JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

The Beatles: a musical appreciation and analysis

Post by JDJX » 30 Apr 2019 19:22

The Beatles: a musical appreciation and analysis, by composer, Howard Goodall

The video is over 45 minutes long but, well worth watching ..... particularly for anyone who can not grasp why The Beatles were / are so popular.

Jampot90
England

Re: The Beatles: a musical appreciation and analysis

Post by Jampot90 » 30 Apr 2019 21:40

Excellent!

Thanks for bringing that to our attention:-)

Jim

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 02 May 2019 00:18

Yeah.. most documentaries about The Beatles just focus on the chronological order of their popularity but, do not delve into why they became so popular..... :)

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 02 May 2019 02:02

I know a lot of people who say they love music, love modern, contemporary music, but don't get for a moment that much of the acceptance and appreciation for the many current styles of music is largely due to the exploration of these alternate music concepts and ideas by the four boys from Liverpool! They managed to explore and open up the appreciation and possibility of new views on what constituted modern music. Imagine if the creative advance had stopped at Ricky Nelson and Pat Boone (who have their place in the history of popular music). I am an original fan of the Beatles, and although I don't listen to them as often as I once did, cannot forget for a moment that they were instrumental in kicking down the doors of acceptability towards music in their day. They led the way for many of the contemporary bands we all love and enjoy. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 02 May 2019 03:14

I remember the very first time that I ever heard The Beatles . or even heard of the name . 'Beatles" ...
It was "I want to Hold Your hand" on AM radio..... on my clock radio in my bedroom .
It was not like anything that I ever head before and I instantly knew that they were something special .
Even in that one early song, they went to musical places that no rock band ever went to before
Also, the lyrics were about a simple human emotion and to the point,.... I just want to hold your hand..... and did not have the standard "moon June, spoon" love song lyrics of the day.

It may seem common place now but, they were truly ground breaking.

Ear today
France

Post by Ear today » 07 May 2019 17:19

And that was even before they met Uncle ganja.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 09 May 2019 21:24

Ear today wrote:
07 May 2019 17:19
And that was even before they met Uncle ganja.
Actually, there is no way of knowing this definitively
All that is known is that they were more into mind altering substances latter on.

Don't forget that early on upon returning from Hamburg, Brian Epstine cleaned up their public image /act and presented therm as good wholesome boys.... leaving their leather jackets and bad boy image behind :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 May 2019 22:25

You know, my mom used to listen to the Beatles almost religiously back in the day...WKNR (or "Keener-13", as it was called) was a big station here in Detroit and she would switch up the volume on her transistor radio whenever they would come on...Her mother used to have to constantly tell her, "Turn down that "yeah, yeah, yeah" music!"... :lol: Her mother's passed, but I often wonder what she would think of today's music, if she thought those moptops were bad... :shock:

By the way (and just for the record), not EVERYONE loved them, ya know... :(

Of course, I dare you to name me one major rock star after that who, if pressed, wouldn't cite those English boys as seminal influences on their own music! :-k

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 10 May 2019 04:02

I recently picked up a new copy of Abbey Road on vinyl and decided to rip it to digital. In the process I did a lot of listening with headphones. Even after nearly 50 years of familiarity with Abbey Road, I was able to pick out small details in the recording I’d never noticed before.

What a great studio recording.

What great timeless music.

Crazy Legs
United States of America

Post by Crazy Legs » 10 May 2019 21:28

Looking forward to checking out the vid.

Also looking forward to this movie