An epiphany...Could THIS be the turntable everyone's looking for???

snap, crackle and pop
Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: An epiphany...Could THIS be the turntable everyone's looking for???

Post by Spinner45 » 06 Jan 2019 01:26

KentT wrote:
06 Jan 2019 00:48
Thunderbox wrote:
05 Jan 2019 23:22
KentT wrote:
18 Dec 2018 13:33
Not for me. The cheapest new turntable which fully meets my needs, happens to be the Technics SL-1200G. I don't need Bluetooth, sub par build quality, iffy reliability, features I don't need or want, a tonearm with less than precision bearings, or poorly isolated from the wood floors and gimpy feet which it must live with.
That's nice but for those people who don't care to pay for a 1200G and are just starting out it looks pretty good. I think what people are really afraid of is, these might just be a good value for the dollar and therefor it makes the 1200G look less valuable. If it gets people into the vinyl hobby in any way at all I am for it because as the demand for records increases we will see prices drop because of competition. Many think the 1200G at $3800 is about as attractive as the plague. Yes that is a picture of my SL-1000 MKII to the left.
Cheaper which must be upgraded or replaced is no bargain. For me, lesser is not going to get the job done new.
Like our own DNA, we all have different standards.
And like our individual way of thinking, some don't care how much they wind up spending over time.
Others, on the other hand, would rather buy good stuff and be done with it.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 06 Jan 2019 02:55

wrote:
05 Jan 2019 22:36
Dr_Wu wrote:
21 Dec 2018 23:44
Ceramic brake rotors are a real thing? :D
They are a ticking time bomb for cars with them. They last roughly 100,000 miles and then need to be replaced, for around $20,000. It will kill the resale value of cars that use them.

http://www.fusionbrakes.com/images/thum ... ose-up.jpg
I'm not so sure. Most of the cars that use them, are high-end exotic sports cars. Especially once you're talking carbon-carbon rotors...

with that said, I look at rotors the same was as pads, tires and wheels.. they're so consumable I run rotors that are cheap and do not heat load heavily.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 06 Jan 2019 03:00

I don't get it. Does the Heyday turntable use a ceramic rotor, or did I wander into the wrong forum?? #-o :?

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 06 Jan 2019 03:01

lenjack wrote:
06 Jan 2019 03:00
I don't get it. Does the Heyday turntable use a ceramic rotor, or did I wander into the wrong forum?? #-o :?
You can fit it with one, you know.. for track-days.

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 06 Jan 2019 18:41

wrote:
06 Jan 2019 16:50
dysmike wrote:
06 Jan 2019 02:55
wrote:
05 Jan 2019 22:36

They are a ticking time bomb for cars with them. They last roughly 100,000 miles and then need to be replaced, for around $20,000. It will kill the resale value of cars that use them.

http://www.fusionbrakes.com/images/thum ... ose-up.jpg
I'm not so sure. Most of the cars that use them, are high-end exotic sports cars. Especially once you're talking carbon-carbon rotors...

with that said, I look at rotors the same was as pads, tires and wheels.. they're so consumable I run rotors that are cheap and do not heat load heavily.
The problem is that they are used on some exotics that don't have much resale value at 100k. Most of them (like the mercedes) really take a resale hit anyway. Add the fact that they will be needing these soon, when they are worth about as much as it will cost to replace the brakes, and it's a startling proposition. Many owners will take the hit (not a big deal since they know the cars are expensive) and some used buyers will get hit between the eyes with it. It will hurt.
Fools who buy these cars without performing due diligence (failure to research all of the pros and cons of exotic car ownership) deserve exactly what they get and it's not limited exclusively to ceramic brake rotors.

Cheers,
Al

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 06 Jan 2019 18:50

Why is this here? Are folks who buy the $99 Heyday turntable going to buy an exotic $100k sports car with ceramic brake rotors?

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 06 Jan 2019 18:51

lenjack wrote:
06 Jan 2019 18:50
Why is this here? Are folks who buy the $99 Heyday turntable going to buy an exotic $100k sports car with ceramic brake rotors?
Donno, but there are a lot of similarities between audio and sports cars...

At least in the kinds of people that buy them, what they're willing to spend, how they use them.. etc.. etc.. etc..

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 06 Jan 2019 18:57

Let's reverse this. Use the Heyday platter as your brake rotor. No wow and flutter, and rumble inaudible below vehicle noise. :mrgreen: =D> =P~ #-o

1770_ron

Post by 1770_ron » 24 Jan 2019 16:18

In the weeks which have elapsed, have any of you seen reviews of this $99 turntable or know somebody who has purchased one? Like many, I'm wary about the workmanship, quality and overall performance especially given so many of the "check the box" features like replaceable cartridge and headshell, anti-skating et al., but who knows?

Snagtooth
United States of America

Post by Snagtooth » 01 May 2019 17:06

What are the dimensions of the conical feet (measured from center to center) front to back? Trying to determine if it will fit on a narrow shelf I have. Thanks.

