird Hill"
4. The Four Tunes "Sugar Lump"

Again, I never fail to find or discover interesting things at my local thrifts... :-k

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 1023
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 15:56
Location: South Mpls., 25 miles southeast of Rogers (Mn.)

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by DasherF » 15 Jun 2019 18:49

VERY interesting grabs, vm! Kinky Bossa Nova! Oof-oof! (Always liked the bossa nova thing, growing up...blame it, right?)
Sally Ann...we're not talking about the hair-care shop, are we? If so, I gotta start looking in mime around here...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20405
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by vinyl master » 15 Jun 2019 18:59

DasherF wrote:
15 Jun 2019 18:49
VERY interesting grabs, vm! Kinky Bossa Nova! Oof-oof! (Always liked the bossa nova thing, growing up...blame it, right?)
Sally Ann...we're not talking about the hair-care shop, are we? If so, I gotta start looking in mime around here...
Yes, indeed, Dasher...The good ol' Salvation Army, my friend...And to come to find out that one of the artists on that compilation wrote a song about your hometown...Check it out!



This is the song on the comp...



Lots of stuff like this, too...




DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 1023
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 15:56
Location: South Mpls., 25 miles southeast of Rogers (Mn.)

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by DasherF » 15 Jun 2019 19:42

OOOHHH, SALVATION ARMY... (didn't know it went by that name...) I was confused...
Yeah, got a bunch of them around here, check 'em when by them...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7513
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by Tinkaroo » 15 Jun 2019 21:05

We use the name Sally Ann as a nickname for the Salvation Army too.

Seeing how vinyl master is buying all this Canadian content music, we may make him an honorary Canuck. After all he was a Gordie Howe fan and probably Stan Mikita too!

We need to get him brushed up on the lingo though. He's got to learn what's a fin, a sawbuck and a double sawbuck. Also what it means to go for a Timmie's etc.

Also to say a drink of pop rather than a soda! #-o

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 1023
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 15:56
Location: South Mpls., 25 miles southeast of Rogers (Mn.)

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by DasherF » 15 Jun 2019 21:17

Being close to the "Great White North" as I am...and having Canadians in the the family, I have heard many terms. Sally Ann was a new one on me...as well as Timmie? I do drink "pop", tho...I get correctted all the time...my response? "What ever"... or, "same thing "... :roll: 8) :lol:
"Sally Ann"...got it! Thanks, Tink!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20405
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jun 2019 01:30

Tinkaroo wrote:
15 Jun 2019 21:05

Seeing how vinyl master is buying all this Canadian content music, we may make him an honorary Canuck. After all he was a Gordie Howe fan and probably Stan Mikita too!
Well, you're gonna hate me, Tink...But, I walked into a different thrift store, my St. Vincent De Paul shop...and well...I'm not as brushed up on the CanCon as you might think...There was a CD copy of Ashley MacIsaac's "Hi! How Are You Today" for sale cheap and I didn't pick it up! #-o When I was looking at the song titles, one stood out to me and probably what you're thinking of me for not buying the CD...



What'd I miss out on??? :-k

Still, there were TONS of classic country CD's and albums, so I picked up the following twelve LP's for cheap...

1. WILLIE NELSON Pretty Paper (Columbia)
2. WILLIE NELSON Half Nelson (Columbia)
3. BRENDA LEE Feels So Right (MCA)
4. DOLLY PARTON Great Balls Of Fire (RCA Victor)
5. BRENDA LEE Sings Top Teen Hits (Decca)
6. PAUL ANKA Diana (ABC-Paramount)
7. JERRY BUTLER Aware Of Love (Vee-Jay)
8. GEORGE JONES 16 Greatest Hits (Starday)
9. GEORGE JONES Golden Hits (Gusto)
10. JEANNIE C. RILEY Sock Soul (Little Darlin')
11. JO BASILE & HIS ORCHESTRA My World (Columbia)
12. BOXCAR WILLIE King Of The Road: 20 Great Tracks (Warwick)

Some bought for the covers, some bought for the music, but all cheap! 11 of the 12 still had their original shrink wrap on them, so a well-cared for collection at any rate! =D>

cary114
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 101
Joined: 21 Sep 2018 21:07
Location: Buffalo Wyoming

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by cary114 » 16 Jun 2019 02:26

vinyl master wrote:
16 Jun 2019 01:30
Tinkaroo wrote:
15 Jun 2019 21:05

Seeing how vinyl master is buying all this Canadian content music, we may make him an honorary Canuck. After all he was a Gordie Howe fan and probably Stan Mikita too!
Well, you're gonna hate me, Tink...But, I walked into a different thrift store, my St. Vincent De Paul shop...and well...I'm not as brushed up on the CanCon as you might think...There was a CD copy of Ashley MacIsaac's "Hi! How Are You Today" for sale cheap and I didn't pick it up! #-o When I was looking at the song titles, one stood out to me and probably what you're thinking of me for not buying the CD...