Side note - would appreciate any recommendations for a narrow/smallest plinth TT. Trying to replace a low end unit that sits on a 11.5" deep shelf.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 01 May 2019 17:36

How do you play 12" LP's?

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 01 May 2019 22:22

Snagtooth wrote:
01 May 2019 17:06
What are the dimensions of the conical feet (measured from center to center) front to back? Trying to determine if it will fit on a narrow shelf I have. Thanks.

Side note - would appreciate any recommendations for a narrow/smallest plinth TT. Trying to replace a low end unit that sits on a 11.5" deep shelf.
Did you miss this topic...... :-k

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110477

There's always the Sony, however, they are basically a$tronomical....... #-o

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-f9.shtml

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know.
JoeE SP9 wrote:
01 May 2019 17:36
How do you play 12" LP's?
Good luck and welcome to VE..... :)

Fred

rmurad38
United States of America

Post by rmurad38 » 14 Jun 2019 21:02

My impressions on this turntable:

I won't repeat everything that has been said, but something I have not seen posted anywhere are the specs, it DOES in fact have them in the manual. They aren't overly impressive nor totally complete, but here you go:

General:
Power requirements: AC120 V ~ 60Hz
Power Consumption: 5 W
Dimensions (WxHxD): 43.9 cm x 35.5 cm x 14.4 cm (approx.)

Record Player section
Motor: DC Servo Motor
Drive System: Belt Drive
Speeds: 33-1/3 rpm, 45 rpm,
"Wow Flutter" Less than 0.25% (WTD)
S/N Ratio: 55db
Cartridge Type: Moving Magnetic Cartridge
Stylus: AT3600L
RCA OUT: 200-280 mV (5cm/sec at 1KHz-10db)
Phono out: 3-4mv ((5cm/sec at 1KHz-10db)

BLUETOOTH TRANSMIT
Bluetooth Version: Bluetooth V4.2
Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP
Bluetooth Frequency range: 2.402-2.480GHz
Operating Distance: 10 meters (33 ft.)

So, I purchased one of these for use in my living room. I don't have a proper system down there and in fact hooked to the TV is a (horrors) Samsung Soundbar with BLUETOOTH. Unpacking the perfect box, no dents scuffs, etc I noticed the dust cover is cracked. the way its packed (top of the box, nothing but a piece of thin foam between the outer carton and the cover, im not surprised. This one will have to go back. But I figured while I had the box open, I might as well check it out. The rest of the parts are packed fine and there was no further damage. Anyway I set it up, though don't follow the instructions on Anti-Skate, as mentioned before, they are wrong telling you to keep it at "0" unless you have "skipping" issues. I set it to the recommended 2.5 Grams mentioned elsewhere in the manual and its playing and tracking fine.

The sound, well all I can say is that it seems fine, the SQ of the AT3600L has been beaten to death here so it is what it is. More importantly, I feel (since the stylus or cart is very easily upgraded) are the other qualities. Rumble seems very low, as in on my soundbar I cant hear any. there is no 60Hz hum, No hiss beyond what the record itself may contain, and the amount of clicks and pops seem quite low too. The Bluetooth transmission does not sound compromised in any way in that they seem to be broadcasting a full range signal, lows and highs sound about what you expect a AT3600L to sound like (no artificial cutting off of the highs or lows) and output volume is fine. I did not test the RCAs at Line or Phono level because in this setup, id likely never use them.

I think where this table excels compared to the low end Crosleys and the like is construction and build quality. Yes the player is light weight, but the plinth is made out of thin MDF, the platter is aluminium, Tonearm is metal, there is a minimal amount of plastic in this thing surprisingly enough. The feet are conical and sprung which helps with vibration too. The Bluetooth paring was dead simple. My speed and stability(on 33 1/3) seems fine, though I cant know for sure without a test disk, I have not tried any 45s so I cant speak for that. Speed adjustment is easy enough if it s not. I hope my replacement is a decent a sample as this one is. Can't really fault it for a broken cover, but maybe better packaging could help. When I get the new one, I'll update this post if there is anything worth mentioning.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Jun 2019 04:06

Interesting, rmurad...It may not be the best table, but not many of us have seen one out of the package up close, either...I'm sure there are pros and cons, as with any table, but it's good to have some firsthand objective accounts, without the normal biases...and let's face it, we all have SOME biases! #-o

In any case, when you get the new one, keep us posted! Hopefully, the cracked dust cover was just an anomaly... :-k

If you can and you have a tracking force gauge or digital gauge, I'd love to see what numbers on that you can pull up on that...I'd like to know how it responds with a different cartridge/stylus combo (than the AT3600) for comparison, too...My guess is that some cartridges may work better with it than others... :-k

Steve64

Post by Steve64 » 15 Jun 2019 17:02

How about for an eleven year old grandson who likes Sinatra?!