What'd I miss out on??? :-k

Still, there were TONS of classic country CD's and albums, so I picked up the following twelve LP's for cheap...

1. WILLIE NELSON Pretty Paper (Columbia)
2. WILLIE NELSON Half Nelson (Columbia)
3. BRENDA LEE Feels So Right (MCA)
4. DOLLY PARTON Great Balls Of Fire (RCA Victor)
5. BRENDA LEE Sings Top Teen Hits (Decca)
6. PAUL ANKA Diana (ABC-Paramount)
7. JERRY BUTLER Aware Of Love (Vee-Jay)
8. GEORGE JONES 16 Greatest Hits (Starday)
9. GEORGE JONES Golden Hits (Gusto)
10. JEANNIE C. RILEY Sock Soul (Little Darlin')
11. JO BASILE & HIS ORCHESTRA My World (Columbia)
12. BOXCAR WILLIE King Of The Road: 20 Great Tracks (Warwick)

Some bought for the covers, some bought for the music, but all cheap! 11 of the 12 still had their original shrink wrap on them, so a well-cared for collection at any rate! =D>
Nice selections VM =D> =D> =D>

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 1023
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 15:56
Location: South Mpls., 25 miles southeast of Rogers (Mn.)

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by DasherF » 16 Jun 2019 02:39

vm...novel thought! I have a St. Vince in my part o'town...haven't been there in a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20405
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jun 2019 02:44

cary114 wrote:
16 Jun 2019 02:26
vinyl master wrote:
16 Jun 2019 01:30
Tinkaroo wrote:
15 Jun 2019 21:05

Seeing how vinyl master is buying all this Canadian content music, we may make him an honorary Canuck. After all he was a Gordie Howe fan and probably Stan Mikita too!
Well, you're gonna hate me, Tink...But, I walked into a different thrift store, my St. Vincent De Paul shop...and well...I'm not as brushed up on the CanCon as you might think...There was a CD copy of Ashley MacIsaac's "Hi! How Are You Today" for sale cheap and I didn't pick it up! #-o When I was looking at the song titles, one stood out to me and probably what you're thinking of me for not buying the CD...



What'd I miss out on??? :-k

Still, there were TONS of classic country CD's and albums, so I picked up the following twelve LP's for cheap...

1. WILLIE NELSON Pretty Paper (Columbia)
2. WILLIE NELSON Half Nelson (Columbia)
3. BRENDA LEE Feels So Right (MCA)
4. DOLLY PARTON Great Balls Of Fire (RCA Victor)
5. BRENDA LEE Sings Top Teen Hits (Decca)
6. PAUL ANKA Diana (ABC-Paramount)
7. JERRY BUTLER Aware Of Love (Vee-Jay)
8. GEORGE JONES 16 Greatest Hits (Starday)
9. GEORGE JONES Golden Hits (Gusto)
10. JEANNIE C. RILEY Sock Soul (Little Darlin')
11. JO BASILE & HIS ORCHESTRA My World (Columbia)
12. BOXCAR WILLIE King Of The Road: 20 Great Tracks (Warwick)

Some bought for the covers, some bought for the music, but all cheap! 11 of the 12 still had their original shrink wrap on them, so a well-cared for collection at any rate! =D>
Nice selections VM =D> =D> =D>
Well, it was my Dad who got me hooked on classic country! I didn't mention this, but I also picked up a Daniel O'Donnell Christmas CD (He was my dad's favorite singer), Van Morrison's "The Healing Game" (which I didn't have) and for a friend, the "Pure Funk" compilation, which I just love, along with a nice wooden $3.00 CD crate to hold them all! :)
Last edited by vinyl master on 16 Jun 2019 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20405
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jun 2019 02:50

DasherF wrote:
16 Jun 2019 02:39
vm...novel thought! I have a St. Vince in my part o'town...haven't been there in a long time. Thanks for the reminder!
Time to start thrifting some more, Dasher, so you can add to this thread! Find out what the "special days" are and you might get your purchases for less...For instance, certain days are "senior days"...Other days, all electronics are half-off...Each day is different! The other day you could get any men's clothing on sale if you were wearing blue in my Sally Ann...I was wearing blue, but I didn't buy any clothes...Still, I came away with some good cheap music! :)

Post Reply